BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:23
Scott

SURVEY: Is the food in Thailand healthy?

SURVEY: Is the food in Thailand healthy?  

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a recent topic about the safety of food in Thailand.   Would you be willing to pay more for food that is grown organically?   Chose the option which best describes your opinion.  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

not great for thais, but suicidal for westerners genetics. thai people are able to get away with it due to economics. they simply just cannot afford to eat enough therefore are able to maintain a normal body weight (healthy bmi critical to overall health). you see it more and more everyday though, extremely overweight thai people, young ones spoiled by mommy and daddy. 

• Like 2

The FDA and health department have done several tests of certified organic food over the years, and the result is invariably that most of them are still contaminated with significant amounts of chemicals. Probably still better than non-organic produce. 

At least in Supermarkets (hopefully) they don't do what many fresh markets do:Use coloring, formaldehyde, borax etc to make meat, vegetables etc visually more attractive and to keep them 'fresh' longer. 

• Like 2

As a diabetic I struggle to find any Thai food at all that doesn't make me ill. I also stick to meat and veg as much as I can

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quack said:

As a diabetic I struggle to find any Thai food at all that doesn't make me ill. I also stick to meat and veg as much as I can

I am in the same diabetic boat and I agree with you if you are taking about eating out. Cooking Thai food at home can be healthy as you can easily control what's in it.

Also the poster Fred above should be aware that the white carbohydrates he mentions are the primary clause of diabetes and the main factor in obesity. As for obese Thais, yes there are now more than before but bear in mind you can be skinny and diabetic, and this is a huge problem for the Thai population. My FiL goes to the local Provincial hospital once a month and waits on his number with at least 200 others to check on their diabetes. White Rice for a diabetic is like kryptonite and should be avoided. 

It's taken me 2 years to get my gf to cut down on rice and she is seeing the benefits now. 

Good advice on buying local veg (look for insect holes) and at least you know there is potentially not too many chemicals used. I'd pay more but tbh i'd never be sure of honest packaging. 

Posted (edited)

MSG will spike insulin thats why its an issue for diabetes 

Edited by at15
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, madmen said:

70% boiled rice, some slivers of meat and served with 2 tablespoons of sugar and MSG

No thanks

Sounds like prison food, but I have no personal experience.

• Haha 1