Travel insurance

Hi Gents;

I intent to travel to LoS in November and stay 6 months. I'm planing to apply for METV. The issue is that my whole year insurance covers only trips up to 90 days. An insurance that covers 6 months costs around 1200 $. It seems to me that I have to return home after 89 days and travel back after few days home. that's very boring and annoying. but cheap.

I wonder

- if I could get problems at the airport when returning.

- Eventually if I could some travel insurance in LoS.

How do long stayers solve this situation?

I visit Thailand for five months and buy travel insurance in the UK for about £400. I think that if I shop around I can get it for less. The travel aspect in two flights is minimal so I don’t need cancellation, baggage delay etc. cover. Basically I want medical cover in one of the cheapest places in the world so maybe I will consider buying in Thailand this year. 

At this time there is no requirement to have travel insurance to enter the country.

There is only a proposal to charge a fee of approximately 100 baht when entering the country to cover costs of medical care while in the country,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have similar travel insurance, unlimited trips of less than 92 days. I just fly back, as I normally have issues to address in the UK anyway. You also have UK residency, for since your under the 183 days is not an issue for you.

(Just keep an eye on the NHS guidance for how long you can be out the country, should you extend your trips further, in future)

Watch the small print in any Thai policy, some say you have to be in Thailand more than 180days ( depends what type of insurance company they are). This is probable (for me)but not guaranteed, so makes those policies of dubious worth, and would be worthless for you, if they have that clause!

I have a Thai bank savings account, ( yet to get a ATM card ????) which I put no less than 800baht/week in as a self insurance for outpatients.

Yet to find a local solution on insurance, that looks credible....

Hi Gents;
I intent to travel to LoS in November and stay 6 months. I'm planing to apply for METV. The issue is that my whole year insurance covers only trips up to 90 days. An insurance that covers 6 months costs around 1200 $. It seems to me that I have to return home after 89 days and travel back after few days home. that's very boring and annoying. but cheap.
I wonder
- if I could get problems at the airport when returning.
- Eventually if I could some travel insurance in LoS.
How do long stayers solve this situation?
Just get 6 months travel insurance, in the UK i pay £180 for 9 months but I'm 49. Shop around online, use the insurance comparison sites such as gocompare.com

Try and get Backpackers Insurance. This covers trips in some cases up to two years. I have just got this as we are travelling as a family of four for a year. It cost £330 for two adults 50 years old and two kids 13 &12

2 hours ago, plum77 said:

Try and get Backpackers Insurance. This covers trips in some cases up to two years. I have just got this as we are travelling as a family of four for a year. It cost £330 for two adults 50 years old and two kids 13 &12

With which company was that please?

Most 'travel insurance' policies only cover up to 90 days maximum in any one trip.

And what does it cover, illness, accident, 

Edited by wgdanson

With which company was that please?
Most 'travel insurance' policies only cover up to 90 days maximum in any one trip.
And what does it cover, illness, accident, 
Backpacker insurance does cover you for up to 2 years for same as normal travel insurance, downside is it's usually only available up to 49, you need to check if there's any exceptions

gocompare.com
moneysupermarket.com
comparethemarket.com
confused.com

I don’t know about Sweden, but in my country it’s easy to get a credit card that comes with free travel insurance. My card covers me for unlimited medical for trips of up to 6 months, as long as I use it to pay for my airfare. Although it’s called a platinum card, the annual fee’s modest, and you don’t need a  high income to be approved for it, just a good credit record, I suppose.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is only a proposal to charge a fee of approximately 100 baht when entering the country to cover costs of medical care while in the country,

If this fee’s introduced, I imagine that the Thai government would still expect tourists to pay the full cost of emergency medical treatment themselves, either from a travel insurance policy or their own money. The purpose of the levy would be to save Thai taxpayers from having to pay for medical care of tourists with insufficient funds, which I think would be a pretty small number of people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I don’t know about Sweden, but in my country it’s easy to get a credit card that comes with free travel insurance. My card covers me for unlimited medical for trips of up to 6 months, as long as I use it to pay for my airfare. Although it’s called a platinum card, the annual fee’s modest, and you don’t need a  high income to be approved for it, just a good credit record, I suppose.

Thanks for that. Which country is yours? My Barclays Visa card is called Platinum and I use it for my air tickets but I am not aware of paying a fee for it, I shall research  .

10 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

My card covers me for unlimited medical for trips of up to 6 months, as long as I use it to pay for my airfare. Although it’s called a platinum card,

Can you please name the card and issuing bank. I have 67 credit cards and close to one million USD in available in credit. As I have ran out of all the bug bank credit cards, now I am shopping for small banks and credit unions every time I visit  USA. I wonder how did I miss this one or may be I have this one but never realized it. 

Edited by onera1961