Paraplegic and confined to a wheelchair but Thaivisa's top poster is "still standing" in Thailand

rooster59

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It's a shame you are only allowed to win POTY once Colin. Your input is always right up there and if you could win more than once, I think you would be a top contender every year. Awesome to have such a great poster, with such a wicked sense of humour overcoming such adversity. Inspirational. Truly inspirational to us all.

Great human story. The best type of Englishman: honest, tough, yet kind with a good sense of humour.

Despite your many daily physical challenges, your love life has had the type of ‘happy ending’ that most farang men are hoping for when they ‘shut up shop’ back home, and venture into Thailand.

I am sad you can win POTY only once in your lifetime. Surely the rules can be changed? The winner for instance ‘takes a rest’ from nomination for one, or perhaps, two years only and then becomes eligible again.

Glad to read your story Colin , over the past few years and your comments I realised you had been through the wars now we can see how you came through.  Cheers Colin , I won't grumble about the 39B - quid today ......... tomorrow yes but not today.

Legend. One of the few posters on here whose comments I will always read when flicking through. A shining example of going through a tough time but coming out the other side still positive.

The mayority of people have problems, difficulties and contrarieties, living as expat in Th. and I am a example.

As Darksidedog said, you (Colin) , also makes my own problems into insignificance. I emphasize your sharpness when use the sense of humor as a weapon with a great emotional intelligence.

“Well, nobody is perfect”...

All my respect to you, Colin.

Heart wrenching experience Colin and one everyone should remember and take very seriously when treading a path through Thailand living 

You seem to have fallen on the extremes of life here from the very worst to the wonderful and compassionate side of this country and its people - I have seen both but nothing to the extent you have seen.

May the good fortune and happiness you have found continue - all the best 

smeds

My thanks to Rooster and TVF for "exposing" my digital pal Colin. I knew much of this but not all. It was a great read, very well composed.

Colin is on my bucket list for a visit. I look forward to shaking the hand and personally exchanging with a man who possesses the cajones to push on and enjoy life in the face of such adversity.

I doubt that I could have endured what he has.

And thanks to xxxxxxx for being such a great woman and always being there for him.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

They breed them tough in Preston......keep smiling Colin and give the missus a kiss from me (hansum prince) as she is a diamond :thumbsup:

"she is a diamond."

^^^This. You truly are blessed and deservedly so after all your personal challenges. You appear to be a "Yes" person. It's a rare outlook and attitude here on TVF and in Real Life. May there be many more Colins. 

High five to Rooster. Well done.

55 minutes ago, homeseeker said:

This article is very well written and highly informative.

Right; even me, as a french man - nobody is perfect :tongue:-  I can understand all the words

( listening the Moody Blues and now Joe Bonamassa );

I'm not living in a wheelchair but I guess how hard it must be to live like this in a small Thai village ;

Like Colin, I'm the only farang in my village not far from Sawang Daen Din in Sakon Nakhon province ;

I'm 70 old in a few days ;

I have a Thai neighbor who is also in an electric wheelchair; he exploded his pickup in a tree a few tens of meters from his home, so in the village , he was drunk. 

I regularly go to Khon Kaen because our last daughter who has an autoimmune disease has to have regular checkups and be seen by a specialized doctor;
I have long wanted to ask Colin if he would agree to me visiting him.
The question is asked ...
Ban Phai, I went there in MTB a few years ago when, with my cycling friends from Sakon Nakhon province, we cycled to Bangkok to pay tribute to Rama IX .

Long live Colin , to paraphrase what is written on some of our cycling jerseys :heart_001:

The sad thing about this report is the fact that Thais took advantage of the incredibly positive chap.

For a nation of people who portray such humble exsistance is an obvious lie to the rest of the world. For those individuals that steal from a disabled person, they are nothing more than sad low life scum...

I thank my lucky stars that I am mobile, but when I see those greedy street vendors, small business owners, vehicle users etc that use public pedestrian high ways as there own convenient space, not giving a rats about those individuals such as parents with small children, elderly, disabled etc who are forced into walking into busy roads etc... makes my blood boil. 

No compassion. No regard for other humans especially those with a disability, elderly or with children.

This is Thailand . ME ME ME

3 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

The sad thing about this report is the fact that Thais took advantage of the ppor chap. For a nation of people who portray such humble exsistance is an obvious lie to the rest of the world.

I thank my lucky stars that I am mobile, but when I see those greedy street vendors, small business owners, vehicle users etc that use public pedestrian high ways as there own convenient space, not giving a rats about those individuals such as parents with small children, elderly, disabled etc who are forced into walking into busy roads etc... it makes my blood boil. 

No compassion. No regard for other humans especially those with a disability, elderly or with children.

Very many yes, but not all. Some are kind and considerate. Just like the rest of the world.

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Right; even me, as a french man - nobody is perfect :tongue:-  I can understand all the words

( listening the Moody Blues and now Joe Bonamassa );

I'm not living in a wheelchair but I guess how hard it must be to live like this in a small Thai village ;

Like Colin, I'm the only farang in my village not far from Sawang Daen Din in Sakon Nakhon province ;

I'm 70 old in a few days ;

I have a Thai neighbor who is also in an electric wheelchair; he exploded his pickup in a tree a few tens of meters from his home, so in the village , he was drunk. 

I regularly go to Khon Kaen because our last daughter who has an autoimmune disease has to have regular checkups and be seen by a specialized doctor;
I have long wanted to ask Colin if he would agree to me visiting him.
The question is asked ...
Ban Phai, I went there in MTB a few years ago when, with my cycling friends from Sakon Nakhon province, we cycled to Bangkok to pay tribute to Rama IX .

Long live Colin , to paraphrase what is written on some of our cycling jerseys :heart_001:

Well mate, i would be very happy for you to visit, i have a handful of farang friends who take time to come see me, and believe me it is great, as being here alone during the day can sometimes be a bit boring.

I have a few neighbours who stop at the gate, and try their best to converse with me, but it is not the same as having a good natter with English speaking folk.

The best of the bunch is my mate Bobby Cullen, he visits me every wednesday, if for any reason he is unable to visit, he calls me, then visits on a friday.

33 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Legend. One of the few posters on here whose comments I will always read when flicking through. A shining example of going through a tough time but coming out the other side still positive.

Same here SammyT as I have always looked for Colins posts and I mostly agree with them and even when I don't, I know that they are coming from someone who is just sharing his honest point of view, and that's all anyone can ask of a poster.

A fantastic example of someone who has overcome almost unbelievable obstacles, yet still remains steadfast and adamant that he is in the right country, and still maintains a sense of humour – – what a character.

And may I add, that I have nothing but respect and admiration for his wife, an absolute gem of a find.

Keep up the good work Colin and I look forward to reading your posts for many, many years to come.

All the very best.

19 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

The sad thing about this report is the fact that Thais took advantage of the incredibly positive chap.

For a nation of people who portray such humble exsistance is an obvious lie to the rest of the world. For those individuals that steal from a disabled person, they are nothing more than sad low life scum...

I thank my lucky stars that I am mobile, but when I see those greedy street vendors, small business owners, vehicle users etc that use public pedestrian high ways as there own convenient space, not giving a rats about those individuals such as parents with small children, elderly, disabled etc who are forced into walking into busy roads etc... makes my blood boil. 

This is incredible. You managed to read an article about a guy who has seen the worst of thai society but bears no real grudges to the rest of them, and turn it into a soapbox to spout your own crap about how much you hate Thais. That's a special skill.  

There are good and bad people in every country. Bar none. 

Archived