30 baht to the pound on the horizon !

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Denim said:

Excellent news. What a great time to quit Thailand , liquidate assets here and take them back home.

Coming in got 75 ...... Taking back

home only have to pay 30.

haha yeah - time to cash in some of my thai assets as well. cha-ching!

Excellent news. What a great time to quit Thailand , liquidate assets here and take them back home.

Sure...I expect you still have all that money....never spent it...all still setting in your Thai bank acct.

But if you bought a residence with that money then enjoy the exchange profit when selling.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Sure...I expect you still have all that money....never spent it...all still setting in your Thai bank acct.

But if you bought a residence with that money then enjoy the exchange profit when selling.

Yep, and the property we bought back then has more than doubled in value.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Yep, and the property we bought back then has more than doubled in value.

Only if you can sell it. Thai people don't, or rarely, buy second hand, you certainly wont get what you paid for it, maybe half if lucky

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe the problem is selling it.

When Your miles in front on exchange selling is not a problem. My advice is don't sell yet both the Pound and AUD have a lot further to fall and the baht just gets stronger. I will think of selling in around another 3 years when western currencies are on their knees

17 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

check out the prediction for late 2022.

http://poundf.co.uk/pound-to-baht-forecast-gbp-to-thb 

yes, and of course they are always right, in which case we can all become millionaires with currency speculation.  The truth is  that forecasters haven't got a clue past next week, never mind over 3 or 4 years. Pick a number and guess, it will be just as accurate. 

An alternative scenario.  A Iran/ US conflict, involving both Saudi and a coalition of other Nations.  Oil price to $120 a barrel, dollar sores as do all the major currencies as speculators seek safe harbour for their money.  Asia goes into recession, Thai Bhat collapses. Meanwhile, the UK leaves the EU with a modified deal, the pound strengthens and the economists start whinging about damage to exports. Just as likely, if not more so.  

Just now, madmen said:

When Your miles in front on exchange selling is not a problem. My advice is don't sell yet both the Pound and AUD have a lot further to fall and the baht just gets stronger. I will think of selling in around another 3 years when western currencies are on their knees

That would be unlikely, temporary setbacks by one currency yes but not the West in general, Asia would have nobody to sell to. Currencies go up and down, equilibrium is found and lost again. Japan was once the rising star, there were properties in Tokyo worth more than California, India was the new boy on the block, then China but all currencies still match themselves to the Dollar, the Fed lowers rates and the world shivers in excitement, should the EU not do QE up shoots the Euro in Asia, China crashes through 7 and the West barely notices only Asia worries. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

yes, and of course they are always right, in which case we can all become millionaires with currency speculation.  The truth is  that forecasters haven't got a clue past next week, never mind over 3 or 4 years. Pick a number and guess, it will be just as accurate. 

An alternative scenario.  A Iran/ US conflict, involving both Saudi and a coalition of other Nations.  Oil price to $120 a barrel, dollar sores as do all the major currencies as speculators seek safe harbour for their money.  Asia goes into recession, Thai Bhat collapses. Meanwhile, the UK leaves the EU with a modified deal, the pound strengthens and the economists start whinging about damage to exports. Just as likely, if not more so.  

USA will never go to war with Iran, if they do we can all kiss our ass goodbye as it will be WW3, or maybe the door is open if they have done a deal with China and Russia for Venezalua?  

7 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

haha yeah - time to cash in some of my thai assets as well. cha-ching!

The problem is that, here in Thailand, it is a buyers market for property, but there are no buyers.

Any credible sources for your prediction?

Banks seem to think it will go to 34-36 range. I suspect will be 34-38 over the next few weeks but a general downward trend to 34+.

Haven't seen any forecasts lower than 34 so far.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Only if you can sell it. Thai people don't, or rarely, buy second hand, you certainly wont get what you paid for it, maybe half if lucky

Sorry , but that is such a myth. I have sold three properties here now, all sold within a month for a good price.

However, many do struggle to sell their houses because they don't know how to present them to the seller and they over

price what they are selling. All the places I have sold have looked as good as or better than new. When people come to look everything is sparkling clean with no rubbish or personal items to be seen. Like a high class hotel room in other words. As for the price....research and realism is the key.

If your house looks like a pigsty and you expect people to pay top dollar for it ......................good luck.....you'll need it.

39 minutes ago, GreenerGrass said:

USA will never go to war with Iran, if they do we can all kiss our ass goodbye as it will be WW3, or maybe the door is open if they have done a deal with China and Russia for Venezalua?  

I didn't say 'war', I said 'conflict', a whole different ball game, much like the 'conflicts' in Libya and Syria. I disagree, I think it highly likely that there will be some kind of military action, knowing the lunatics in Tehran and Trump's propensity for knee jerk reaction to being challenged. . 

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I think that 25  Baht / Pound is a real possibility if we get BoJo as Pm.

The man is a walking disaster area.

Don't worry. I have every confidence in Hunt. Bojo messed up as foreign secretary, and his last little shenanigans having the police called to his house has done for him. Bojo is not reliable and the wider electorate know it.

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Well, that is just one of our reasons for bailing in a fortnight. The antipodean dollars are faring equally badly.

I have no assets here "to speak of",   but my Thai wife and (hopefully long term) eventual beneficiary back home, owns property here from before we met. I have invested in that for improvement for her eventual benefit; and the shorter term and immediate benefit for family who are not as portable as us.

19 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

The week before the Brexit referendum my pension came in at 54.7 baht.

Yesterdsy I got 39.4.

Brexit is a total disaster for Britain expats, surely no one can deny that.

Ironic then that a lot of expats here support Brexit.

Hey....but don't worry. As soon as Boris gets in and we crash out with no deal the pound will shoot up again to 75 and all us Brits will be on the gravy train to easy living. 

( That is the mantra but personally I have my doubts )

Also kind of ironic is that while a lot of people here are dismayed at the tightening visa regulations here they are all for greater immigration control back in dear old blighty.

Funny old world innit ?

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That's a 2019 prediction for the $.

Prediction of GBP to Baht 2019 and future 37 low 41 high. 

True , but 1 October is only 3 months away for 2020 , maybe te prediction 30  could only be in delay ...and for 2020

Archived