Wife's ideas Quirky

Joromei

Been married to my fantastic Thai wife 10yrs now, but in all that time have not been able to change one habit. She will leave food out on the bench overnight , she absolutely is convinced that it should not be put in the fridge. She says it keeps the food warm and not cold not cold like the fridge (go figure)  Needless to say I don't eat left overs in my home. Wondering if I'm the only one that has this happening. Have thought many times to ask but always thought it's just to crazy a subject for the forum  I bet I'm not the only  one though.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It happens from time to time.....I won't eat anything that's been sitting out for more than a short time - maybe a piece of left over sourdough toast - but not like a main meal portion....

If I see something like that sitting out for awhile I stick it in the fridge.......Nobody's complained about that.....

There's 4 of us, so I think that someone made a mistake in leaving it out.....

4 hours ago, Joromei said:

She will leave food out on the bench overnight , she absolutely is convinced that it should not be put in the fridge.

My inlaws do it - I think just out of laziness.  They even have one of those restaurant-sized plastic wrap dispensers, but it doesn't get much use.  It's a lot of little bowls and plates that would take time to wrap up.  The next morning, mother in law is usually re-boiling all the curries, soups and other dishes and then back on the table they go.  If there is still anything left by the afternoon, it gets boiled again and put back on the table.  I never eat this food unless I know it's been prepared fairly recently.

When I first arrived this habit caught me by surprise too, not using the fridge - my family are using the fridge just a little bit more, but if food has to be left out to cool before going in the fridge then is not any possible contamination already done!

We have a fine mesh door cupboard to keep the flies off, where the food is placed, on occasion just a fly cover on the table. Never have I got sick from eating food stored overnight this way.

Rice is cooked fresh every morning, in the evening the dog gets leftovers, so there is some control in place.

Soups and the like are well heated through if reheated the next morning, I normally have fresh cooked bacon egg and chips, with toast if required ????

I remember years ago in the UK we had a fine mesh cupboard for cooked meats and the like, cooler but much the same idea kept meat for 2 or 3 days- I think we overdo the need to put stuff in the fridge if it is eaten within a day

In my view, if the cook is careful then all is good, but I do draw the line at fish the next day!!!! ????

I have the opposite problem. Wife puts things in tupperware containers then pushes them to the back of the fridge and forgets all about them. I often find these and on opening they always stink to high heaven and have gone moldy.

If she wants to leave anything out overnight she puts it in the microwave and closes the door so that if I need to defrost anything for breakfast i have to waft out any odors first.

When cooking vegetables the off cuts always end up on the floor and the simplest dish seems to require the use of every bottle of thai sauce in the cupboard. Cleaning up as you go along she regards as a mortal sin.

The spices that Traditional Thai food is cooked with do have somewhat of an antibacterial effect.  Also, Thais don't cook with cheese, milk or mayonnaise, which are much more likely to go bad than other types of food.

My wife always puts Western food leftovers in the refrigerator, but leaves Thai food out on the table!

14 hours ago, SteveK said:

My wife also refuses to put cooked foods into the fridge, she'd rather leave it out then I have to throw it out the next morning instead of being able to eat it again.

Exactly  !crazy but unchangeable.  Standing joke in our house is I call the missus farm girl when she does crazy stuff like this . She HATES  that ???? 

13 hours ago, Denim said:

I have the opposite problem. Wife puts things in tupperware containers then pushes them to the back of the fridge and forgets all about them. I often find these and on opening they always stink to high heaven and have gone moldy.

If she wants to leave anything out overnight she puts it in the microwave and closes the door so that if I need to defrost anything for breakfast i have to waft out any odors first.

When cooking vegetables the off cuts always end up on the floor and the simplest dish seems to require the use of every bottle of thai sauce in the cupboard. Cleaning up as you go along she regards as a mortal sin.

And here's me thinking I was the only one 

14 hours ago, 473geo said:

When I first arrived this habit caught me by surprise too, not using the fridge - my family are using the fridge just a little bit more, but if food has to be left out to cool before going in the fridge then is not any possible contamination already done!

We have a fine mesh door cupboard to keep the flies off, where the food is placed, on occasion just a fly cover on the table. Never have I got sick from eating food stored overnight this way.

Rice is cooked fresh every morning, in the evening the dog gets leftovers, so there is some control in place.

Soups and the like are well heated through if reheated the next morning, I normally have fresh cooked bacon egg and chips, with toast if required ????

I remember years ago in the UK we had a fine mesh cupboard for cooked meats and the like, cooler but much the same idea kept meat for 2 or 3 days- I think we overdo the need to put stuff in the fridge if it is eaten within a day

In my view, if the cook is careful then all is good, but I do draw the line at fish the next day!!!! ????

Fish? Don't get me started on that one. My missus loves to eat that off rancid fish, it smells the house out for days. I put up with it for years! Not any more  though it's banned in our house and she now cooks it only at her mother's. And bloody hell  does it make ya breath stink for days ???? 

20 hours ago, Joromei said:

she absolutely is convinced that it should not be put in the fridge.

same with my girlfriend. she will leave chicken out. if i put it in the frig she will heat it up again because cold is bad, hot is good.

the funny thing is this is the only voodoo thing she does. very smart otherwise.

yeah my wife does the same thing, i have a rule though, she can eat what she wants but my food and the kids food go into that really nice 30k samsung i bought her.  In freezer bags or in the tupperware set she just had to have.

Mine does it to.
At least once a week she will complain about a sore stomach... and end up in the toilet.... i blame the left over foods, left out on the table... as she is the only one eating it... kids won’t even touch it now.. ha
I told her that fridges were invented to protect food from the bugs... not just to keep the beer cold.
She will then do it for a few days then gradually the foods build up on the table... old habit/tradition kicks in again.
I think it really boils down to education.
Just another frustrating thing that you have to live with in Thailand.
LOS
Land of frustration.
Basis for all topics on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

19 hours ago, 473geo said:

In many cases I suspect there's another point. Thais' don't learn about how food is organic, how it breaks down and eventually maggots develop etc., it's just not part of any school curriculum. My Thai son did a lot of education in Singapore where they do learn subjects like this. He slowly carefully educated his wife and now everything goes quickly into the fridge.

Further, son's wife comes from a Northern farming province, they have a big house with some amenities but there is no fridge.  Some years back my son bought them a decent size fridge, the response was zero, next time he went back to their house the fridge had been move outside (under a small verandah) unplugged and it's now just another storage cupboard, in fact it's full of old supermarket etc., plastic bags which are full of hundreds of the same bags. 

A year back they wanted to have a family / village party with lots of food and cold drinks. Son pushed for the fridge to be emptied and plugged in. Nope, the family insisted that drinks can only be cold if in ice. 

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In many cases I suspect there's another point. Thais' don't learn about how food is organic, how it breaks down and eventually maggots develop etc., it's just not part of any school curriculum. My Thai son did a lot of education in Singapore where they do learn subjects like this. He slowly carefully educated his wife and now everything goes quickly into the fridge.

A former live-in lover opened my eyes to a few home truths about Thai "education". That the Sun is a ball of fire and the Earth goes around it was a total revelation

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, son's wife comes from a Northern farming province, they have a big house with some amenities but there is no fridge.  Some years back my son bought them a decent size fridge, the response was zero, next time he went back to their house the fridge had been move outside (under a small verandah) unplugged and it's now just another storage cupboard, in fact it's full of old supermarket etc., plastic bags which are full of hundreds of the same bags. 

A year back they wanted to have a family / village party with lots of food and cold drinks. Son pushed for the fridge to be emptied and plugged in. Nope, the family insisted that drinks can only be cold if in ice. 

Maggots as I understand are the product of eggs laid by flies, thus if the food is covered, as often is, with fly screens or another plate , or kept in a cupboard with a fine mesh door, should not be an issue.

Leaves the overnight temperatures - well they can get pretty low, so in reality just how much danger is there if the evening meal leftovers are consumed for breakfast

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Maggots as I understand are the product of eggs laid by flies, thus if the food is covered, as often is, with fly screens or another plate , or kept in a cupboard with a fine mesh door, should not be an issue.

Leaves the overnight temperatures - well they can get pretty low, so in reality just how much danger is there if the evening meal leftovers are consumed for breakfast

Food starts to spoil after six hours or even less when its hot (weather)

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Food starts to spoil after six hours or even less when its hot (weather)

Spoil, you mean the lettuce goes limp?

I tend to agree with a previous post that suggested the lack of dairy products and alternative Thai ingredients makes a positive difference.

There is a western dish called Hunters Pot or perpetual stew, I guess the 6 hours rule isn't applied - a similar dish you will note to the Thai cooking method.

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Spoil, you mean the lettuce goes limp?

I tend to agree with a previous post that suggested the lack of dairy products and alternative Thai ingredients makes a positive difference.

There is a western dish called Hunters Pot or perpetual stew, I guess the 6 hours rule isn't applied - a similar dish you will note to the Thai cooking method.

No, its goes bad and gives you a bad stomach 

Just now, sanemax said:

No, its goes bad and gives you a bad stomach 

Thai cooking doesn't give me a bad stomach, now if you mention pla ra, I try to avoid it! Nothing to do with how long it is 'left out' more to do with being 'put in' ????

Archived