Wife's ideas Quirky

Joromei

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tomahawk21 said:

all the men this happens to i can only say one thing grow some, be the man in your house and tell her this is the way things are done ! or hit the road . i never had these problems in MY HOUSE !

Same here ! Nice to see that I am not alone !

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, attrayant said:

My inlaws do it - I think just out of laziness.  They even have one of those restaurant-sized plastic wrap dispensers, but it doesn't get much use.  It's a lot of little bowls and plates that would take time to wrap up.  The next morning, mother in law is usually re-boiling all the curries, soups and other dishes and then back on the table they go.  If there is still anything left by the afternoon, it gets boiled again and put back on the table.  I never eat this food unless I know it's been prepared fairly recently.

curries....in Thailand....5555 that's a first!!!

On 6/23/2019 at 7:58 AM, Joromei said:

Have thought many times to ask but always thought it's just to crazy a subject for the forum  I bet I'm not the only  one though.

You're not alone. My lovely girlfriend is improving, but after 15 years and counting, I often still have to ask, if that food, which have been sitting on the kitchen table half a day now, however covered with cling-film, should walk into the fridge?

Half should, the other half don't need to, as the food will be warmed up tomorrow anyway, so just leave it. Makes sense, in a way, that's how they have done in a traditional Thai house, or village, and survived...????

However, left over farang food always find it's way straight into the fridge, so not same, its different...????

1 hour ago, Tomahawk21 said:

all the men this happens to i can only say one thing grow some, be the man in your house and tell her this is the way things are done ! or hit the road . i never had these problems in MY HOUSE !

Usually happens when you buy your wife or you bring her out of poverty. Some of us have real relationships and built things together. Its our house. 

Also its not your house you just paid for it!

On 6/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, SteveK said:

My wife also refuses to put cooked foods into the fridge, she'd rather leave it out then I have to throw it out the next morning instead of being able to eat it again.

Understanble logic ,   you are paying for the food , same same free..555

Same here very rarely would it sits out all day and overnight. Lot of times canned pears they put in frig with spoon in it. Several different foods they leave the utensils in the dish. 

When end I put things in the fridge I put aluminum foil. Then I will

see someone lifted the foil to see what it is. My thinking none of the family covers food so no need to look...

Nothing new here. My girlfriend and anyone else who happens to be staying in our house, at any particular time, always do it.  My warning, that anything left out of the fridge goes in the bin, is frequently ignored, so in the bin it goes.  Eventually I hope they'll  learn, but they haven't so far.  Such a waste of food, but I'm probably saving them from salmonella.

8 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Usually happens when you buy your wife or you bring her out of poverty. Some of us have real relationships and built things together. Its our house. 

Also its not your house you just paid for it!

you sound just like the sort of bloke im describing here. REAL RELATIONSHIP. our house and getting married. :cheesy:

3 hours ago, mikosan said:

Nothing new here. My girlfriend and anyone else who happens to be staying in our house, at any particular time, always do it.  My warning, that anything left out of the fridge goes in the bin, is frequently ignored, so in the bin it goes.  Eventually I hope they'll  learn, but they haven't so far.  Such a waste of food, but I'm probably saving them from salmonella.

such a waste of your money.

Got my wife to use Tupperware and freeze he delicious Indian/Indonesian curries.. Looks like I have more authority (or maybe more money) than some of you guys.

Actually she is also very good at unfreezing, in the fridge, Tops's Australian beef, 24/48 hours before consumption....

The ways thai's se and keep food is definitely a long held familial and cultural tradition. Given the temperature and humidity in LOS climate to leave food out overnight for my western gut is a recipe for illness. Fridges are set at normally set at 3 degrees this puts the decay process of food in stasis.

One can't logically and scientifically compare cool humidity low western European climate to that of LOS where food hygiene is concerned.

Add to this Thai guts being flora specific and conditioned over many centuries to cope with food bacteria western guts are not.

Perhaps for some the gut will adapt (there seems to be evidence of this taking place from research - note remarks by long time LOS falangs on this forum about having no troubles eating reheated leftover). I personally would not take the risk.

I only eat freshly cooked street food from reputable and well frequented.I never eat from pre-prepared street stalls with pots standing at room temperature all day.

I have over all the years back and forth and living in LOS never eaten shellfish, and only eat well cooked fish, and prawns or shrimp as the Yanks call them.

As the Thai's say; "up to you".

As a result I have had only 3 slight, slight belly troubles and certainly never been admitted to hospital as many, many Thai's I know have with serious digestive system problems. 

34 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Got my wife to use Tupperware and freeze he delicious Indian/Indonesian curries.. Looks like I have more authority (or maybe more money) than some of you guys.

Actually she is also very good at unfreezing, in the fridge, Tops's Australian beef, 24/48 hours before consumption....

Yes, we have a big set of Rubbermaid & they are the go to containers of choice - then to the fridge or freezer.....

I wanted to pick up another set when we were stateside but forgot to.....Usually only one or two left unused....

14 hours ago, connda said:

Actually, in the West you're convinced at a young age that if you don't follow 'food-safety guidelines' it's guaranteed you'll get sick.  And sure as shootin', bacteria-phobic farangd get sick just looking at meat that sat out overnight or a glass of 'third-world' tap water.
However.....
Thais haven't adopted those 'food safety guidelines' not out of ignorance, but because they aren't falling over in droves due to non-refrigeration of foods.  
Joe Farang tells 'ignorant' Thai Mia that she'll end up in the hospital if she eats 24 hour old somtum.  Thai Mia laughs and takes a bite of two day old roasted duck with a somtum chaser.  Joe Farang gags because there is simply no setting these 'backwards', ignorant third-worlder's straight on what every Western school-child knows: unrefrigerated food will kill you!!!  <goes to the refrigerator, pops a gapong of Chang and downs a couple of Albens with an activated charcoal chaser>  
Morale of story?  Folks tend to cling to their own cultural biases as well as biases formed and ingrained since childhood and reinforced by 12 years of school indoctrination that hammers into young minds that - "Cleanliness is Next to Godliness" and refrigerators have been a must since the Stone Age otherwise mankind would never have survived!   
"But we have Science To Back It Up!!!" 
Exactly.  And Thais have practical experience eating the exact kinds of unrefrigerated foods that Westerners insist will make them sick. Annnd....

...nowadays so do I. <laughs, head shake>

You are saying that you cannot get ill from eating old food left out overnight ?

Yes, go "Thai style" if you like and not care about it , ignore all the numerous reports of food poisoning in Thailand .

Why not have raw eggs and mayonnaise for breakfast after  theyve been left out all night ?

It can be difficult to adjust to certain things in Thailand after our western conditioning.

But seeing how meat (for 1 example)

is treated with preservative, firstly in the market then they add variety of salts, MSG and goodness knows what other pastes, lime, chilli, theres not much chance for bacteria to grow.

Considering the danger zone between 40-140F, if something is left out briefly and then gets prolonged heating above 140f, there is no danger.

I have seen them throw rice to the animals, that i thought was ok, but quite rightly they knew it was a danger with bacteria started that cant be killed with heating.

Im sure there are many things that Thais consider (and probably are) dangerous and weird us westerers do but they dont need to lecture and change everything like we do.

Probably best to suspend most western ideals when abroad !

ALMOST got this in reverse today.....My wife made a nice big batch of potato salad today & put in the fridge to cool....

Daughter comes home from school - I walked into the kitchen just as she was putting it in the microwave to heat it.....

My wife's family insist on putting a blanket over the fridge/freezer to make it look nice, therefore the freezer part won't freeze anything & the fridge is not cold enough.

Then when occasionally they get Bangkok Belly they still fail to understand that an overcoat on the frg/frzr doesn't stop food deteriating.

I take it off and when my back is turned it is replaced.

Archived