Visa rules

Hi all just after a bit of advice, since all this visa thing seems to be a real jumbled affair. Came in on a tourist visa a couple months ago and have since got an extension for 30 days.  Now wondering which is the best way to stay longer?  Have a wife  which is great  but the thing is I can't get marriage extention  due to being in hospital for the past 6months with Taburculosis and that cost me all our spare cash till we sell some land  any advice welcome thanks 

31 minutes ago, Joromei said:

They didn't want to give it. So suppose I will have to go out and back again. 

Did you really ask for it???? One is based on an extension of the Tourist-VISA and the other is based on an extension of stay based on being mariied to a thai national, 2 completely different things. So by just showing immigration a yourist-VISA and say that you want 60 days doesn´t do it....

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

3 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Did you really ask for it???? One is based on an extension of the Tourist-VISA and the other is based on an extension of stay based on being mariied to a thai national, 2 completely different things. So by just showing immigration a yourist-VISA and say that you want 60 days doesn´t do it....

glegolo

Yes did all that wife there with all the paper work  still a no  and that took nearly 4hrs . Seems my only option is fly out come back next day  

3 minutes ago, Joromei said:

Seems my only option is fly out come back next day  

Why not make a trip to Savannakhet Laos and apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. No financial proof is needed to get it. The visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

If you would prefer to get a 30 day visa exempt entry you do not have to fly out and back. You could do a border run to get one.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why not make a trip to Savannakhet Laos and apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. No financial proof is needed to get it. The visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

If you would prefer to get a 30 day visa exempt entry you do not have to fly out and back. You could do a border run to get one.

Thanks for that info ubonjoe I was hoping you would see this, and will take your advise  regards!! 

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If I did the Laos trip I would need my wife there wouldn't I ?

5 minutes ago, Joromei said:

If I did the Laos trip I would need my wife there wouldn't I ?

Your wife does not need to be with you to apply for the visa.

You would only need copies of her house book registry and ID card signed by her. Also your original marriage certificate and a copy.

1 hour ago, Joromei said:

They didn't want to give it. So suppose I will have to go out and back again. 

Did you actually obtain a tourist visa from a Consulate and enter with that or just go out and back again for a visa exempt entry?

2 hours ago, fishtank said:

You can get a Non Imm O Visa from Savanakhet Laos.

Presuming your Wife is Thai.

A Multi entry will get you around 15 months,

A Multiple Entry will give almost up to 17 month together with a 60 day extension.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife does not need to be with you to apply for the visa.

You would only need copies of her house book registry and ID card signed by her. Also your original marriage certificate and a copy.

Thanks for that  I don't know how you come by all this info  but your well known for correct info  and will certainly follow  it up  thanks much. 

14 minutes ago, Joromei said:

Thanks for that  I don't know how you come by all this info  but your well known for correct info  and will certainly follow  it up  thanks much. 

U.J. is correct. The original marriage certificate is needed and a signed copy of her ID card. Then you'll have to leave the country every 90 days. 

4 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

U.J. is correct. The original marriage certificate is needed and a signed copy of her ID card. Then you'll have to leave the country every 90 days. 

With each 90 day visa entry he should be able to obtain a 60 day extension if he wants.  

19 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Leaving the country isn't enough for the Thai authorities. They also want you to enter another country so you can't, for example at Mukdahan, exit, cross the road and re-enter. You must go over to Laos, pay $35/1500 baht, lose a page in your passport to a pointless Lao visa, and come back out of Laos even if only five minutes later. Why your entering another country is any of Thai immigration's business is a mystery. They demand you leave Thailand (again, for no logical reason), and that ought to be enough for them. But it isn't.

There was a post here recently about someone who flew to Singapore but didn't enter the country, and he was grilled about it when he returned. Why? He had an exit stamp from Thailand but that wasn't enough for Thai immigration. He was taken aside because he hadn't gone into another country and had to argue his way back in. If there is a way of being illogical and obstructive to a foreigner who has made the error of wanting to live and spend his money and support a family in Thailand, the authorities will find a way.

• Like 2

i started a topic a couple weeks back about going to Laos to "get my VISA stamped to allow me to get another 30 days , because my Marriage VISA was expiring and funds were short, because my wife has existing medical problems. Are you saying, I could go to Laos , get another 30 days, but also go to Savannakhet to apply for a 1 yr Laos Visa?  its a shame this Gov. only sees a Marriage as based on if you have 400000tb in the bank.  I could live on 400k for another 2-3 yrs here.

2 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

i started a topic a couple weeks back about going to Laos to "get my VISA stamped to allow me to get another 30 days , because my Marriage VISA was expiring and funds were short, because my wife has existing medical problems. Are you saying, I could go to Laos , get another 30 days, but also go to Savannakhet to apply for a 1 yr Laos Visa?  its a shame this Gov. only sees a Marriage as based on if you have 400000tb in the bank.  I could live on 400k for another 2-3 yrs here.

You can go to Savvanakeht and get a one year multi-O with no cash and do border runs every 90 days.... Will give you near 15 months...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Leaving the country isn't enough for the Thai authorities. They also want you to enter another country so you can't, for example at Mukdahan, exit, cross the road and re-enter. You must go over to Laos, pay $35/1500 baht, lose a page in your passport to a pointless Lao visa, and come back out of Laos even if only five minutes later. Why your entering another country is any of Thai immigration's business is a mystery. They demand you leave Thailand (again, for no logical reason), and that ought to be enough for them. But it isn't.

There was a post here recently about someone who flew to Singapore but didn't enter the country, and he was grilled about it when he returned. Why? He had an exit stamp from Thailand but that wasn't enough for Thai immigration. He was taken aside because he hadn't gone into another country and had to argue his way back in. If there is a way of being illogical and obstructive to a foreigner who has made the error of wanting to live and spend his money and support a family in Thailand, the authorities will find a way.

Interesting and I touched on this border thingy a few days ago . My point was as follows . The multi entry non imm "o" visa which was available to pensioners receiving their state pension and without proof of savings  or income , only a pension statement , has been ended . Allowed now is a single entry only but a border run has to be done every 90 days .    So to the informed readers , what exactly are the rules for a border run , how long do you have to be out of the country , i.e. minimum / maximum ?    A border run every 90 days and showing another countries visa stamp , surely technically creates an automatic multi entry  ?

4 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

Are you saying, I could go to Laos , get another 30 days, but also go to Savannakhet to apply for a 1 yr Laos Visa?  its a shame this Gov. only sees a Marriage as based on if you have 400000tb in the bank.  I could live on 400k for another 2-3 yrs here.

Not 30 days or a 1 year Lao visa.

You would apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet. No financial proof would be needed. The visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date it is issued.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You can go to Savvanakeht and get a one year multi-O with no cash and do border runs every 90 days.... Will give you near 15 months...

so, I could basically live in Thailand and go back to Laos every 90 days? (sorry, I don't mean to take the other gentlemans topic , off topic.)

8 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

so, I could basically live in Thailand and go back to Laos every 90 days? (sorry, I don't mean to take the other gentlemans topic , off topic.)

Yes. I'm lucky in that I live less than two hours from Mukdahan and can go to Laos, buy some beer and be back home in time for lunch. I just don't like having to do it, for no logical reason, and if the day comes when I am expected to apply for a new visa every 90 days or travel hundreds of kilometres to pay for an extension so I can live with my wife for another few weeks, that'll be the day to make plans to leave.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, superal said:

what exactly are the rules for a border run , how long do you have to be out of the country

They are whatever the Immigration Officer says they are. In the same way that some embassies/consulates issue multi-entry visas and some don't. You do not use the world exactly with Thai immigration rules.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

You could enter any Country you wish and come back.