Myth: Strong baht deterring western tourists to Thailand

rooster59

It's the last 12-18 months that the drop in the euro has started to really hurt now it's under 35 and looks like the slide is not over yet.The impact of this will only be clear this winter when most of Scandinavian and northern European's escape the winter and now's the time we book our flights to get the best deal.Its possible the numbers of visitors may not fall drastically but the length of stay and money spent probably will.for what it's worth for the first time in getting on for 30 years I have not booked for my annual winter break and the exchange rate is the problem bearing in mind the euro could possibly hit 30 and the pound 35,not a good time to plan long term. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Western tourists mainly peaked between 2013 and 2016, after 2016 the Thai bath began to be more expensive.

So those business owners complaining about less Westerners in 2018 and this year, compared to just a few years ago, seem to be correct, and in some areas of Thailand the difference might be bigger, than in others...????

5 hours ago, Maverell said:

The figures are probably close to the actual figures but they could be even better if the Baht was not so strong. In my view dark forces in the currency markets are at work not fundamentals.

Dark forces like Brexit and the Federal Reserve.????

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The Western tourists mainly peaked between 2013 and 2016, after 2016 the Thai bath began to be more expensive.

So those business owners complaining about less Westerners in 2018 and this year, compared to just a few years ago, seem to be correct, and in some areas of Thailand the difference might be bigger, than in others...????

Actually the pound took a bath.

I have been involved with the tourist industry here for fifteen years and I honestly don't know where they get these figures from. I am in contact with people all over Thailand and they all say the same numbers as much as 60% down in some places. So where are all these western tourist hiding? Please tell me

Not going to please all those waiting for the figures to be challenged regarding tourist numbers...they are probably true or not ?....

but the point is that many restaurants are half empty, compared to the past....taxi drivers in whom one can have more faith regarding numbers also are aware that they have much less tourists or foreigners to scam !!! ...

same for the hotels that are rarely fully booked and so on.....

So yes, perhaps tourists are comming but they are spending much less outside then before and that's where it will pinch, unless people learn to adapt new business models and STOP considering foreigners plainly as stupid walking ATM's, only good to be cheated or dual priced.

even if the baht doesn't deter them they will have less baht to spend when they get here.  Lots of business I have been to in tourist areas lately have been openly complaining about the lack of business.

2 hours ago, owenm said:

It's not too many years ago that the AUD was worth more than USD, at around the time AUD would buy 35bht. Now the AUD is hovering around 67.4c to a USD. If the OZ dollar was still on parity with the USD it would be about 31bht, instead of a current poor 21bht.. 

The strength of the Thai baht doesn't help, but other outside western currency influences don't always help either. It wasn't too long ago that the Russian ruble dived due to western sanctions, and now sterling declining heavily with the Brexit shambles.. 

Wow, sounds as though you really understand worldwide currency.........not

Curious about length of stay. Hotel rates way up. Maybe 30-day stays are now two weeks. Ten million Chinese on 4-day holidays don't contribute near what an extra one million farang contribute on 90-day holidays. 

People definitely come to Thailand if they want, and don't if they don't want. I do not think calculations of baht power come into play in too many decisions at all. It seems like that should be evident. You really think the family wanting to sit on the beach in Krabi for a week checks the baht before coming? 

16 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Curious about length of stay. Hotel rates way up. Maybe 30-day stays are now two weeks. Ten million Chinese on 4-day holidays don't contribute near what an extra one million farang contribute on 90-day holidays. 

Isn't it 25 million Chinese?  How long do they stay?  20% more than 13 days I think.  https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Industries/Travel Transport and Logistics/Our Insights/Huanying to the new Chinese traveler/Chinese-tourists-Dispelling-the-myths.ashx

9 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Excellent article!  ❤️ 

(Now wait for the tinfoil madhatters claiming all the numbers are fake. ???? )

Are you serious!

"The Euro has also seen a steady decade-long slide from a peak around 50 Euro to the Thai Baht down to around 35 Euro to the local currency now."

These numbers are definitely fake! 50 Euro to the Thai baht !!!

37 minutes ago, meand said:

People definitely come to Thailand if they want, and don't if they don't want. I do not think calculations of baht power come into play in too many decisions at all. It seems like that should be evident. You really think the family wanting to sit on the beach in Krabi for a week checks the baht before coming? 

Now they do,they may not have done months ago when they booked,things change.

7 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

"The Euro has also seen a steady decade-long slide from a peak around 50 Euro to the Thai Baht down to around 35 Euro to the local currency now."

These numbers are definitely fake! 50 Euro to the Thai baht !!!

118897690_XEEURTHBCurrencyChart.EurotoThaiBahtRates.png.922f29585a0684987226ba6a26193b6d.png

18 minutes ago, Salerno said:

118897690_XEEURTHBCurrencyChart.EurotoThaiBahtRates.png.922f29585a0684987226ba6a26193b6d.png

I quoted a poster who called it an Excellent article and then  ❤️ 

said "Now wait for the tinfoil madhatters claiming all the numbers are fake" ???? Which they plainly were.

1 hour ago, mickey rat said:

Next they will be telling us that the strong baht is actually good for tourism! ????

Bangkok, 31 January, 2019 – A sharp resurgence in Chinese visitor arrivals in December helped Thailand close 2018 with a total of 38.27 million arrivals, generating tourism expenditure of just over two trillion Baht.

Europe: European visitors were up 3.86% to 6.76 million. Russia retained its status as the largest source market from Europe with arrivals of 1.47 million, up 9.40%. The United Kingdom was the second highest source market with a total of 987,456 followed by Germany 889,777, up 4.66%, and France 749,643, up 1.28

https://www.tatnews.org/2019/01/as-chinese-visitors-bounce-back-thai-tourism-income-crosses-two-trillion-baht/

I think Thailand is still on the cheap seats ride and the Baht is not high enough to really bother tourists.  cigs, $2.76 vs $16.08

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Cost-of-living/Prices-at-markets/Cigarettes/Pack-of-Marlboro

22 minutes ago, chama said:

But what about tourist spending g levels? That after all is what the economy needs to thrive.

A sharp resurgence in Chinese visitor arrivals in December helped Thailand close 2018 with a total of 38.27 million arrivals, generating tourism expenditure of just over two trillion Baht.

10 hours ago, CGW said:

Does anybody fill out the back section - it is done by choice - not mandatory!

@CGW T.M.6 (front side, bottom) states "For non-Thai resident, please complete both sides of this card".  

Meaning non-Thai = foreigner. 

Also backside of the form, under Important Notice, item 1, the Form states "All passengers must complete the T.M.6 card."

I fill in the information blocks.  I have never had a hassle at BKK or DMK with any Immigration Officer upon entering The Kingdom or upon departing The Kingdom. 

I merely follow Thailand's rules, lawful and societal, and have not had any issues with any Thai person.  Farangs...yes. 

20190623_001642.jpg

20190623_001705.jpg

IMO:

If people going on holiday were worried about the cost of goods and services while at their destination because of a stronger Baht, they obviously couldn't afford the holiday at that time.  Seems to me those people should wait a bit more b4 traveling. 

If non-Thai citizens residing here were worried about a stronger Baht, they should reconsider their budget and adjust accordingly.  For examples: decrease your nights out, avoid Western restaurants, buy alcohol bevs at the store and drink at home, etc. 

Just reprioritize your budget and adjust your current lifestyle to adapt to the situation, i.e., stronger Baht to AUD, GBP, USD, Zloty.

It is a matter of degrees.  I know that myself and several friends here in the USA have put off travel or greatly reduced our Thailand trips due to the exchange rate.  My friend has gone to the Phillipines a few times instead of Thailand, we have stayed home and just done USA things.  Thailand is not a great bargain.  It is still OK and a fun place, but the shine is waning

Makes sense.

First time visitors will have nothing to compare against. To them the baht is still lower than their own currency and the cost of living is still lower than their own.

Those who feel it are expats, long stayers and frequent visitors. Those who remember when Khao pad cost B25 and $1 = B35+

Personally even the Mrs says to give LOS a miss this year.

57 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

It is a matter of degrees.  I know that myself and several friends here in the USA have put off travel or greatly reduced our Thailand trips due to the exchange rate.  My friend has gone to the Phillipines a few times instead of Thailand, we have stayed home and just done USA things.  Thailand is not a great bargain.  It is still OK and a fun place, but the shine is waning

I can see why. Thailand is now a graphic example of the decreasing inclination to pander to foreign and particularly western ways in Asia. This actually is one aspect you can pin on the Chinese and it started with the 60th Anniversary of the republic.

China baldly stated that the 100 years of humiliation will never be repeated and its neighbours listened. They dont take garbage from the west any more, they can't be pushed around and you'd better get used to it. Those Asian countries who are in bed with America are rapidly becoming pariahs in Asia and America can no longer afford them.

Archived