BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:11
THAIPHUKET

Longlevity of LED bulbs not so long

I have a range of brands and wattages of LEDS in the house and I am satisfied with them. But, there are five bulbs outside and none of them are long lasting. Sure, they're on for twelve hours a day but that's no excuse for burning out in four months. All of them are in enclosures and they all get extensive exposure to the sun. They seem to fail during the day when they're not in use, so it seems to me that they can't take the heat. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

LED bulbs you can pull apart and repair.

They are fairly simple, and the failed part is usually obvious.

Keep the broken ones, and cobble together new ones from the good parts.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

LED bulbs you can pull apart and repair.

They are fairly simple, and the failed part is usually obvious.

Keep the broken ones, and cobble together new ones from the good parts.

And yet they promise to last much longer than conventional bulbs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tebee said:

The Leds themselves are fairly reliable - the problem is they run at 1.5-3 volts DC. there is a lot of electronics to convert the 240v AC mains in the base of the bulb. Much of this has very fine wire which is susceptible to corrosion from condensation or sometimes bridging of the tracks of a circuit board fron the same source.

How well they parts are built and waterproofed will have a major effect on the life of any bulb used outside.

Humm, mostly for the less expensive ones they use a capacitive dropper power supply and have the component count reduced to the absolute minimum, so not so much in the way of electronics. 

It's  more likely that the components being run close the their maximum that's causing the failures.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

And yet they promise to last much longer than conventional bulbs.

I've had two last last than a year (one was a Panasonic), I think they overheat when in 'bulb' form, one fitted in a down-lighter, one in a conventional hanging fitting. The LED lights that replaced fluorescent rings have all lasted longer, much more space so run a lot cooler.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Just watched the strip down of an aircraft's reading light LED. The aluminium heat sink is as big as a fist. 95% the volume of the light.

• Like 1

Didn't have a broken LED yet. But if I compare the used ones with new ones of the same type the used ones are darker.