Nearly sent back at airport - IO says after this 60 day stay I can't come back for 6 months

18 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Sorry about the wrong info.ive never had a problem but I'm on a marriage visa multi entry.i didn't think about only 2 land crossings a year.so it's still possible but through obtaining a multi entry visa?

Yes, if you have a multiple entry tourist visa, and a resident visa for Laos, regular shopping trips to Thailand are possible. This is definitely not appropriate as a way of staying mostly in Thailand. The Thai embassy in Vientiane will only issue you an METV if it is clear you are living in Laos. If you happen to have a Thai spouse, but want to split your time between Laos and Thailand, a multiple entry Non O, still available at this time in the region, would facilitate doing so.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes there is a appeal allowed. You complete a TM11 form, pay the 1900 baht fee and they have to respond to it within 7 days.

Download: TM11 appeal form.pdf135.52 kB · 39 downloads

But how do those who are denied permission to enter Thailand at an immigration border checkpoint lodge a completed TM11 plus requisite 1900 THB if they're not physically in Thailand as a result of the denial which they wish to appeal against?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

But how do those who are denied permission to enter Thailand at an immigration border checkpoint lodge a completed TM11 plus requisite 1900 THB if they're not physically in Thailand as a result of the denial which they wish to appeal against?

They are in Thailand at the point they are denied entry. An appeal must be made - at the border -  within 48 hours of being denied. If you want to appeal you'd have to stay in custody, and the Minister has up to 7 days to make a decision.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the form completed for my last METV entry at Bangkok airport, I didn't need it
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had the form completed for my last METV entry at Bangkok airport, I didn't need it

Having the form in hand would certainly help if needed. That would stop them from saying the appeal cannot be done or refusing to give one to you. That is why I posted it in the pinned topic for immigration templates.

I suspect they might change your minds about denying entry if you presented the form and 1900 baht if the reason the for denial was one of those dodgy ones they use.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

And you are detained whilst the appeal is decided? Any bail?

You have to wait until it is approved or disapproved.

It think if they were denying your entry for one of their dodby denials and you had the form/fee fee ready they might change their minds.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 hours ago, OJAS said:

Sound advice for EVERY foreigner planning to enter (or re-enter) Thailand in the present climate, I think.

15 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Sound advice for EVERY foreigner planning to enter (or re-enter) Thailand in the present climate, I think.

Pointless IMO. But if trying this action, and the border IO’s don’t immediately back down, I’d recommend not letting it go further up the line. If it is referred there’s a minimal chance of success and you could end up being held in custody for days!

• Sad 1

Pointless IMO. But if trying this action, and the border IO’s don’t immediately back down, I’d recommend not letting it go further up the line. If it is referred there’s a minimal chance of success and you could end up being held in custody for days!
Is that based on reports? or a wild guess? the one report i read, the guy who presented the completed form was stamped through within a couple hours

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
25 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Is that based on reports? or a wild guess? the one report i read, the guy who presented the completed form was stamped through within a couple hours

Anyone that thinks this is a solution to long term tourists not being denied is deluded. If they all start turning up with appeal forms the authorities will simply pass a formal regulation.

As I said, unless the border IO’s back down  you’re risking detention for days if you push the appeal up line to the people that have ordered IO’s to deny entry in the first place.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Anyone that thinks this is a solution to long term tourists not being denied is deluded. If they all start turning up with appeal forms the authorities will simply pass a formal regulation.

Utter nonsense and your opinion not fact.

19 minutes ago, elviajero said:

As I said, unless the border IO’s back down  you’re risking detention for days if you push the appeal up line to the people that have ordered IO’s to deny entry in the first place.

The appeal would go to higher than that level. It is only a few officers that in charge of a shift at the airport or border crossing causing problems.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Utter nonsense and your opinion not fact.

So you think they’d just fall over and stop denying entry on the basis of these appeals. LOL!!!!!

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The appeal would go to higher than that level. It is only a few officers that in charge of a shift at the airport or border crossing causing problems.

It would only get to the Minister in extreme cases. Any denial must initially be signed off by the supervisor at the border, and if they aren’t prepared to back down it’s passed up the line.

Your advice, based on your opinion not fact, that people should appeal is very bad advice.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

It would only get to the Minister in extreme cases.

Of course not to the minister.

Perhaps to head of immigration at the airport or up to division 2 that is over airport immigration. At border crossing it could to the head of the province where the crossing is located or up to the division level for the region of the country where it is located.

The first line in your post is not worth replying to.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Of course not to the minister.

Perhaps to head of immigration at the airport or up to division 2 that is over airport immigration. At border crossing it could to the head of the province where the crossing is located or up to the division level for the region of the country where it is located.

The first line in your post is not worth replying to.

Which backs up the point I’m making. These officers, up the line, are the ones ordering the IO’s at the borders to deny entry to long term tourists. They are not going to overturn their own orders.

If I were denied entry, I would ask to appeal because that might be enough for the IO/supervisor to back down; but, if they don’t, and accept an appeal, there is little chance it will succeed. And pushing it up the line risks days spent in custody for nothing.

Wiping out a pre-completed appeal form is just going to piss them off, and IMO, make them even less likely to back down.

And if long term tourists start doing this in number, the authorities will react.

Edited by elviajero
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to wait until it is approved or disapproved.

It think if they were denying your entry for one of their dodby denials and you had the form/fee fee ready they might change their minds.

So it's a good idea to pre-fill in the form and have it in your carry on luggage just in case, and of course have 1,900 baht on you.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

So it's a good idea to pre-fill in the form and have it in your carry on luggage just in case, and of course have 1,900 baht on you.

No, that’s a bad idea. If denied entry you should ask for an appeal form. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

It wouldn't hurt to have at least have a blank one. Immigration has refused to provide the form when asked for one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It wouldn't hurt to have at least have a blank one. Immigration has refused to provide the form when asked for one.

Why would they accept one, if they are not prepared to provide one?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No, that’s a bad idea. If denied entry you should ask for an appeal form. 

And what, pray tell, should their victim do if they have run out of forms or simply won't provide one? Is there an appeal against not handing out an appeal form?

52 minutes ago, Caldera said:

And what, pray tell, should their victim do if they have run out of forms or simply won't provide one? Is there an appeal against not handing out an appeal form?

In third world countries, if officials want to ignore the law, there is often nothing you can do about it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

My point is that they are hardly going to accept a form from a smart arse visitor if they are not prepared to issue one.

What is the “victim” going to do if they simply won’t take an appeal? Best to also have an appeal against them not allowing an appeal form filled out!

Edited by elviajero
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 6:01 PM, Daryle said:

Another Looney Tunes experience brought to you by Thai Immigration.

Get the Elite Visa if you can...

Or maybe Immigration have teamed up with the elite visa team and are getting kickbacks, Pushing long term tourists here to drop 500k on getting the elite visa!! Save the 500k and spend it in other countries nearby instead!

• Like 1