BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:16
wallywest

Nearly sent back at airport - IO says after this 60 day stay I can't come back for 6 months

Wondering if I could get some advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation as mine. 

Been out of Thailand for 6 weeks or so and flew in the other day with a tourist visa (I'm American). IO had me up in the system I suppose and called a superior and they took me to the side and said I stay in Thailand too much and tried to make me go back to USA. About 1.5hrs of pleading they're speaking to my GF on the phone and agree to let me in for 60 days but tell me that I can't come back for 6 months after that.

Nothing is stamped in my passport saying I can't come back, I would assume they have it in the system. I'm wondering if I get an Elite Visa before I leave late August would that "void" the 6 month ban or would I still need to wait that long before I come back to Thailand?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Only been doing tourist visas since December, before that I was on ED visa for Muay Thai. I think what played a big part in this was I didn't have any pictures of me doing Muay Thai for the past 1.5 years but that is because my phone was recently stolen and all my pictures didn't back up, my GF corroborated this and that's why I think they let me in.

Anyways, I would definitely prefer not to leave Thailand for 6 months and was planning on an Eite Visa anyways, but don't want to get it right now if it goes to waste for 6 months. Anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

You haven't been banned.

After this current 60 day stay you can get 30 day extension. Then do border runs 30 + 30 Extensiin twice. During that time obtain your Elite visa.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Well I actually do have to leave Thailand for a work conference in August, if the Elite Visa isn't processed in that time you think flying into Phuket or Koh Samui would be better than BKK?

3 minutes ago, wallywest said:

Well I actually do have to leave Thailand for a work conference in August, if the Elite Visa isn't processed in that time you think flying into Phuket or Koh Samui would be better than BKK?

I you applied for the Elite Visa now you would certainly have it by August.

Flying into a different airport would help if needed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

Out of interest, which airport did you arrive at ?

I arrived in BKK.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I you applied for the Elite Visa now you would certainly have it by August.

Flying into a different airport would help if needed.

Okay great, thanks a lot. I assumed it was a verbal warning as well but didn't want to take the chance of a 24 hour flight only to be forced onto another 24 hour flight.

What is your age OP?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wallywest said:

Apart from the two Bangkok airports, there have been horror stories from Phuket and Koh Samui in the past. If you have a tourist visa (i.e. you are not requesting a visa exempt entry) then flying  direct to Chiang Mai seems to be OK. Safest is to fly somewhere like Vientiane and enter Thailand by land.