My Second Visit to Pattaya

Songkran18

About fourteen months ago, I believe I left some favorable notes about initial stay, and some not as so.

On the occasion last year, I stayed in Jomtien. Didn't care for it. This time I stayed in LK Metro with some noticeable improvement and some deeper analysis of the ex-pat in Pattaya. Interesting and sad.

My initial plan was for a five night stay. Ended up staying six to accommodate the schedule of a two nt excursion to Kanachuburi, from Pattaya. This excursion out of Bangkok, priced 60% higher.  Anyways .........    

Staying in Pattaya this time obviously provided a different vibe. During my communal Baht Bus transfer from bust station, the resort feel came across, while some passengers where being dumped at resorts at N end of Beach Road. 

Despite the destination, I had a swell time. Did some excursions, like Samet and the Sanctuary - Awesome ! 

Come at me ( ex-Pat )  if you want ! The saddest part of this stay was observing ex-pats, wasting away in bars by late morning. I've never seen sadder faces in my life. Maybe someone can explain the ex-pat daily routine with the limited  pension budget. 

In the end, Pattaya proved to be a good place to pass through, till the next discovery. Second stay was actually better. 

1 hour ago, Songkran18 said:

The saddest part of this stay was observing ex-pats, wasting away in bars by late morning.

how do you know they were expats?

maybe they were tourists.

if you hang around a area that is full of bars you will see barflies. 

same all over the world.

but it is sad. alcoholics.

1 hour ago, Songkran18 said:

I've never seen sadder faces in my life. Maybe someone can explain the ex-pat daily routine with the limited  pension budget

Sounds a lot like Miami, except the gold chains here are real.  ????

2 hours ago, Songkran18 said:

Pattaya proved to be a good place to pass through

Wow - all those young beautiful ladies you can have as company for the night for a thousand baht and a bar fine.  You are saying you did not enjoy any company during a whole 6 days?  That is what life is all about dude - you missed out some real experiences my man 55

I am not an expat and I have no desire to be one. Reading all the posts here about the various visas is enough to put me off the idea. But I do visit Thailand quite often and spend some time in Pattaya which I enjoy for short periods. 

I have to agree with Songkran18's observations about expats with sad faces wasting away in bars. I too have noticed these people. I can usually differentiate between these people and tourists. I often asked myself the same question as Songkran18 asked.

Judging by some of the responses here I think he might have touched on a delicate subject with some "limited pension" people here.     

You're talking about some of what constitutes the "wallpaper" of Pattaya.

Everybody sees/knows, nobody really cares.

Least of all those upon whom you seek to pour scorn........because they're not reading any of this.

Stay for a few months and you'll get over it......and have fun "getting on" with it.

PS: Not an expat, not on a pension, spent 3 terrific winters there.

4 minutes ago, changside said:

I am not an expat and I have no desire to be one. Reading all the posts here about the various visas is enough to put me off the idea. But I do visit Thailand quite often and spend some time in Pattaya which I enjoy for short periods. 

I have to agree with Songkran18's observations about expats with sad faces wasting away in bars. I too have noticed these people. I can usually differentiate between these people and tourists. I often asked myself the same question as Songkran18 asked.

Judging by some of the responses here I think he might have touched on a delicate subject with some "limited pension" people here.     

You will have no doubt learned that Pattaya is about as much Thai as Benidorm is Spanish..

33 years living in Thailand and countless visits to Pattaya and only now, after reading the OP post, the true face of Pattaya and it's expats have finally been revealed... Thank you Mr. 2 visits  to Pattaya...

Nice your second visit allowed you to see a bit more of Pattaya, with apparently a fairly favorable outcome.  Now, wipe that sad expression off your face.  I'm not one of the expats sitting on a bar stool late morning--and I really don't need to tell you that the vast majority of Pattaya expats aren't, as well--but I might prefer it to passing morning after morning alone and forgotten in some dreary, cold retirement home. 

Pattaya is Pattaya....you either like it or not....came here 10 years ago and living now for the past 5,never bored always plenty of things to do away from the bars etc....much much better than my old life in Greater Manchester :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

Pattaya is Pattaya....you either like it or not....came here 10 years ago and living now for the past 5,never bored always plenty of things to do away from the bars etc....much much better than my old life in Greater Manchester :thumbsup:

Bet you miss the drizzling rain, a good miss you may say ????

Your point is ???...I'm sure the guys you see must like a drink or 2....so what. All round the world you see these people...up early in the morning having a drink...it might be the UK... Oz....the US...what would you want them to do ??? Hit the gym...I personally don't drink in the morning (unless I have been out the night before and I don't want it to end) and that's rare now.....I suggest you get up to the villages and have a look at the drinkers there....steamin at 6am on the local petrol.....now that is sad

If you go to a bar you might see people drinking. If you go to a church you might see people praying. It is up to you what you want to see. No need to complain afterwards. And Pattaya is famous for certain things. So if you come here don't expect churches. Or did you not know this when you selected Pattaya as your holiday destination? On the other hand - I am an Expat here too. Haven't been to a bar for more than a decade. Also would never risk my health with one of these sex workers here. But of course I know people being out every night and coming home not alone. Mostly tourists that come here - not to retire... 

10 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Wow - all those young beautiful ladies you can have as company for the night for a thousand baht and a bar fine.  You are saying you did not enjoy any company during a whole 6 days?  That is what life is all about dude - you missed out some real experiences my man 55

a 1000 baht! When was the last time you were there? in the 90's ??? ????

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

a 1000 baht! When was the last time you were there? in the 90's ??? ????

Soi 6 . Forgot I wrote "for the night" , should have said short time.

Though overnight can still be negotiated in some venues, YMMV.

The 90's were great though

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Soi 6 . Forgot I wrote "for the night" , should have said short time.

Though overnight can still be negotiated in some venues, YMMV.

The 90's were great though

1000 Bht LT possible Soi Post Office/Soi Yamato. Hit the Bar(s) 1 hour before closing. Giver Phone Number and tell 'em to call after the Bars have closed. There will be many "takers".
Doesn't work at "walking-street"/Soi 6 etc. Well understood.
- PS: Once past the age 97 1/2, nobody needs LT anymore.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:52 AM, changside said:

I expected some resentment from the " focus group."  Indeed it's a delicate subject as well as a reality. I know because i engaged with these blokes. The predictable insinuations and insults towards me is what you'd expect and bolsters my point. None acted as tough asses when I questioned and probed why they chose Pattaya.   But it's amusing in itself, on this site when one of their own takes the leap of faith.  They gobble, chuckle and comment  like chickens in a coup - then wonder if they're next.  .......  I've been all over the globe and concluded Pattaya is a receptacle of those economically forced to part ways with their motherland.  .... Badger me more if it helps. I'm not your problem.   Blokes ! LOL ! 

Quote: "The saddest part of this stay was observing ex-pats, wasting away in bars by late morning. I've never seen sadder faces in my life. Maybe someone can explain the ex-pat daily routine with the limited  pension budget."
--------

That's not really "Rocket-Science": Once the Money plus the "Honey" is gone and all the bridges have been burnt in the Home-Country, what is left for a Farang in Pattaya in such a situation? Them knowing, that their situation can only get worse as time (their age) progresses. A good reason to display a "sad face", indeed.

Plenty of Expats spread all over the world. But nowhere is the rate of Foreighners jumping off high rise buildings higher than in Pattaya. ERGO: Pattaya must be the worst place to get "stranded", for whatever reasons. Not passing Judgement in any form or shape, as such a situation may be "self-inflicted" or caused by "outside forces".

Archived