BANGKOK 20 July 2019 03:35
Songkran18

My Second Visit to Pattaya

About fourteen months ago, I believe I left some favorable notes about initial stay, and some not as so.

On the occasion last year, I stayed in Jomtien. Didn't care for it. This time I stayed in LK Metro with some noticeable improvement and some deeper analysis of the ex-pat in Pattaya. Interesting and sad.

My initial plan was for a five night stay. Ended up staying six to accommodate the schedule of a two nt excursion to Kanachuburi, from Pattaya. This excursion out of Bangkok, priced 60% higher.  Anyways .........    

Staying in Pattaya this time obviously provided a different vibe. During my communal Baht Bus transfer from bust station, the resort feel came across, while some passengers where being dumped at resorts at N end of Beach Road. 

Despite the destination, I had a swell time. Did some excursions, like Samet and the Sanctuary - Awesome ! 

Come at me ( ex-Pat )  if you want ! The saddest part of this stay was observing ex-pats, wasting away in bars by late morning. I've never seen sadder faces in my life. Maybe someone can explain the ex-pat daily routine with the limited  pension budget. 

In the end, Pattaya proved to be a good place to pass through, till the next discovery. Second stay was actually better. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your point being?

Viewing life through the bottom of a glass for long periods ceases to be stimulating?

I am not an expat and I have no desire to be one. Reading all the posts here about the various visas is enough to put me off the idea. But I do visit Thailand quite often and spend some time in Pattaya which I enjoy for short periods. 

I have to agree with Songkran18's observations about expats with sad faces wasting away in bars. I too have noticed these people. I can usually differentiate between these people and tourists. I often asked myself the same question as Songkran18 asked.

Judging by some of the responses here I think he might have touched on a delicate subject with some "limited pension" people here.     

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You're talking about some of what constitutes the "wallpaper" of Pattaya.

Everybody sees/knows, nobody really cares.

Least of all those upon whom you seek to pour scorn........because they're not reading any of this.

Stay for a few months and you'll get over it......and have fun "getting on" with it.

PS: Not an expat, not on a pension, spent 3 terrific winters there.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, changside said:

I am not an expat and I have no desire to be one. Reading all the posts here about the various visas is enough to put me off the idea. But I do visit Thailand quite often and spend some time in Pattaya which I enjoy for short periods. 

I have to agree with Songkran18's observations about expats with sad faces wasting away in bars. I too have noticed these people. I can usually differentiate between these people and tourists. I often asked myself the same question as Songkran18 asked.

Judging by some of the responses here I think he might have touched on a delicate subject with some "limited pension" people here.     

You will have no doubt learned that Pattaya is about as much Thai as Benidorm is Spanish..

• Like 1