Fiber Optic Speed - Why Different Speeds?

Thomas J

I upgraded to fiber optic and opted for the 200/200 package.  I have a new Samsung Smart TV, an old Dell Laptop, and an Iphon 8+.   Why is it that I can get wireless speeds on the laptop that exceed 200mbps, and speeds in excess of 150mpbs on my Iphone connected wireless but speeds of only about 60 - 80 mbps on the TV?   The TV I have tried testing with both the wired and wireless connections, no difference.  Also, I consistently get speeds on the uploads that are faster than the downloads.  Why?  I was always told it was the other way around. 

Are you benchmarking to the same server from all devices?

Probably Samsung built a 100mbit network card in the TV (or your cable does not support more than this), because afaik even Netflix 4k doesn't exceed 20mbit/s. If this is the case then 80mbit/s real speed sounds reasonable.

The wireless connections are influenced by even more factors. How for is the TV away? How far the other devices? Using 5 or 2.4ghz?

But in the end that's not relevant, because 80 mbit/s are more than enough for a TV

About upload speeds... depends on to which server you are benchmarking.

Go on https://www.speedtest.net/ and select the server from your internet provider in your city, if you have full speed to this server then your connection is ok. A connection to any other server is influenced by too many factors to give a reliable result.

Make sure you're testing the same thing.

Every speed test that I'm aware of requires a co-operating computer on the other end of the communication path.  Are you using the same exact path and co-operating computer (as can best be determined)?

Please examine the details of how you conduct each of the speed tests and ensure as best you can that you are in fact measuring the same "thing".

I have no idea what type of processor or network interface is used in a smart TV.  I suspect the hardware components in a TV are not as fast or efficient as those in a computer or a phone.  That may be part of the reason the TV speed test is not up to snuff.

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Make sure you're testing the same thing.

Every speed test that I'm aware of requires a co-operating computer on the other end of the communication path.  Are you using the same exact path and co-operating computer (as can best be determined)?

Please examine the details of how you conduct each of the speed tests and ensure as best you can that you are in fact measuring the same "thing".

I have no idea what type of processor or network interface is used in a smart TV.  I suspect the hardware components in a TV are not as fast or efficient as those in a computer or a phone.  That may be part of the reason the TV speed test is not up to snuff.

I am not sure.  I am only a few feet away from the wireless connection with the laptop and the router is sitting directly in back of the TV.  When I test the laptop with the wireless I get speeds that exceed 200 MBPS connecting to the same server here in Thailand as the TV.  The TV, I have both an Ethernet connection and wireless.  The speeds are about the same ranging from about 65 - 90 MBPS and the upload speeds often go up to 100 mbps.  I just found it strange that an old laptop would with a wireless connection have speeds double that of a brand new TV.  I can only assume that the card or processor inside the TV can not handle the faster speed unless someone else has an idea of a setting change. 

Lucky you i have 100mbps and the CRAP Samsung tv (hardwire  linked to router)  will barely load pages,  called  Samsung, Oh your tv more than 3  months  old and it "does work" so get  lost basically, wont  be buying Shamsung again.

6 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I can only assume that the card or processor inside the TV can not handle the faster speed

Why would it? High bandwidth is pointless for a Smart TV. It wont have high processing power either.

7 hours ago, CLS said:

Are all devices using the 5 GHz band?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It is on the 2.4gh bandwith.  On the list of available networks the 5 GHZ network does not appear in the list of available wireless networks. 

6 hours ago, Thomas J said:

It is on the 2.4gh bandwith.  On the list of available networks the 5 GHZ network does not appear in the list of available wireless networks. 

You can't get very high speeds in 2.4ghz wifi. That's why your TV is getting slower speed. End of story.

19 hours ago, muratremix said:

You can't get very high speeds in 2.4ghz wifi. That's why your TV is getting slower speed. End of story.

I also hooked it up hard wired with the ethernet.  I finally got through to Samsung which tries to make answering any questions as hard as humanly possible.  The tech finally when pushed acknowledged the board inside the TV will not obtain speeds above 100 MBPS.  

46 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I finally got through to Samsung which tries to make answering any questions as hard as humanly possible.  The tech finally when pushed acknowledged the board inside the TV will not obtain speeds above 100 MBPS.  

I told you that yesterday morning. There is nothing even remotely surprising about this.

45 minutes ago, logder said:

Can it be that the more devices you connect the slower it gets?

No, again I am on the computer, no change whatsoever on my end.  I pick up the phone, call 3BB and complain.  They resend the signal. Instantaneously the speed goes up to over 200 MBPS.  Same computer, same devices, same everything. 

Archived