30 baht to the pound on the horizon !

24 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

"originally sold as a free trade bloc"  yes, and in 40 years evolved. With the signature of all British prime ministers and even often ratified by the HoC.

18 jun. 2008 - The UK has effectively ratified the EU's reform treaty - despite the decision by Irish 

Democracy IS NOT the dictarorship of 50% + 1, but: the constitution limits the majority and protects the minority see  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105  or  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/19/camerons-eu-deal-what-he-wanted-and-what-he-got  with in Google.

Mr Cameron has secured a commitment to exempt Britain from "ever closer union" to be written into the treaties. He has also negotiated the inclusion of a "red-card" mechanism, a new power. If 55% of national parliaments agree, they could effectively block or veto a commission proposal.

What the British forgot: when you want to leave any organisation, you cannot insist that organisation changes all only to keep you as member.

First rule on Internet: verify first before you write.

"First rule on internet"..........what you actually mean is - don't disagree with anything puipuitom says.

The UK asked for some minor concessions in the run-in to this referendum e.g. due to put a temporary brake on persistent high levels of migration from Eastern Europe. The EU bloc not wish to do so and wore that as badge of pride. They are the rules. That is fine but it probably influenced the majority voted to leave. The referendum vote was designated as a majority vote - your definition of what constitutes "democracy" that someone put in Wikipedia is meaningless in this context. The rules were the majority won, no matter if it was 2% swing either side. If the vote had been set up as a leave vote requiring at 60%, then they would have been the terms. But they were not. That is it.

As for the Lisbon treaty - that was effectively promised by the governing party in UK as one that would be put to a public vote as it was a marked change of political direction. Result - no referendum carried out. Meanwhile, in Ireland, they had to have two goes to get the right result.

Meanwhile, the thread is supposed to be about GBP to THB exchange rates, not political point scoring about Brexit by posters like you and Moskito. Why not worry about Euro rates, they are hardly stellar. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, moskito said:

and btw, I am personally still belive SOMEONE should fix a huge engine on your Island and ship you off to your BIG BROTHER in the USA ...you belong their anyways more than you ever belonged to EUROPE ... Europe will show you how much they need you.
:
Leave us the better British, the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish - CHEERS

Time to lay off the Leo!

1 hour ago, MarkyM3 said:

"Governed from Brussels" means EU-wide laws circumventing lawmaking at a national partliament level. That is going to increase, it is the stated aim of the EU - closer integration. It has done over the course of the European project, it was originally sold as a free trade bloc. Nothing erroneous in those assertions.

As for your second point, a majority voted to leave. That's called democracy. How do you know what the impact is going to be of the UK leaving? The EU made zero effort to provide any concessions to David Cameron in the run-up to the referendum e.g. around a temporary brake on migration and made that quite public. So you should not be so surprised this result occurred. 

Democratic vote based on lies is not democracy, nor is not allowing people to change their minds. Every country in the EU is a sovereign nation and every country makes its own laws. The EU is only full of unelected ministers if you believe the recent EU elections didn’t really happen, or if you believe the nonsense you’re force fed by the self serving press.

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

only Currency still stable is the Swiss Frank ? ? 

First lesson for Internet: before you write anything, verify first, when you want to avoid to tell nonsense.

image.png.3d92681814b0efbdbc40ee7e94e67a57.png

image.png.b97653c9a62368cade335a35a74e1c4b.png

image.png.6da1cbb4a155981c3affc3c9742f26a3.png

ROFL.. i was NOT compairing to the looser USD or EURO or POUND ... check out the Exchange Rate  S`poreDollar or CHF against THAI BAHT before you proof you cant read or you dont understand. TiT ...not Europe or USA nor England!!!

And regarding your: ... First lesson for Internet: before you write anything, verify first, when you want to avoid to tell nonsense. ... yeah right... I  was talking about the Singaporean and Swiss Currency from 20years ago, its still the same exchange rate against the Baht, no idea what Chart you posted here

2 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

Voting for Brexit is a decision not to be governed from Brussels. Has nothing to do with liking or disliking European nations. Why are people like you so preoccupied with Brexit? It has no material impact on you apparently so why not direct your petty prejudices elsewhere (seems like you dislike French people as well - are they not compliant enough for you?). Do you hate Norwegians or Swiss because they aren't in the "project"?

nah, i just dont like the English really because they are having the same problems the Frensh have, always thinking THEY are something special and they are always first pointing with fingers at other people...
But one FAT +point to the Frensh, they join the streets sometimes while all others in Europe sit on their a....s and agree with every decision Bruxelles made.

4 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

Voting for Brexit  has no material impact on you .....

hah??? I had much more money before the <deleted> European Union was build and before they and Merkel told us we have to take and agree with half of Africa and supporting them with our pensions...
I dont know how old you are, when my pension was safe....unfortunately there is no money anymore for paying the old people and we will soon see a war young against old.....

3 minutes ago, moskito said:

nah, i just dont like the English really because they are having the same problems the Frensh have, always thinking THEY are something special and they are always first pointing with fingers at other people...
But one FAT +point to the Frensh, they join the streets sometimes while all others in Europe sit on their a....s and agree with every decision Bruxelles made.

The list of people you actually do like is probably much shorter than the list of those you don’t. Personally I have a dislike of nutters.

21 hours ago, Pib said:

Sure...I expect you still have all that money....never spent it...all still setting in your Thai bank acct.

But if you bought a residence with that money then enjoy the exchange profit when selling.

If you can sell in the best buyers market ever.

11 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

Voting for Brexit is a decision not to be governed from Brussels. Has nothing to do with liking or disliking European nations. Why are people like you so preoccupied with Brexit? It has no material impact on you apparently so why not direct your petty prejudices elsewhere (seems like you dislike French people as well - are they not compliant enough for you?). Do you hate Norwegians or Swiss because they aren't in the "project"?

99% of all laws are still made in Parliament not Brussels. Brexit affects everybody in one way or another.

15 hours ago, Denim said:

Ironic then that a lot of expats here support Brexit.

Hey....but don't worry. As soon as Boris gets in and we crash out with no deal the pound will shoot up again to 75 and all us Brits will be on the gravy train to easy living. 

( That is the mantra but personally I have my doubts )

Also kind of ironic is that while a lot of people here are dismayed at the tightening visa regulations here they are all for greater immigration control back in dear old blighty.

Funny old world innit ?

Yes!

You poms never know when to stop whinging and whining. It MUST be built into your DNA. The GBP isn't the only currency in serious decline against the baht. The US$ is down, the NZ$ is down the AUD as of time of writing is down to 21.25, so please stop complaining. All foreigners in Thailand, whether long stay or tourist are not getting what we used to, and this will continue until the Bank of Thailand stops manipulating the baht and fully floats it on the market the same as most currencies.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:11 PM, alanrchase said:

No need to fret. By the time you sign your trade agreement with the USA you will be using the US dollar.

Yes the moment they do the trade deal the Pound should appreciate at least 10% whereas the EURO will continue to tumble.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:44 PM, Fairynuff said:

Democratic vote based on lies is not democracy, nor is not allowing people to change their minds. Every country in the EU is a sovereign nation and every country makes its own laws. The EU is only full of unelected ministers if you believe the recent EU elections didn’t really happen, or if you believe the nonsense you’re force fed by the self serving press.

Yes the European parliament is even more democratically chosen than in the UK. However when the MEPS come to Brussels or Strasbourg they are presented with a pile of laws by the unelected European Commission. " Trust us. Our people have sorted it all out-please sign here...." 

4 hours ago, asiamaster said:

Yes the European parliament is even more democratically chosen than in the UK. However when the MEPS come to Brussels or Strasbourg they are presented with a pile of laws by the unelected European Commission. " Trust us. Our people have sorted it all out-please sign here...." 

Given the current state of UK government I think handing the entire UK over to EU control would be the best possible move

On 6/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, TigerandDog said:

You poms never know when to stop whinging and whining. It MUST be built into your DNA. The GBP isn't the only currency in serious decline against the baht. The US$ is down, the NZ$ is down the AUD as of time of writing is down to 21.25, so please stop complaining. All foreigners in Thailand, whether long stay or tourist are not getting what we used to, and this will continue until the Bank of Thailand stops manipulating the baht and fully floats it on the market the same as most currencies.

For the British there is an additional factor: 'Brexit' - i.e. leaving the European Union (EU).

The result of a UK-wide referendum back in June 2016 was for the UK to leave the EU and this led to an immediate and sharp devaluation of the British Pound.

The UK is due to leave the EU on 31st Oct this year, and unless a trade deal is agreed with the EU before this date there is likely to be a further sharp devaluation in GBP.  Hence the British have suffered a significantly greater loss of purchasing power than most other nationalities (from pre-June 2016 level) and are likely to suffer a further sharp drop.

Hence the British have justifiably more to whinge about.

1 hour ago, alzack said:

and of the poor sods with nothing here? no asserts? (wife's name etc) how can they stay here?

how will they support the visa?

Unfortunately I doubt most Thais will shed any tears. And I doubt your home country government will do anything to help! If you can't meet the visa requirements (and don't want to do anything illegal) then time to pack your bags and either head home or to a country with less stringent requirements.

One of the things that I've noticed in the UK since the Brexit referendum is a significant hardening of attitudes to expats (read the Daily Mail comments on any expat stories and you will frequently see them described as 'traitors') so don't expect a warm welcome if you're a returning Brit..

Its a tough old world.

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

Unfortunately I doubt most Thais will shed any tears. And I doubt your home country government will do anything to help! If you can't meet the visa requirements (and don't want to do anything illegal) then time to pack your bags and either head home or to a country with less stringent requirements.

One of the things that I've noticed in the UK since the Brexit referendum is a significant hardening of attitudes to expats (read the Daily Mail comments on any expat stories and you will frequently see them described as 'traitors') so don't expect a warm welcome if you're a returning Brit..

Its a tough old world.

Why do people spout absolute crap just to validate their own prejudice? 

On 6/26/2019 at 5:43 PM, stuandjulie said:

Why do people spout absolute crap just to validate their own prejudice? 

Well, you've got a rosey view of the world if you think anyone here or back in your own country is concerned about expats currently being hammered by the exchage rate.

And here's a comment I just copied off the Daily Mail UK website from an article about UK pensions....nice eh!

"Nobody in Thailand should be receiving a British old age pension. You are a traitor to the UK - spending UK pension funds to support another economy. I am aware your UK pension is frozen but post-Brexit we need to look at removing the pension entitlement of those living overseas (as the Australians have done). Oh, and 'Chonburi' fools no-one, we know you are a s_expat living in Pattaya - and a disgrace to Britain."

6 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Well, you've got a rosey view of the world if you think anyone here or back in your own country is concerned about expats currently being hammered by the exchage rate.

And here's a comment I just copied off the Daily Mail UK website from an article about UK pensions....nice eh!

"Nobody in Thailand should be receiving a British old age pension. You are a traitor to the UK - spending UK pension funds to support another economy. I am aware your UK pension is frozen but post-Brexit we need to look at removing the pension entitlement of those living overseas (as the Australians have done). Oh, and 'Chonburi' fools no-one, we know you are a s_expat living in Pattaya - and a disgrace to Britain."

That would surely be the death of the UK expats here. 

Archived