MSDHS set to elaborate on house smoking ban law

rooster59

MSDHS set to elaborate on house smoking ban law

Tanakorn Sangiam

30febfa91d237592d5f2761c31f5a474_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 June 2019 (NNT) - The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security is set to start a campaign to raise awareness of the anti domestic violence and domestic smoking ban law, effective from August.

The recently passed Family Development and Protection Promotion Act BE 2562 will be effective from 20th August this year. This new law is focused on the prevention of domestic violence, and personal rights protection including the prevention of smoking by any family member in the house, that might contribute to violence.

The rationale behind the ban is to prevent smokers, who may be in a bad mood because of smoking restrictions, from resorting to physical, verbal, or mental aggression, and causing negative health effects from tobacco smoke among other family members. The ban sees tobacco as not the direct source of violence, but one of the stimuli. There has however been no clear indication on the connection between smoking and violence towards children.

The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (MSDHS) will create a campaign to raise public awareness of this new law, which will only consider smoking at home illegal when tobacco smoke affects others and causes illnesses among family members. Violators will then be required to enter a rehabilitation program to quit smoking.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-23

This draconian thoughtless law will open up a huge can of worms allowing them to get into and monitor your and everyone's private personal life. It will expand to allowing neighbors to lodge a complaint against you even if you did not do anything wrong and were on your own property. Now for them forcing you to quit smoking, this is a human rights violation. There is nothing good coming from Thailand and the Juntas government now. All about restrictions and foot on the throat. I can just see it when 711 and all stores have facial recognition when you buy a pack a smokes allowing them to categorize you on their hit list.

The members of this ministry must be all non-smokers.

I am a non-smoker but am sometimes in a bad mood. Maybe they can think up another great law like this one for me. 

IQ tests for all gov't ministries might be a good law, just saying.....

22 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It will expand to allowing neighbors to lodge a complaint against you

I think not:

this new law, which will only consider smoking at home illegal when tobacco smoke affects others and causes illnesses among family members

If you are a smoker, it might be a good idea to set up a waiver form that everybody in your family including domestic staff must sign, declaring that they will not hold you responsible for any illnesses - chronic or acute - that may (or may not) have been caused by being exposed to second-hand smoke while on your premises.

Also make sure to have a stack of blank forms handy to be signed by literally everyone else before they are permitted to enter your house or setting foot on your premises for whichever purpose - guests, the in-laws, the postman, the plumber, the local lottery seller, etc., etc.

Put up big warning signs on your front gate and all around the perimeter wall calling attention to the fact that people are entering a contaminated area that may put their health at peril.

And since we are already at it, don't forget to also have all neighbors within a 3-mile radius around your home sign a waiver. After all, when you enjoy a cigarette outside on your porch some of that smoke is bound to waft onto their premises, possibly causing them serious illnesses while they are tending to their twice-weekly burning of heaps of plastic trash in their backyards. 

I feel that this thoughtless, privacy-infringing law is going to be abused by all sorts of people realizing a chance for cashing in whenever they have contracted a hay fever or sinus infection that they will blame on their exposure to YOUR tobacco smoke, triggering a Biblical flood of law suits.

This is crazy stuff. The Thai link between violence and smoking is a bit tenuous for sure. However second hand smoke and smoking ???? does cause harm.

hilariously some call the a human rights violation. Perhaps they live in the jungle and are not yet aware of the harm smoking causes. The research as far back as 1970 then subsequent studies paint a clear picture. 

Socially those who smoke are looked upon as uneducated, slow, unthinking people who have made the conscious choice to endanger others as well as themselves. 

6 minutes ago, grantbkk said:

Socially those who smoke are looked upon as uneducated, slow, unthinking people who have made the conscious choice to endanger others as well as themselves. 

Excuse me.....I smoke and I see my self as a suave sophisticated debonair man of the world.....Who can enjoy the rich satisfying flavors of a good smoke...And who is a real gentleman who will share his smoke with anybody.. 

So, a law with a such hazy and convoluted reasoning behind that it will therefore never be enforced, or just in an opportunistic manner, using its lack of clarity to make it say what ever suits an accuser. 

3 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

I’m guessing alcohol would have a greater impact on mood/violence than smoking. Ban drinking at home? Yeah, sure! (Sarcasm alert.)

?

Drinking does not permeate to other members of the household, which could include pregnant women and children. You see that, right? Or no? 

1 hour ago, grantbkk said:

This is crazy stuff. The Thai link between violence and smoking is a bit tenuous for sure. However second hand smoke and smoking ???? does cause harm.

hilariously some call the a human rights violation. Perhaps they live in the jungle and are not yet aware of the harm smoking causes. The research as far back as 1970 then subsequent studies paint a clear picture. 

Sure, especially cigars are a sign of the poor and uneducated white old man that never had a school education and must endure their life in poverty. 

Yeah totally, that's why our beloved german ex chancellor Helmut Schmidt can fag in TV

14820e00f32756d2-jpg.jpg

Here's another uneducated dude fagging away, they call him sigmund freud

Sigmund_Freud,_by_Max_Halberstadt_(cropp

I don't smoke inside but the solution for me would be easy - don't let any thai person ever again into your house.

What complete bosh!!

Using the logic of these claims, one could easily argue that people should never, never, NEVER discuss politics in the house, as that might trigger violence.

And one should never, never, NEVER say anything about the great Leader - as that could trigger even worse violence!!

This is all madness on stilts. And I am a life-long and committed NON-smoker, by the way!

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Soon they will also tax overweight people.

The state is increasingly trying to determine the privacy of people.

Soon they will also punish farting.

Yes, Tomacht8. You are right.

Even Orwell in his great Nineteen Eighty-Four did not envisage this degree of government interference in people's lives and choices.

This is total lunacy - and it will get worse and worse - unless people say 'NO!'

Well you smokers can all move to north Korea then

Tobacco smoking is popular and, at least for men, culturally acceptable in North Korea. ... There are tobacco control programs in North Korea, and although smoking is not prohibited in all public spaces, the smoking rates have declined since their peak in the 2000s.

geez, ussa nanny state coming to thailand. thought thailand was 'land of the free'.....

brilliant, smokers Mrs starts yacking about AGAINST THE LAW, smoker starts nicotine withdrawal, which is similar to wanting to kill someone, smoker stomps Mrs to a pulp. 

govt at work at it's best.

?
Drinking does not permeate to other members of the household, which could include pregnant women and children. You see that, right? Or no? 

See that?!?! NO! Drinking permeates the entire society. How many stories have there been about dead girlfriends/wives or abused children due to a drunken episode? Not to mention drunken brawls or carnage on the roads due to alcohol. You see that, right? Or no?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

Yes, Tomacht8. You are right.

Even Orwell in his great Nineteen Eighty-Four did not envisage this degree of government interference in people's lives and choices.

This is total lunacy - and it will get worse and worse - unless people say 'NO!'

The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security. Sounds like something straight out of 1984.

War is peace.........

Freedom is slavery.........

Ignorance is strength........

7 hours ago, grantbkk said:

I would love to see this "science".

... probably the same kind of science that says that CO2 causes climate change.

... or the kind of science that says saturated fat causes heart disease.

It's so boring with people like you who repeat everything the media pushes

without ever questioning the "science" or most of all who finances all these

studies to get the result that fits into the ideology.

And you can be pretty sure that I am not uneducated [even though I wish I was], I am not slow

and I don't endanger anybody. The only conscious choice I made was to use my own mind

instead of blindly following what others tell me ... meaning I am completely not normal in your 

world of stupidity !

Archived