Want to hire a maid but concerned about theft

How do you guys handle this issue? I guess they would chiefly go after money as it's the hardest thing for a customer to track? I think between hiding that away and putting out a theft bait (fake gold chain / broken phone) one can be reasonably safe against maid theft?

I know it happens and there are a few horror stories about...  but, I've been here over 20 years and never had an issue with theft from a maid.

Interview potential staff, trust your instincts (if your instincts are good that is !), take photo's of their ID when they start work. 

Installing cameras are a good idea, leave the expensive valuables like your Rolex watch in the safe, don't leave cash lying around etc...  its difficult with your computers etc they can't be put away all the time (just ensure you have back-ups of your important files). 

'Baiting a trap' with a fake gold necklace etc is harsh, but realistically you want to protect yourself, so that's not such a poor idea - its brutal, but it involves a degree of realism and helps you more quickly evaluate the moral compass of your employee.

Insist on a copy of their I D and even their house book,them knowing you have copies should be enough to deter theft and a nanny cam if you are that concerned. You could lock away personal papers and lap top in your wardrobe,cheap and cheerful but obvious if broken into. 

One :

Do you know anyone who has staff, seek a recommendation

Two

Consider using an agency

Three

Using "theft bait" really does not speak well for any ongoing relationship of honesty between you

Five

Talk with her about your expectations and as last resort install CCTV and tell her you have it for safety reasons 

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Using "theft bait" really does not speak well for any ongoing relationship of honesty between you

This seems like pure moralizing. It's my job to pay her for a service and also to protect my interests, none of this other soft nonsense.

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if I was paranoid about it I'd do my own cleaning..

I'm not paranoid but the fewer people who come into my condo the happier I am. So yes, I do my own cleaning. I need the exercise anyway.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know it happens and there are a few horror stories about...  but, I've been here over 20 years and never had an issue with theft from a maid.

Interview potential staff, trust your instincts (if your instincts are good that is !), take photo's of their ID when they start work. 

Installing cameras are a good idea, leave the expensive valuables like your Rolex watch in the safe, don't leave cash lying around etc...  its difficult with your computers etc they can't be put away all the time (just ensure you have back-ups of your important files). 

'Baiting a trap' with a fake gold necklace etc is harsh, but realistically you want to protect yourself, so that's not such a poor idea - its brutal, but it involves a degree of realism and helps you more quickly evaluate the moral compass of your employee.

I find it rather harsh and unfair that 'maids' are highlighted like this. A thief can come from any background, and location, can be well educated / uneducated. 

Find out about the family

Make sure you have a simple written contract and take photo of her? ID card and Tabian Ban

Pay a fair wage, with some benefits like free food while on duty

Lock up the most valuable items

Fit internal cameras

I would also have a work schedule for her, saying what you want doing and when.  Don't leave it to her to work out. Make sure she sees you checking on her work.  No need to be over the top about this but pick up anything that you are not happy with. 

I'd be more worried about the guys that come to:

A. Clean,service or install AC

B  install troubleshoot cable TV or internet.

C Who show up after you have left for holiday who want to take your car for a service appointment.

D Etc...

Guy went to a library and asked the librarian if they had any books on paranoia. The librarian answered "Yes sir, They are right behind you" 

Wow - has TV turned into lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?  The day I cant take 30 minutes to clean up after myself is the day I check into a 24 hour nursing home facility.  (wait, cant afford that either)  55 

Guess you work 12 hours a day 7 days a week? Done that myself, but am retired now.

Lived in homes anywhere from 40 - 190 square meters in size and we/I never hired a maid.  

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with hiring help for any task , very benevolent if you can afford it. 

Good luck in your search 

9 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Wow - has TV turned into lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?  The day I cant take 30 minutes to clean up after myself is the day I check into a 24 hour nursing home facility.  (wait, cant afford that either)  55 

Guess you work 12 hours a day 7 days a week? Done that myself, but am retired now.

Lived in homes anywhere from 40 - 190 square meters in size and we/I never hired a maid.  

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with hiring help for any task , very benevolent if you can afford it. 

Good luck in your search 

Also what's the deal with posters saying 'maids'?  Surely they are just cleaning ladies if they are only coming in to clean the house a couple times a week?

My maids, nanny, butler, chauffeur and footman would never dare nick any of my dosh in my mansion.  Mind you I don't trust the stable hand or milk maid much.  

Of course Thai maids are all thieves- they go on courses on how to crack safes.

Thefts from maids are totally unheard of anywhere else in the world 

Do your own cleaning perhaps.

If you go through life not trusting anyone - sad 

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Also what's the deal with posters saying 'maids'?  Surely they are just cleaning ladies if they are only coming in to clean the house a couple times a week?

I believe in America they are called housekeepers. None will do the dishes, laundry, or clean ovens or windows I  have read (but of course that is America not Thailand)

If you pay her a good wage and look after her and she is a good girl and wants to keep the job long term,and does a good job, there should not be any problems. Take her out for a meal and have a nice chat with her and in the conversation politely mention that if she should ever be caught stealing there would be some very serious consequences for her. Don't go into any details unless you want to, just make sure she understands.

I have had 4 housekeepers.  Out of the 4 the second one we had did the best job cleaning but was also stealing from us.  There is really no way to know beforehand unless you can find out where she worked before and talk to them.  Ask friends for recommendations of people they know.

I had a maid that stole stuff and got banned from our whole condo, another condo owner caught her stealing but i am also quite sure she stole from me.

Get a cheap safe from home pro and only hire a maid that is well known already to other people and works in your building for others too... it is what it is, definitely a risk and everyone who says otherwise wears rose colored glasses.

Our current maid is not like this but you only notice it after months or years how people really are...

This has happened twice that I know of in my house. In both cases the theft was detected because we knew what money was where and how much there was at any given time and in both cases the thief assumed that we did not keep track of our money.

The first time it was the housekeeper who stole a little bit out of a piggy bank. When accused we said "We know it was you, nobody else had access. If it happens again we will involve the police." She worked for us for a long time after that and never a problem.

The other case was a girlfriend who would come to stay the night. I noticed 10 baht coins disappearing, then a 1,000 baht bill. I filled my wallet with an assortment of bills of all available denominations and after writing down how many bills of each denomination there were, I left the wallet in the desk drawer for the night. The next day I could see exactly what she had taken. I sent her a simple text message "Do not come back."

From these experiences I suggest that you know for sure what cash you have on the premisis and where it is.

Once there is a breach of trust you might want to let it go but make sure that it is understood that a second breach will result in harsh treatment.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I find it rather harsh and unfair that 'maids' are highlighted like this. A thief can come from any background, and location, can be well educated / uneducated. 

A rather amusing and ill thought out attempt at faux-outrage and playing the politically correct card... 

... Which person from any background, location and education do you let in your home for hours on end numerous times of the week throughout the year without vetting them?

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Good luck in your search 

And all those people who go out to restaurants to eat a couple of times per week.... the day I can't cook for myself is the day I check into a 24 hr nursing facility...  erm... ????

One of the perks of living here is the cheap labor, having a maid come around a couple of times per week to do the laundry and clean the place up is a luxury I wouldn't pay for if it cost UK prices. 

If you bait a hook u maybe catch a fish

What the eye does not see the mind does not worry about  

we have people in and out but from day 1 we do not leave wallets valubales or tempting things for the tempentation .

Do not forget most maids come from poor families

in a flash they do something to maybe help there family .

hoping that the backlash will be forgotten ,

Many farangs are careles with valuables phones i pads wallets on the bar on tables 

All dont tempt people its easy to make a mistake .

Even farangs in supermarkets pick up 2000 baht after putting his foot on it and waiting

then put it in his  pocket it so it is not just the maids ,\Workers 

we have aa few workers but like i say we dont tempt them .

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A rather amusing and ill thought out attempt at faux-outrage and playing the politically correct card... 

... Which person from any background, location and education do you let in your home for hours on end numerous times of the week throughout the year without vetting them?

Fauz outrage? No, just fairness.

".. Which person from any background, location and education do you let in your home for hours on end numerous times of the week throughout the year without vetting them?"

A good question indeed, and I wouldn't allow anybody into my home as you describe without first an interview, contacting previous employers, and monitoring them regularly. In the west I always monitored workmen who came to do house / appliance repairs etc.  

We have a maid, pleasant lady, good references, she comes for 2 hours 6 days a week, pretty much always 4 adults active in the house and we are all aware that staff (any staff) should be monitored.

If nobody will be home (a rarity but it does happen) my adult Thai son calls her to say 'take the day off' and we don't cut her payment.

We have always kept house keys out of sight for the reasons being discussed and because we had some problems with son's older sister-in-law and brother in law turning up (seperately), they knew were keys were hidden outside the house and letting themselves in the house along with friends accompanying them who we had never seen before. For all these reasons every access door now has a key and a key pad. 

None of this has anything to do with level of education or lack of education etc. Just common sense.

3 hours ago, RickFarang said:

The other case was a girlfriend who would come to stay the night. I noticed 10 baht coins disappearing, then a 1,000 baht bill. I filled my wallet with an assortment of bills of all available denominations and after writing down how many bills of each denomination there were, I left the wallet in the desk drawer for the night

Of course money / wallet in the desk drawer is what girlfriends may assume is payment.  55

If it isnt in the safe it is there for the taking.  

Archived