Thailand not same... in so many ways

Brunolem

There never was a more appropriate motto than "Thailand not same" 

Considering the state of today's world, that may not be a bad thing in itself...up to a certain extent... 

In order to stick to its motto, Thailand is, in some cases, left stuck in the past, because it has not yet found an alternative to what is done elsewhere, which it certainly won't copy... Buddha forbid! 

Here are some a few examples of notsameness:

1. Carbon paper is still widely used

Carbon paper...??? Not same for sure... 

2. On TV, radio, in theaters and anywhere else, the audience must be informed that something funny is coming, by a whole paraphernalia of sounds (bicycle horn, cymbal, whistle, expanding spring) that were used elsewhere in small circuses decades ago, when the clowns were on scene, yet disappeared together with the circuses... not same, not same... 

3. While it has been long known that, in order to keep the traffic fluid, the lights must turn red/green frequently (every 30 seconds in Paris for example), Thailand prefers to keep them on for many minutes (up to 15 minutes for some traffic lights in Bangkok)... it also doesn't help that drivers in the Land of Smiles need to go through any crossroad in turn, each of the four ways one after the other, instead of the two ways facing each other going at the same time. 

Definitely not same... 

Feel free to share other examples of notsameness... there are so many... 

In Thailand, as in so many other cultures, cheap and available technology has over taken the population's education and social development.  In  many ways technology now rules the people, who are essentially and majorly, lacking in the skills knowledge and experience to control the impact.  Your examples are a good illustration of this phenomena. In a village like my wife's, where the majority of the older people cannot read or write and are largely, if not totally uneducated, they walk around with smart phones, have smart TVs and drive new 3 lite pick ups, none of which they truly understand or can control.  This also translates into other areas of Thai life, poor urban planning, a dysfunctional Police Force, a dysfunctional aviation sector (the only sector where I can speak from some knowledge), poor traffic planning (your point), poor social provision, poor medical facilities for the poor.   Insulting though this sounds, it's like partly educated teenagers running a country. I doubt that Thailand is any better or worse than many other developing countries, it's just that it's technology has outpaced its ability to adapt, understand, plan and control it,  at a far faster rate than many others.   They have not had the benefit, as we in the more developed World have had, of 200 years of slow deliberate technological change, that enabled society to adapt and develop with it.  Just look at China as an example, 60 years from a backward, uneducated, rural based Nation to being one of the top dogs around.  No wonder people can't cope and don't understand.   

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I doubt that Thailand is any better or worse than many other developing countries, it's just that it's technology has outpaced its ability to adapt, understand, plan and control it,  at a far faster rate than many others.   They have not had the benefit, as we in the more developed World have had, of 200 years of slow deliberate technological change, that enabled society to adapt and develop with it.  Just look at China as an example, 60 years from a backward, uneducated, rural based Nation to being one of the top dogs around.  No wonder people can't cope and don't understand.   

Good point... the problem now is that technology is changing so fast that even so-called developed countries can't adapt. 

While a few "techwiz" keep up to date, more and more are left behind, at varrying stages... 

This in turn adds to the growing inequalities among the populations. 

Meanwhile, in so-called developing countries, many people have jumped overnight from the 19th to the 21st century, without any understanding of the consequences. 

In my village, for example, I have seen people moving from a status/behavior of traditional farmer to that of TV or phone addicts, in a little more than 10 years. 

Yet, Thailand could do a better job at educating its population, instead of encouraging it to "being not same" and use this motto to cover all kinds of shortcomings... 

11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Good point... the problem now is that technology is changing so fast that even so-called developed countries can't adapt. 

While a few "techwiz" keep up to date, more and more are left behind, at varrying stages... 

This in turn adds to the growing inequalities among the populations. 

Meanwhile, in so-called developing countries, many people have jumped overnight from the 19th to the 21st century, without any understanding of the consequences. 

In my village, for example, I have seen people moving from a status/behavior of traditional farmer to that of TV or phone addicts, in a little more than 10 years. 

Yet, Thailand could do a better job at educating its population, instead of encouraging it to "being not same" and use this motto to cover all kinds of shortcomings... 

Agree  with all that.  My own view is that the teachers should be the key, but they are often not up to the job and are as far behind,  if not further behind, than the kids they are teaching.  University/college level education are  little better in many many cases It all starts  with education. 

well,yes and no i first came here in 1989,you could not get bread,i think from living here 7 years things have improved but addiction to mobile phones is unhealthy,my now seperated wife was never off hers,however i spent a day with my new girl and her adult daughter this week and i think her daughter took one call,my girl none,so i guess it depends on the person,but for sure the country is changing,they are catching up with the west,if only the education systen could and more could speak english this would propel them further forward,but i also think it is important they still continue with upholding their own culture as in any country.

Regardless of the number of Smartphones in use and how many cars are on the road.

-The way Thai's "think" has not changed 1 Iota compared to 30 years ago. Except (some) new age university students. But that is a negligeable minority.

Thailand is by far not the only country in SE/Asia that welcomes all technological "advances" but at the same time making every effort to adhere to "traditional-values".

So, inspite of "changes on the surface", inside the haeds of Thai's, nothing has changed. Not in the last 30 years. As far as this is concerned, it's strictly "same same". For better or for worse.

8 hours ago, swissie said:

Regardless of the number of Smartphones in use and how many cars are on the road.

-The way Thai's "think" has not changed 1 Iota compared to 30 years ago. Except (some) new age university students. But that is a negligeable minority.

Thailand is by far not the only country in SE/Asia that welcomes all technological "advances" but at the same time making every effort to adhere to "traditional-values".

So, inspite of "changes on the surface", inside the haeds of Thai's, nothing has changed. Not in the last 30 years. As far as this is concerned, it's strictly "same same". For better or for worse.

Well... yes and no... 

Some things have changed. 

For example, like their Western counterparts, Thais have become reliant (addicted) to government handouts and credit (debt). 

That was not the case 20 years ago, even though cars already existed at that time, but Thai people were more financially responsible than they have become...

To really understand, value and adapt to technology and technological change, you must be able to relate to the world at large and to recent history.  Most Thai adults, never mind the kids, don't have the first idea of the world  around them, or the history or even the geography; certain;y not the science.  This results in an insular society that is always inward looking. Whether people like the idea or not, change, development and advancement for any Nation means a dilution of culture that is holding you back.  Thais have yet to recognise this.  

Yes not tarred with the same brush.

thailand is not the same. The south, north, north east and central have different language, different food, different life, different people, different crops, different business.

In the south we have a lot of Burma people, lot of Islam, lot of Chinese thai, and thai people. Everybody friendly and polite. Respect each other.

The very south have a lot the problem. Religion and land. Terrible.

Bangkok people are city people, fashion, live in the pollution and a little bit chuby because indoor life. Have good education, and mix people from everywhere in Thailand to work.

The north east/ issan. They have good food(sap) good music (morlam sing), a lot is hard working. Very friendly.

But is primitive people. They eat insect, toads, sometime eat the dog (sakon Nakorn). There have the language, but never have the alphabet, no writing, so they use the Thai one. Most of the older people can not read and there teeth and health not so good. The get liver fluke from the food. They don’t care about education so much.

Many farang marry there, and expectation too much, so have the problem. And think all thai is like issan/Lao people.

Also they have the Yaba and laokao wiskey problem a lot.

South issan, Buriram, surin, Sri saket, and Udom is also different, lot of lao/kmer hybrid, Cambodia, and tribe like the Thai Suay. Also primitive.

The north people have a lot of different people. The Thai people and the mountain people, Tai Yai, Akha, Lahu, Hmong, Yao, Lisu and the other one. Friendly people also. Good food also.

Thailand not the same....so many ways.

Not tarred with the same brush.

9 hours ago, swissie said:

No, Thailand has changed so much. From third world farm country to developing factory/ manufacture country.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/thailand/overview

thailand is not the same. The south, north, north east and central have different language, different food, different life, different people, different crops, different business.

In the south we have a lot of Burma people, lot of Islam, lot of Chinese thai, and thai people. Everybody friendly and polite. Respect each other.

Bangkok people are city people, fashion, live in the pollution and a little bit chuby because indoor life. Have good education, and mix people from everywhere in Thailand to work.

The north east/ issan. They have good food(sap) good music (morlam sing), a lot is hard working. Very friendly.
 But is primitive people. They eat insect, toads, sometime eat the dog (sakon Nakorn). There have the language, but never have the alphabet, no writing, so they use the Thai one. Most of the older people can not read and there teeth and health not so good. The get liver fluke from the food. They don’t care about education so much.
Many farang marry there, and expectation too much, so have the problem. And think all thai is like issan/Lao people.

South issan, Buriram, surin, Sri saket, and Udom is also different, lot of lao/kmer hybrid, Cambodia, and tribe like the Thai Suay. Also primitive.

The north people have a lot of different people. The Thai people and the mountain people, Tai Yai, Akha, Lahu, Hmong, Yao, Lisu and the other one. Friendly people also. Good food also.

Very informative post and I think it sums Thailand up nicely, many expats don’t see the cultural differences and believe that Thailand is the same as their vicinity.

( glad to see you are using your new found phrase “ not tarred with the same brush “ [emoji51])

43 minutes ago, Yinn said:

In the south we have a lot of Burma people, lot of Islam, lot of Chinese thai, and thai people. Everybody friendly 7and polite. Respect each other.

That is true from the inside, but my point is about Thailand with regard to outside, and from that point of view, Thai people all react more or less in the same way: they try to explain/justify everything with "Thailand not same". 

This is particularly obvious when it comes to rules and laws, and their amazing flexibility... have you ever seen books of Thai laws by the way? 

Probably not, here laws are custom made, depending on who is involved, when, where and so on... not same... 

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

So true ... another post with useful insights.  Thank you, @Yinn.

But I often hear my fellow expats talking about Thai people as if they actually were all the same.  I wonder why they don't or can't see the obvious differences. 

2 hours ago, RLAretired said:

But I often hear my fellow expats talking about Thai people as if they actually were all the same.  I wonder why they don't or can't see the obvious differences. 

Because most expat know about the issan and especially the south issan people. 

When I work the Patong hotel we ask for the foreigner passport and the Thai ID card, it have the province. About 90% is like that. Buriram, Surin, KK, Ubon, Udon ,Korat  so much.

You right about that some people that can not see the “difference”. A lot of farang really think the tomboy is the real Thai boy. And that ladyboy is really the woman.

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Probably not, here laws are custom made, depending on who is involved, when, where and so on... not same... 

That so true. 

So on = how much money you have is important thing also.

2. On TV, radio, in theaters and anywhere else, the audience must be informed that something funny is coming, by a whole paraphernalia of sounds (bicycle horn, cymbal, whistle, expanding spring) that were used elsewhere in small circuses decades ago, when the clowns were on scene, yet disappeared together with the circuses... not same, not same... 

Humour is different around the world. Whilst I take your point, it could be equated to American TV comedy where they insist on using canned laughter for any response from a remark regardless if it is funny or not. Once i hear that canned laughter, I change channels as I find it annoying, but the differences in comedy just between the english speaking countries would make its own thread.

22 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Very informative post and I think it sums Thailand up nicely, many expats don’t see the cultural differences and believe that Thailand is the same as their vicinity.

( glad to see you are using your new found phrase “ not tarred with the same brush “ emoji51.png)

My English teacher just told me I tarred the people from the same area with the same brush! He correct! 555555

So so I want to say “Generally speaking, people from ........”

Thailand, much like everything else in the universe, is in a constant state of change, and by the very nature of time, change must occur in an ongoing way, 

Your post implies that Thailand is stuck in the past, yet they have roads that are on a par with developed countries, and as far as I am concerned, their way of life beats the hell out of the western way of living.

The key to endless frustration is comparing Thailand and the Thais to your home country, rather let go and accept this unique country for what it is!

34 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Your post implies that Thailand is stuck in the past, yet they have roads that are on a par with developed countries, and as far as I am concerned, their way of life beats the hell out of the western way of living.

No to the first statement and yes to the second one. 

Roads are certainly not on par with so-called developed countries, many being either full of potholes, or full of bumps once the potholes have been filled up. 

They may be on par with US roads, which date from the 50s for a large part, but not with most other so-called developed countries' roads. 

The reason is simple: massive corruption among those in charge of public works. 

Now, the Thai way of life is certainly much better than the insane Western way of life, which is probably why many Westerners enjoy living in Thailand. 

Finally, my initial post was not to imply that Thailand at large is stuck in the past, but that its willingness to not being same sometimes leads to being stuck with issues that have been delt with long ago elsewhere (traffic lights, electricity grid...). 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, RLAretired said:

Because for most of the posters their 'Thailand experience" consists of sitting on a bar stool in Pattaya or Phuket and regurgitating the same old worn out clichés heard from the other old fat gutted expats who are struggling to survive on their minimal pension and fail to understand why the Asian peasants aren't falling over themselves to ingratiate themselves to white Bwana.

Oh your wife speaks English - she's a whore tut tut tut.

Murder? 500 baht and a wai.

Basically speaking they have been nowhere and done nothing in Thailand. Most of the information they have is from Thai Visa Forum and they have become internet experts on all things Thai. I suspect many have never even stepped foot into Thailand in the last 10 years and those that have for no longer than two weeks.

Sad but IMO true.

Archived