New laws target people in Thailand who smoke at home

webfact

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Quite agree. I grew up around the smells of my granddad's pipe, my dad's cigars, my schoolfriends' ciggies and my college mates' weed. Never really took up smoking myself as I found it too rough on my throat, but I can honestly say I wasn't bothered by passive smoke and I'd go as far as to say it makes me quite nostalgic. If it did get a bit too smoky in the car or on the bus, you'd wind down the window a bit.

It brings to mind the comment of Wayne 'Purple' Hays in True Detective, that the whole younger generation is "a bunch of pussies". 

The absurdity of this law is that if any member of any household had been tested for respiratory problems during the crazy peak pollution months earlier this year, virtually every person tested would have shown a positive. 

I remember when I was an apprentice back in 1965 getting the bus to work at 7 am if it was full and had to go upstairs where you only allowed to smoke OMG 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, faraday said:

Doesn't anyone think that limiting or banning smoking with children or the elderly present is a good idea?

Of couse it is, but I think most parents who smoke don't do it in front of their children.

"Thailand face having their life expectancy cut short by about 18 years and that 72,000 people die from the effects of smoking each year."

How about enforcing the laws concerning the wearing of helmets on motorbikes...that might be a great improvement in caring for the health of the families mentioned in this article.

Agreed.  This is all about shifting people's rights away from them and nothing to do with health.

I have no doubt that smoking causes several conditions but to be fair I have never been offered concrete proof.  Only statistics that so that so many smokers get this and that but no direct link to smoking.  

I have said before that if there is a direct link to smoking then why haven't governments been imprisoned for murder.  If a person knowingly poisons another then it is murder.

In the hands of the Department of Women and Family affairs?
So! - How is this a domestic violence issue? - Do only Thai men smoke?

Worse still - I can see many gullible farang who have Thai female partners being set under this mess - - - -

On the other hand - the number of Chinese tourists who smoke will get cleaned up and THAILAND WILL BE RICH !

Who am I kidding - - - - - - -

Nanny State. It  is clear that there people here who have time on the hands and do not know what to do with it, you would think they have more important things to do really and whats the betting that the people who come with this are tea totallers and non-smokers? I have not smoked for over 40 years but if people want to smoke in their own homes its up to them and how will they enforce it, cannot see the Police doing it can you?

7 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Anyway, i've just read the law myself. There's not a single word about smoking.

It's all about domestic abuse (violence) in families.

Journalists, hello??

No surprises there! The Thai approach - "Lets slip it in where nobody notices"

Sort of like the smoking ban on beaches - 24 beaches in the whole of Thailand <deleted> ! - EVERY other beach is ok!

I suspected smoke and mirrors when I saw who they gave the jurisdiction to - Women!

Doesn't anyone think that limiting or banning smoking with children or the elderly present is a good idea?

Smoke with other smokers only, yes. Inflict on others no.

It really is not about bossing people in their own homes.

Yes very true
I mentioned it to my Pal from Derry
And he said in the uk you will get arrested if you smoke in a car with kids- i get that
But before you start dishing out the orders
Get rid of all the plastic first !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Quite agree. I grew up around the smells of my granddad's pipe, my dad's cigars, my schoolfriends' ciggies and my college mates' weed. Never really took up smoking myself as I found it too rough on my throat, but I can honestly say I wasn't bothered by passive smoke and I'd go as far as to say it makes me quite nostalgic. If it did get a bit too smoky in the car or on the bus, you'd wind down the window a bit.
It brings to mind the comment of Wayne 'Purple' Hays in True Detective, that the whole younger generation is "a bunch of pussies". 

The absurdity of this law is that if any member of any household had been tested for respiratory problems during the crazy peak pollution months earlier this year, virtually every person tested would have shown a positive. 

I miss my Grandad ( his Nickname was Grandad Pipe/Grandad Peppy
( Peppy was his parrot)
He had some great pipes , but when he died, his wife through them all in the bin, i was gutted, i would have them all on display in my house right now if i had the choice !
He probably spent a fortune on them !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

OMG as a non smoker I fully support non smoking in public places but in your own home is going that little to far if they are going to introduce these rules then it’s time they legalised vapours to help people reduce their tobacco intake  

The GOVERNMENT MINISTERS ARE SO COMICAL WITH THE LAWS MAKING OUT THEY CARE FOR THE PEOPLE. 

What about the damage that is caused with burning the grass, weeds and clearing the rice fields. Does that not call for some sort of health restrictions because many people suffer. Up north the tourists stay away that time of the year.

but that is far to complicated for the MP's talk about. 

It would NOT be allowed in a western part of the world.

Might be useful for condo projects that are passing condo rules banning smoking in the rooms and condo grounds.  I'd like to see more enforcement of no smoking in public areas, especially restaurants.  And, as many have said, more effort on air pollution. Probably should re-think saying 'more effort' as there has mostly been none.

read this the other day and thought it was a joke article or meant to be satire. guess not. second hand smoke, unless maybe in a closed car or small sealed up room, is 10000% bs and has been proven to be so.

just another government move to seek more power, control, and probably money.

when are the telescreens going to be installed to monitor everyone?

when govt will start screening select people for pre-crime violations and thought crimes?

Smoking at home may be against the law

nt1.jpeg

BANGKOK, 21 June 2019 (NNT) - Those who smoke at home and affect the health of others may be considered to have broken the law as suspected perpetrator domestic abuse.

In the 18th Tobacco and Lung Health academic conference, Lertpanya Buranabandit, director general of the Department of Women’s Affairs and Family Development under the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, confirmed that the Family Development and Protection Act B.E. 2562, which will become effective on August 20, 2019, aims to prevent severe hazards to family as well as promote the welfare of family members. Any person considered to have caused a severe hazard to the physical and mental health, freedom or reputation of a member of the family is subject to legal penalties.

That may result in a criminal lawsuit in cases of physical assault and a lawsuit in the Central Juvenile and Family Court which may legally force the smoker at home to undergo a rehabilitation course and to quit smoking for the sake of family members.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG190621152647003

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-22

Smoking at home may be treated as domestic violence and subject to punishment

nt2.jpg

Smoking at home may be subject to legal punishment if it can be proven that his/her smoking habit is harmful to the health of the other people in the house, in accordance with the Family Protection and Development Promotion Act which us due to come into force on August 20th.

The new law, initiated by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, is aimed at making houses safe from hazards posed by cigarette smoke, with smoking to be treated as a form of domestic violence.

According to the centre for research and knowledge management for tobacco control, at the Faculty of Medical Science of Mahidol University, there are about 4.9 million households where one or more family members smoke and an average of 10.3 million people have become passive smokers because they have been inhaling smoke at home. Passive smokers are reported to be at greater risk of being affected by cancer.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/smoking-at-home-may-be-treated-as-domestic-violence-and-subject-to-punishment/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-22

19 hours ago, Eligius said:

This hypocritical incursion of government interference into EVERY aspect of people's lives is getting ridiculous. 

Recall

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The new laws, which were published in the Royal Gazette on 22nd May

This is the junta-appointed NLA law in an apparent rush to further crush human rights before a more legitimate NLA begins its legislation.

It now remains to be seen if PM Prayut and the majority pro-military NLA will begin to amend or abolish junta-NLA laws that violate Thai human rights, some of which incorporated 38 of Prayut's NCPO draconian Orders.

As Prayut may view his PM as having powers beyond the Thai constitution, good luck Thailand.

The brilliant strategy the army has for leading Thailand into the future.

1. Do not act, to develop an effective system for traffic safety, nor public safety. Do not bolster the highway patrol, nor make an effort to go after reckless drivers.

2. Do not work to arrest people in prominent positions, those who are connected, those in the army, those who are super wealthy, or those in the police force, who engage in human trafficking, illegal fishing, drug trafficking, or slavery.

3. Do not work to create a system of meritocracy, where ministers and people in important positions, are there due to skill, intelligence, vision and wisdom. Continue with your current system, based entirely on cronyism.

4. Do not do anything whatsoever, to improve the air quality, or environmental standards, so that the people of this nation can enjoy a higher quality of life.

5. Do not attempt to improve visa policy, nor make life easier for Western tourists, or ex-pats.

6. Do continue avoiding the fight against corruption, on all levels. 

7. Do continue avoiding any sort of plan for the nation's future. 

But, do continue interfering with people's lives, and do continue inflicting a sense of false purity, and fake morality on the nation. Do continue with excessive nationalistic fervor, which increases racism, decreases understanding, and moves the nation backwards, on countless levels.

Do continue with proclamations, declarations, crackdowns, and writing new laws, that you have no intention of enforcing. In the first five years, you rarely ever followed any of these up. After two weeks, all was forgotten.

Do continue sabotaging Western tourism, and promoting tourism nearly exclusively to India and China. This will insure the continued decline of the industry, and will not help with the well being of millions, who are involved in the industry.

Do continue protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are in the army, the high ranking police, and those who are well connected. 

Archived