How easy is it to replace batteries on mobile phones?

up2you2

Here is my current example:

I would like to inform you that the Asus battery Zenfone 5 is about 250 Baht, and we have service cost 500 Baht because it was built-in battery, but we have to order battery around 7-14 day, so you can bring your phone to the service center in Bangkok for repair and contact our staff.

I am sure others experiences would be of interest.

I read an interesting article about future proved notebooks and I guess the same principle applies:

Check on websites like iFixIt how easy or difficult it is to replace parts (including the battery).

It seems they have lots of info about lots of models.

Is your point being that the ASUS service center in BKK is willing and capable to replace batteries on models of their phones that have built-in batteries, as opposed to the now rare user-removable ones?

I've bought ASUS phones in the past BECAUSE they had decent models that came with user removable/replaceable batteries. But even ASUS with their newer models in recent years seems to be moving toward the non-user replaceable batteries in their phones.

Actually, I also had an ASUS Android tablet a couple years ago that had its built-in battery start swelling up and begin to pop the front screen off of the tablet. Took it to the ASUS center near Central Rama 9, and they were indeed able to obtain a new battery and replace the non-user replaceable one it came with -- for a very reasonable purchase and install cost similar to what you mention.

One of the things I've always wondered with the newer crop of almost all non-user replaceable battery phones from manufacturers like Samsung and Motorola, etc. is when they say non-removable battery, does that mean just by you the owner, or, does it mean that the phone is built in such a way that the battery really can't be replaced?

Lazada sells the battery for what you are being quoted... Just about any shop will charge you ~500 baht to pop open any phone to replace whatever... So the price you have been quoted by I assume an Asus authorized dealer seems reasonable... If your not familiar with opening a phone I would not risk a diy job to save 500 baht... 

1 minute ago, sfokevin said:

Lazada sells the battery for what you are being quoted... Just about any shop will charge you ~500 baht to pop open any phone to replace whatever... So the price you have been quoted by I assume an Asus authorized dealer seems reasonable... If your not familiar with opening a phone I would not risk a diy job to save 500 baht... 

One difference with ASUS is they're selling you and installing an OEM battery specifically for their phones, whereas with Lazada, you're never quite sure where such a battery is coming from and if it's a genuine item as described or a knockoff low-quality fake.

FWIW, I remember checking with the Samsung service center that's actually located in Central Rama 9 about a year ago re a replacement battery for a J7 2016 model that came with a user replaceable battery, and their price at the time was about 1200b or more just for the battery, since no install work was needed. ASUS is cheap by comparison.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is your point being that the ASUS service center in BKK is willing and capable to replace batteries on models of their phones that have built-in batteries, as opposed to the now rare user-removable ones?

I've bought ASUS phones in the past BECAUSE they had decent models that came with user removable/replaceable batteries. But even ASUS with their newer models in recent years seems to be moving toward the non-user replaceable batteries in their phones.

Actually, I also had an ASUS Android tablet a couple years ago that had its built-in battery start swelling up and begin to pop the front screen off of the tablet. Took it to the ASUS center near Central Rama 9, and they were indeed able to obtain a new battery and replace the non-user replaceable one it came with -- for a very reasonable purchase and install cost similar to what you mention.

No.

Rather the fact that one has to go to Bangkok, that they don't keep batteries in stock, and the sheer time it takes to order one.

1 minute ago, up2you2 said:

No.

Rather the fact that one has to go to Bangkok, that they don't keep batteries in stock, and the sheer time it takes to order one.

When I got my replacement batteries from the ASUS service center in BKK on two different occasions, it took about a week from my placing the request until the batteries arrived from one of their other locations and were installed by them into my devices.

I considered myself fortunate that a) they had replacement batteries at all for devices that at the time were a couple years old from their original purchase, and b] that their price for the batteries and installation was pretty modest compared to elsewhere.

3 hours ago, up2you2 said:

I am sure others experiences would be of interest.

Just one good tip comes to mind. If a thing is built in, let the professionals do the work. If you can open and/or take away the battery, then see to that you get an original battery from a reputable shop anyway. 

Maybe A couple hundred baht or less cell phone repair kit on lazada. Youtube videos by make model how to open phone if neccessary w hair dryer and remove components if needed to get at battery. Never tried it, but bought the tools in case I want to play dr frankenstein w an old phone.

Archived