British Tea Drinkers of Thailand

Buy of teabags back in the UK, any of the typical supermarket tea bag, Yorkshire tea, Tetley tea, etc.  They are such a rip of price over here I would never consider buying a bag!!

This I call my 'junk' tea, kind of like fast food I guess.  I have some milk and one sugar in it for my breakfast, and occasionally at night.  The rest of the time I drink 'real' tea... loose tea leaves.  I get them from local markets, up in the hills in CM area, or even hill tribe product shops.  You can get a massive selection of varieties and flavours.  I brew this kind of tea with hot water and never add any milk or sugar as that makes it taste revolting.  

The only tea I HATE is Earl Grey tea... to me is tastes of washing up liquid or perfume has been added to it.  Also I am not sure if I like or dislike the Matcha green tea (this tea you drink all the leaves too).  I think it tastes weird and maybe people only drink it as a healthy super food drink thing?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

The only tea I HATE is Earl Grey tea... to me is tastes of washing up liquid or perfume has been added to it.

That's bergamot. Some brands of Earl Grey contain more of it than others.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:37 AM, Dexlowe said:

The experts (whoever they may be) say the optimum temperature for which to brew black tea is 90C. This is about the temp of water in those jugs. But whether 90 or boiling, I've not noticed a big difference.

There are two ways of getting water at 90 ºC 

1. Heat the water to only 90 degrees.

2. Boil the water, then let it cool down to 90 degrees.

I have yet to find an expert opinion on which method is preferable.

Never had Yorkshire Tea and never will with a name like that ????

I usually buy Dilmah's Tea from Sri Lanka, at Villa; they do a box of 100 Ceylon Premium tea bags for +B200 which are good value. I occasionally buy a box of the more expensive Twinings (English Breakfast OR Ceylon OR earl grey).

Was recently back home in Manchester and visited Lancaster for a few nights (nice place). Visited Atkinson's shop, coffee roasters and tea merchants, to get some tea leaves for my old man. The shop was fantastic, like stepping back a century or more. They also have a branch now in Manchester. 

https://thecoffeehopper.com/about-atkinsons-coffee-roasters/

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

15 hours ago, Puccini said:

That's bergamot. Some brands of Earl Grey contain more of it than others.

I agree with you about EG, I believe Lady Grey has less bergamot, the stuff gives me a headache.

Those "tea/fruit infusions" are NOT TEA in any way shape or form

Best cuppa I had was in isaan. A small glass teapot with what I would call a filter in it. Fill the pot with hot water and put in a twig into the mesh filter thingy, which I presume was from a tea bush of some description.

Very very nice.

Took a couple of pots back to Oz. Along with some bum guns.

Archived