My Second Visit to Pattaya

Songkran18

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

1000 baht LT ? I hate to imagine what that looks like !

Even 1000 ST is likely to have a glass eye !

HeHe! Referring to my post # 27.

No glass eyes, maybe a bit "Chubby". 

-------

In my home country "Chubby" women with glass-eyes and a wooden leg and bad breath cost 5000 Bht for ST.

Our choice, as long as able and willing to travel. Isen't it?

The expats that I used to see in the morning where at my gym, most of them ex professionals and pretty pleasant, attracted by the laid back lifestyle and ... let's be honest ... the nightlife. Some of the older one's were back home by 11pm but had very active social lives, and had more life in them than their contemporaries back home. They preferred Pattaya to the sadness of growing old and alone in a home country were they were invisible to most people. I can't say I blame them.

12 hours ago, swissie said:

HeHe! Referring to my post # 27.

No glass eyes, maybe a bit "Chubby". 

-------

In my home country "Chubby" women with glass-eyes and a wooden leg and bad breath cost 5000 Bht for ST.

Our choice, as long as able and willing to travel. Isen't it?

Living in the wrong country, in my country in Europe a ST costs 1000 baht... with a young stunner. 

On 6/23/2019 at 10:11 AM, Grt71 said:

Your point is ???...I'm sure the guys you see must like a drink or 2....so what. All round the world you see these people...up early in the morning having a drink...it might be the UK... Oz....the US...what would you want them to do ??? Hit the gym...I personally don't drink in the morning (unless I have been out the night before and I don't want it to end) and that's rare now.....I suggest you get up to the villages and have a look at the drinkers there....steamin at 6am on the local petrol.....now that is sad

Anybody who starts drinking in the morning definitely has a drink problem.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:52 AM, changside said:

I am not an expat and I have no desire to be one. Reading all the posts here about the various visas is enough to put me off the idea. But I do visit Thailand quite often and spend some time in Pattaya which I enjoy for short periods. 

I have to agree with Songkran18's observations about expats with sad faces wasting away in bars. I too have noticed these people. I can usually differentiate between these people and tourists. I often asked myself the same question as Songkran18 asked.

Judging by some of the responses here I think he might have touched on a delicate subject with some "limited pension" people here.    

someone on a limited pension could have stayed home where his rent would be two or three times higher. And I am sure the icy winters are missed. He is probably sad that even though he has enough money to live on in Pattaya, he is thinking about the fun he could have had if the baht hadn't kept goung up.

23 hours ago, Songkran18 said:

I expected some resentment from the " focus group."  Indeed it's a delicate subject as well as a reality. I know because i engaged with these blokes. The predictable insinuations and insults towards me is what you'd expect and bolsters my point. None acted as tough asses when I questioned and probed why they chose Pattaya.   But it's amusing in itself, on this site when one of their own takes the leap of faith.  They gobble, chuckle and comment  like chickens in a coup - then wonder if they're next.  .......  I've been all over the globe and concluded Pattaya is a receptacle of those economically forced to part ways with their motherland.  .... Badger me more if it helps. I'm not your problem.   Blokes ! LOL ! 

Most of the expats in Pattaya are likely more amused by your post than anything else.  You come to Pattaya for a short second visit, stay at LK Metro, and grandly announce  that staying there has allowed you to do some 'deeper analysis of the expat in Pattaya'. Too funny.  I imagine you stay on the Strip in Vegas and this allows you 'deeper analysis' of the typical Vegas resident.  

In your second post another grand announcement that you had 'engaged' with your 'focus group'.  More amusement, as you certainly didn't 'engage' with me.  To engage with this expat living his regular, normal life that's not much different than my everyday life in the US, you'd have to catch me at Big C buying groceries with my partner. Or, at the movie theater.  Or, at a nice dinner party with friends.  Maybe doing my morning laps at the pool or walking the beach.   Maybe at the gym. Or, taking a weekend trip to Bangkok or a driving trip to Chiang Mai to buy some handicrafts.  Taking advantage of being able to fly to lots of interesting places with just a short plane flight.  Relaxing on my oceanfront deck listening to the waves with a good book and a cold beer.     

Really, just about anywhere than LK Metro.  But, do continue your careful, oh-so-serious study of The Expats of Pattaya.  We all look forward to Visit 3!

On 6/24/2019 at 12:05 PM, newnative said:

Most of the expats in Pattaya are likely more amused by your post than anything else.  You come to Pattaya for a short second visit, stay at LK Metro, and grandly announce  that staying there has allowed you to do some 'deeper analysis of the expat in Pattaya'. Too funny.  I imagine you stay on the Strip in Vegas and this allows you 'deeper analysis' of the typical Vegas resident.  

In your second post another grand announcement that you had 'engaged' with your 'focus group'.  More amusement, as you certainly didn't 'engage' with me.  To engage with this expat living his regular, normal life that's not much different than my everyday life in the US, you'd have to catch me at Big C buying groceries with my partner. Or, at the movie theater.  Or, at a nice dinner party with friends.  Maybe doing my morning laps at the pool or walking the beach.   Maybe at the gym. Or, taking a weekend trip to Bangkok or a driving trip to Chiang Mai to buy some handicrafts.  Taking advantage of being able to fly to lots of interesting places with just a short plane flight.  Relaxing on my oceanfront deck listening to the waves with a good book and a cold beer.     

Really, just about anywhere than LK Metro.  But, do continue your careful, oh-so-serious study of The Expats of Pattaya.  We all look forward to Visit 3!

Thanks for the chime.

I plan no thesis on the entailment of the ex-pat situation in Pattaya. I'm sure that would be a hell of a read on your oceanfront deck. I don't recall hearing waves in Pattaya ... nor do I hear them now, 18 stories above a no-wake zone in Brickell Key. 

The term " focus group" was used as a metaphor. An old habit from my  Chiat/Day days. My experience was too recurring a scenario, and easy to conclude: many ex-pats are f'd up. 

As for my lodging choice this occasion, I have no qualms of you're criticism. No big deal. I stayed at this outfit called Mid-City Condo. The 1BR was ok, and amenities was something I coped with,  No big deal. I'm sure most ex-pats would love that place. 

Anyways ..... I love Thailand, and have been fortunate to experience most of her regions. A third visit to Pattaya to distinguish what I've seen,  with a suggestion of  a bloke grocery shopping at a Big C as Nirvana, is of no interest. 

I saw and understand what I saw. 

Cheers ! 

On 6/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, Songkran18 said:

I know because i engaged with these blokes. The predictable insinuations and insults towards me is what you'd expect and bolsters my point.

The fact that they insulted you and treated you with disregard says more about you than them. If they looked sad when you were approaching, it might be they were hoping you'd be put off and go and bother someone at another table. 

8 hours ago, Songkran18 said:

Thanks for the chime.

I plan no thesis on the entailment of the ex-pat situation in Pattaya. I'm sure that would be a hell of a read on your oceanfront deck. I don't recall hearing waves in Pattaya ... nor do I hear them now, 18 stories above a no-wake zone in Brickell Key. 

The term " focus group" was used as a metaphor. An old habit from my  Chiat/Day days. My experience was too recurring a scenario, and easy to conclude: many ex-pats are f'd up. 

As for my lodging choice this occasion, I have no qualms of you're criticism. No big deal. I stayed at this outfit called Mid-City Condo. The 1BR was ok, and amenities was something I coped with,  No big deal. I'm sure most ex-pats would love that place. 

Anyways ..... I love Thailand, and have been fortunate to experience most of her regions. A third visit to Pattaya to distinguish what I've seen,  with a suggestion of  a bloke grocery shopping at a Big C as Nirvana, is of no interest. 

I saw and understand what I saw. 

Cheers ! 

Yes, you saw what you saw.  And, then decided that what you saw represents the state of expats in Pattaya.  In your words, we're all 'f'd up'.   I'm just making the point that you did not see me, or many other expats, because we are in places like Big C doing normal resident things like grocery shopping and you are doing tourist things and do not want to spend your valuable tourist time grocery shopping.  So expats like me are not seen and don't show up in your 'focus' group of mid-morning drinkers at bars.

Your sweeping pronouncements do continue to amuse, however.  In your latest post you say you stayed at Mid-City Condo and found it to be 'ok'.  Since it was ok for you, you can now proclaim that you are 'sure most expats would love that place'.   Why would we love a place that was just ok for you?  And, just ok on a short visit?  I, for one, certainly don't want to live in a place that is just ok.  I, for one, have never even heard of Mid-City Condo.  Apparently, you can't hear the ocean waves so perhaps no ocean view either.  And, seems to cater to clueless tourists.  I'm going to hazard a guess that this Pattaya expat is not going to love it.  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

It's completely true I didn't go grocery shopping or visit a Big C in Pattaya.  If I could have had a more "resident" experience, I would have welcomed it. I embraced it a week in Issan, prior Pattaya visit, but I'd classify it more a "thai" experience than residential. 

"Mid-City" condo was actually Ok. Not sure what you're getting at with me dwelling there. It's located within the shadows of LK President.  I needed a pillow for six nights and have no qualms in that 1br condo. It was an outstanding vantage point to see the misery of of teeming  ex-pats along Buakhao and environs.   I have no desire or need to move to Pattaya.  

My sample size/visit is small. My experiences seemed too prevalent and not indicative what residing in Pattaya may be like for a few. I applaud those that truly enjoy their situation in Pattaya. What bolsters what I've said  are the misfits and shoestring living folk that get uptight of what I've said ... then bitch on other topics pertaining Pattaya and other actual circumstances.  

I'm fine with a strong TBH. Pattaya needs a cleanse.    

Archived