Visa rules

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They are whatever the Immigration Officer says they are. In the same way that some embassies/consulates issue multi-entry visas and some don't. You do not use the world exactly with Thai immigration rules.

Thanks for your reply but what you are saying is no hard and fast rules and down to the interpretation of the local immigration officer ? I Googled the question but could not find a definitive answer .  I used the m/e visa to visit the UK once or twice a year , now if doing a border run every 90 days could that allow a 2 week out  of Thailand break ?  Last year I had a retirement extension which stipulated that any leaving Thailand would cancel the visa and that to comply an exit visa was needed .  So that was consistent and understandable 

14 minutes ago, superal said:

Thanks for your reply but what you are saying is no hard and fast rules and down to the interpretation of the local immigration officer ? I Googled the question but could not find a definitive answer .  I used the m/e visa to visit the UK once or twice a year , now if doing a border run every 90 days could that allow a 2 week out  of Thailand break ?  Last year I had a retirement extension which stipulated that any leaving Thailand would cancel the visa and that to comply an exit visa was needed .  So that was consistent and understandable 

To answer your first question, yes. That has been written of hundreds of times on ThaiVisa. As to the rest of your post, I have no experience of m/e visas and it is for others to answer.

12 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

anyone have a link to Savannakhet "Immigration"?   I didn't know it was 460kms from Vientiane..maybe I need to leave tomarrow, in case have to spend a night or 2 because of any unknown problems...

You normally travel to Mukdahan in Thailand and cross the river into Laos there (bridge/bus) and other side is Savannakhet.  You always have to spend a night as visa application is Mon-Fri mornings and pickup is next work day.  Remember to check holidays of both Thailand and Laos.  

Immigration is at each end of the bridge.

Edited by lopburi3

56 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

anyone have a link to Savannakhet "Immigration"?   I didn't know it was 460kms from Vientiane..maybe I need to leave tomarrow, in case have to spend a night or 2 because of any unknown problems...

It is a Thai consulate located in Savannakhet Laos not immigration.

Website here. http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/

To get there you travel to the bridge in Mukdahan and crossover to Laos.

Map showing the immigration checkpoint on the Thai side of the bridge. https://goo.gl/maps/iLoobaXJLZfyrtt

You apply the morning of one day and pickup your passport the next afternoon.

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

Be sure to have your ORIGINAL marriage certificates as well as copies of.....

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You normally travel to Mukdahan in Thailand and cross the river into Laos there (bridge/bus) and other side is Savannakhet.  You always have to spend a night as visa application is Mon-Fri mornings and pickup is next work day.  Remember to check holidays of both Thailand and Laos.  

Thanks LopBuri3. and everyone else and especially you guys @ ThaiVisa.  I have 2 more questions: Do I need to download and fill out any forms before going? (take a couple pics, all my marriage papers (just in case), some Thai, and  $ just in case) You know I've been married for 9 yrs here, I have dropped a "little bit" below the 400k, because I have to keep my funds ready, because my wife somehow got blood in the brain and needed an emergency brain surgery. Shes a bit handicaped now, after coming out of a coma...   I believe it was the "eye surgery" her sister told her to do, "to take out the fat". Makes me so mad at them.

I sent you guys a very nice , expensive bottle of "Virtual" Champane. enjoy ....555

12 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

I have 2 more questions: Do I need to download and fill out any forms before going? (take a couple pics, all my marriage papers (just in case), some Thai, and  $ just in case)

You can complete the Lao visa on arrival form that requires one photo. You download the form and find out how much the fee for it is based upon your nationality here. https://www.laos-guide-999.com/laos-visa-on-arrival.html

You need 2 photos for the visa application form. Download: Savannakhet 2501-01-31.PDF143.5 kB · 633 downloads

You will need your marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her. A copy of your passport photo page.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I am 1 hour from Nong Khai..thats an Immigration, right? Can I get the 1 yr Non-O-Visa there ?

UbanJoe, so basically this is the same as Vietnam Visa on arrival,right. Go online, fill out, pay, pick it up. But, I would be driving..any difference? To Vientenne..  My Marriage VISA expires the 29th June........if this is the case, I will get the Laos VISA on Arrival, ..if I can drive to Vientenne from Udon Thani.

Thanks in advance......

I can get a Laos VISA on Arrival in Vientenne, just seen it on there website. So now this 'awakes" another question: Am I missing something or is there a difference in getting a Laos 1 year VISA based on Thai marriage and a VISA on Arrival for others. Sorry the questions guys...so much info going on.....

19 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

I am 1 hour from Nong Khai..thats an Immigration, right? Can I get the 1 yr Non-O-Visa there ?

No.

You have to go to a Thai consulate in another country.

Savanakhet Laos is your nearest option.

21 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

UbanJoe, so basically this is the same as Vietnam Visa on arrival,right. Go online, fill out, pay, pick it up. But, I would be driving..any difference? To Vientenne..  My Marriage VISA expires the 29th June........if this is the case, I will get the Laos VISA on Arrival, ..if I can drive to Vientenne from Udon Thani.

Thanks in advance......

There is no Lao visa available online. You have to apply for it when you enter Laos and pay a fee for it. See my earlier post about the Lao visa on arrival and applying for the visa in Savannakhet.

You can only get a single entry non-o at the Thai embassy in Vientiane Laos. That will allow you one 90 day entry.

To get a multiple entry non-o visa you have to apply for it at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet Laos.

Now confused.."The visa processing time varies between ports of entry. At major airports or at Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge in Vientiane it takes around 10-15 minutes."

From the Laos VISA on Arrival website. i am married to Thai and VISA expires June 29. What to do? Apply for a NEW, VISA on Arrival, at Vientiene if possible, or have to go to Savanakhet for a 1 yrs VISA based on marriage.  

Someone help me clarify this..I am so close I can taste it. And clock is ticking..

Just now, smilemaker said:

OK, OK,,got it. can I do this..Go to Vientiene get a single entry , then after the 90 days, go to Savanakhet for the Multi-Visa? 

You can go for the multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet without getting a single entry in Vientiane first.

Just make the trip to the bridge in Mukdahan clear Thai immigration , cross the bridge to the Savannakhet Laos side of the border, get the Lao VOA and enter Laos.

Then go to the Thai consulate there to apply for the multiple entry non-o visa and pay the 5000 baht fee for it before 11am. Then the next afternoon pick up your passport with the visa in it at 2pm.