Personal Trainers In Bangkok

PvtDick

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a personal trainer in Bangkok? I have tried getting in shape myself, and just don't have the discipline or knowledge to be successful. I'm getting ready to hit 40 and don't want to look like a shlub anymore.

Is that a gym?

What I'd like is a trainer who is not attached to a particular gym: one who will work with me on my schedule, for as long as I need, wherever I want (maybe in the gym in my condo, or at Lumpinee Park, or wherever).

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a personal trainer in Bangkok? I have tried getting in shape myself, and just don't have the discipline or knowledge to be successful. I'm getting ready to hit 40 and don't want to look like a shlub anymore.

What are you striving for - trim down or build muscles? You mentioned that you previously tried unsuccessfully to get in shape. Most people fail because they try to do too much of a good thing and eventually overtrain which burns them out physically and emotionally.

If you post the scheme you failed with and you goals I should be able to give you some clues. Have been continously working out for 19 years (since I was 24) and now at 43 sport a solid 95kgs on a 180 cm frame. My present (unorthodox) training regime after lots of trial and error experiences: One work out per week (Sunday morning) for about 1 hour (15 minutes weight lifting, 15 minutes stretching and 30 minutes stationery bike) that is all what it takes. The system is called HIT (high intensity training) or heavy duty training. There is absolutely no need to become a resident in a gym to get in shape. Unfortunaely, many personal trainers put their "victims" on a schedule consisting of too many and too frequent training sessions eventually resulting in a burn out and/or decreasing interest after a few months.

Despite the very short time input of the aforementioned program don't underestimate it. It's very demanding and does not allow you to catch breath or even watch the chicks in the gym while you are on. Wanna give it a shot anyway?

Thank you for your response.

My goal is not to become muscle-bound, but to lose 20 - 30 pounds and build some muscle definition. I have tried dieting, and a mix of aerobic and lifting a couple times at the gym...but my discipline is not what it should be, and I have never been able to keep it up. I need someone to drive me to help achieve my goals.

Thank you for your response.

My goal is not to become muscle-bound, but to lose 20 - 30 pounds and build some muscle definition. I have tried dieting, and a mix of aerobic and lifting a couple times at the gym...but my discipline is not what it should be, and I have never been able to keep it up. I need someone to drive me to help achieve my goals.

Okay, I think we can get you on the right track step by step.

First you have to understand how your body works and why it reacts in a certain (sometimes) unexpected way. Basically, achievements have to made gradually no peaks but no stagnation either. Crash procedures do not work on a long term and can even be counter-productive.

Well, let's start very soon and our goal will be to shed just one pound - two pounds per week but constantly. Not too much required just a little bit of discipline. Eating reasonable rather than dieting and hit the gym 1 or 2 times a week and we should be able to achieve the said goals.

As soon as I get a quiet minute lesson no. 1 will be posted. Maybe you should take a shot of yourself now and in about 3 months another one and post them when the mission has been accomplished. :o

Maybe you should take a shot of yourself now and in about 3 months another one and post them when the mission has been accomplished. :o

You've gotta be kidding!

Seriously, though, I do appreciate the advice. One thing I know I have to cut out is the three or four Cokes I drink a day.

Hi RH

The one day a week workout that you mention, surely its enough because you have been working out consistently for 19 years and the regime, is for you, a maintenance schedule? Your having reached your fitness goals already.

This is not a flame but a genuine inquiry, I am sat awaiting the posting of your workout details.

Can the age of the participant make a difference to the the advised schedule? i.e. poorer results as age increases or a required lower intensity level etc?

cheers,

dog

Hi RH

The one day a week workout that you mention,  surely its enough because you have been working out consistently for 19 years and the regime, is for you, a maintenance schedule? Your having reached your fitness goals already.

This is not a flame but a genuine inquiry, I am sat awaiting the posting of your workout details.

Can the age of the participant make a difference to the the advised schedule? i.e. poorer results as age increases or a required lower intensity level etc?

cheers,

dog

Dear ukdog,

please be patient it'll come and start out from the very beginning. Yes, it is the FINAL goal to just lift weight 15 minutes a week and not just maintaining your strength and muscle level but still making progress. We are talking natural training only without using any drugs.

If you are a beginner you most obviously should start out with two full body workouts to familiarize yourself with the proper techniques and learning how taking a set to real failure. Most trainees finish a set too early means if they REALLY push for it they can squeeze out another 2 or 3 reps with proper technique. A set, however, not taken to full failure is a wasted one in terms of muscle and strength building. Intensity is the name of the game.

Age is of minor importance and you can increase your strength and your muscle mass at any age. The body and nature are indeed very smart and adapt very quickly if probably triggered. Even if someone picks up weight lifting at the late age of 60 tremendous improvement can still be achieved.

The simple formula is if you don't use it you lose it means if you don't use your muscle and/or brain the abilities will decrease. Usually a human has his/her peak at the age of 25 and then the aging process starts already which includes losing muscle and strength if you DON'T compensate for this effect.

Last but not least always remember you do not build muscle in the gym but rather in the following resting period. Your activities in the gym just trigger the adaption to the newly occuring stress while the compensation (muscle/strength increase) actually happens while you sleep. Therefore if someone hits the gym six time a week that person constantly triggers muscle growth but never allows it to happen. The result is burn out, stagnation and in the worst case injury such as tearing a muscle.

The general rules hold true for anyone independent from the age.

Some individuals are genetically gifted and/or engage into drug taking and may get away to a certain extent with neglecting the rules but sooner or later the pay back will come. Our goal as an individual with average genetics is to outmax our potential in terms of natural strength, health and muscularity.

No, personally I have not reached my fitness goals yet and still try to improve with every single workout. Well, it is Sunday 12.00 h - time to hit the gym.

More to come whenever my time permits.

Cheers,

Richard

Maybe you should take a shot of yourself now and in about 3 months another one and post them when the mission has been accomplished.  :o

You've gotta be kidding!

Seriously, though, I do appreciate the advice. One thing I know I have to cut out is the three or four Cokes I drink a day.

Yep, just kidding although I can imagine that lots of formum members would get a kick out of the pics.

Cutting down on the Cokes is in any case a great step towards the right direction. Make it one regular Coke a day and replace the rest with the sugarfree ones (Diet Coke or Pepsi Max). Alternatively, you could also pour a cold soda (Singh or Chang) with some lemon juice squeezed in if you prefer the sparkle over regular water.

It may take a couple of times to get used to that but once fancied it will linger.

As far as training advice is concerned I'm going to start a new thread soonest.

Richard

Well guys, the first part of some training guidelines have been posted under a new thread. Hope they are going to be a bit of assistance to you to reach your own personal goals. More to come if of interest and how my time permits.

Good luck and who knows maybe one day we meet at the gym.

Richard