Does sundown ever change?

Hal65

Even as much as 10-20 minutes throughout the year?

I feel like night falls at 6:35 every night no matter summer or winter. I'm in Pattaya.

In the US you'd have sundown at 4:30pm and then 8:30pm in the winter.

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

Of course, that would depend on the latitude in which you are located. If you are in Anchorage, it's completely different. nThailand is nearly on the equator, so the spread time is much less.

Just past summer solstice. We are still in the N. Hemisphere, just.

Pattaya has nearly 13 hours from sunrise to sunset. Sunset at 6:45pm today.

Just before Christmas daylight will have shortened to 11h 20m with sundown just before 6pm.

Thailand has 2 time zones: In the sticks, at sunset everybody goes home. In Tourist-Hub's, at sunset, everybody goes out.
Unless working as an English-Teacher, that's the only measure of time that a Farang will ever need.
For sticklers: If the sun is right above you, it must be near noon.

All a case of how close you are to the equator.

Closer you are, the changes in tilt of the earth over the year, which determines how long you are at any given latitude exposed to the sun, has less visible effect

Live in Singapore which is almost bang smack on the equator and the change in length of the day is imperceptible.

To @Hal65 even in the US the length of the day varies greatly, between southern Florida and the Northern Plain States, without even getting to Northern Alaska where it's pretty much dark in the winter

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

We move the start of Hash House Harriers earlier by 1/2 half hour each year and then back to compensate for sunset.

12 degrees north here.

You're a Harrier. Good for you. I stopped when my knee became a big problem back in 2000. I miss the group. 

In the UK it varies from a sunset before 4 in the afternoon in the winter to a sunset close to 10 at night in the summer.

Of course there are parts of the world where the sun never sets for 6 months of the year but paid for in the other 6 months.

16 hours ago, swissie said:

Thailand has 2 time zones: In the sticks, at sunset everybody goes home. In Tourist-Hub's, at sunset, everybody goes out.
Unless working as an English-Teacher, that's the only measure of time that a Farang will ever need.
For sticklers: If the sun is right above you, it must be near noon.

Brilliant! Don't even need a sundial.

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

We move the start of Hash House Harriers earlier by 1/2 half hour each year and then back to compensate for sunset.

12 degrees north here.

But it has nothing to do with the running, just the need to get the drinking earlier.

On 6/23/2019 at 1:19 PM, Hal65 said:

Does sundown ever change?
Even as much as 10-20 minutes throughout the year?

Yes, but not much, about ½ hour or little more, depending of if you are north or south in Thailand.

In my home country it is much more, almost 7 hours.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, daveAustin said:

Geography not your strong point then op? Muse on the tilt of the earth and where the equator is at. :whistling:

Judging from the many street interviews of ignorant Americans available on YouTube, you may have a point here.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, Hal65 said:

It seems like you didn't visit too many places within the USA.

Do you also make statements like "all Asians do xyz" after you observed 5 people doing that in Pattaya?

Living in rural Thailand, and closer to nature, one really notices the seasonal changes and the length of the day.

The days now are as long as they will get, by January they be shorter by nearly 2 hours.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, daveAustin said:

Currently 04:50 up and 21:30 down in middle England. In winter, up (ish) at 12:00, down at 12:01. :tongue:

There was still light last night at 22.20 in Dublin... that’s one thing I don’t like about travel to Thailand or other Asian countries when it’s summer at home in the Northern Hemisphere. 

Archived