7/11 Staff Don't know Mastercard (but sticker on door says 'we accept')

Used my new Transferwise Mastercard in 7/11 about a dozen times now, also in Familymart and Tops once or twice now...mostly in Pattaya..no problems it goes through fine

I'm in Bangkok now.

Also the sticker on 7 Eleven door says Mastercard Ive seen it twice now

However the staff are very uneducated and they only seem to know Visa...after telling them its OK its accepted obviously it goes through fine... the annoying part is it stresses me and my wife out because we have to explain to them.  I had my Revolut Visa card on me but thats not the point I like using my Transferwise Mastercard, I've used it for McDelivery here and Tesco Lotus and the male delivery people never question anything, its just the female 7/11 staff

It's embaressing as well because all the people look at you like you're making problems and I'm the only Farrang in the hood

Small screenshot below to show it always processes fine at 7/11..its just the staff don't know:

image.png.3d59639d4d64d788d5313e0ff83ac24f.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Used my new Transferwise Mastercard in 7/11 about a dozen times now, also in Familymart and Tops once or twice now...mostly in Pattaya..no problems it goes through fine

I'm in Bangkok now.

Also the sticker on 7 Eleven door says Mastercard Ive seen it twice now

However the staff are very uneducated and they only seem to know Visa...after telling them its OK its accepted obviously it goes through fine... the annoying part is it stresses me and my wife out because we have to explain to them.  I had my Revolut Visa card on me but thats not the point I like using my Transferwise Mastercard, I've used it for McDelivery here and Tesco Lotus and the male delivery people never question anything, its just the female 7/11 staff

It's embaressing as well because all the people look at you like you're making problems and I'm the only Farrang in the hood

Small screenshot below to show it always processes fine at 7/11..its just the staff don't know:

image.png.3d59639d4d64d788d5313e0ff83ac24f.png
Revolut and transferwise...a smart man..:-)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Lenovo TB-X704F met Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Using a credit card in a 7/11? Bit odd.   No wonder they didn't know, probably never seen anyone paying for anything there with a credit card of any sort.  

Yes very Odd  considering there is a credit card terminal at every til in there and there are 4 tils...

Image result for credit card machine 

6 hours ago, robin33 said:

What are they? I have heard of VISA and Mastercard but not Revolut and transfer wise.

Revolut sounds like a good vodka ????

21 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Yes very Odd  considering there is a credit card terminal at every til in there and there are 4 tils...

Image result for credit card machine 

Certainly they will know how to deal with a Thai  bank debit card, which are the only cards I have ever seen used at such a device. 

12 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

What are they? I have heard of VISA and Mastercard but not Revolut and transfer wise.

Revolut sounds like a good vodka ????

Revolut is a phone App where you can convert any currency to THB and then pay with their Visa card without any fees that your traditional banks would charge

Most people on here know about Transferwise but they don't know you can now get a Transferwise Mastercard...no fees on card purchases and you can withdraw up 8000 baht at the ATM with no fees (accept the Thai fee)  Very convenient, you can sign up Here

Image result for transferwise debit card

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Certainly they will know how to deal with a Thai  bank debit card, which are the only cards I have ever seen used at such a device. 

And whats the difference between Thai bank cards and any other bank card...they all have Visa and Mastercard logos. Examples of Thai Mastercards:

Image result for krung thai mastercard

Image result for kasikorn mastercard

12 hours ago, richiejom said:

Revolut is a phone App where you can convert any currency to THB and then pay with their Visa card without any fees that your traditional banks would charge

Most people on here know about Transferwise but they don't know you can now get a Transferwise Mastercard...no fees on card purchases and you can withdraw up 8000 baht at the ATM with no fees (accept the Thai fee)  Very convenient, you can sign up Here

Monzo is another no fee Mastercard I own as well

Awesome, thanks for the info. I do live under a rock in a hard place so I miss things from time to time ????????

30 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

These are kids - dek sewen - on minimum wage, trying to pay their way through college for the most part. You expect training? Lighten up, this is Thailand.

I would lighten up if it was a one off but it gets annoying when it happens regularly and they give you a dirty look only for them to find out it works after they put it in

I can see your point though it is a developing country, to be fair they are starting to catch on with Visa..there was a stage where they'd look at you funny for even asking to use card when there is a terminal at every til

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Using a credit card in a 7/11? Bit odd.   No wonder they didn't know, probably never seen anyone paying for anything there with a credit card of any sort.  

Happens all the time.  Thais use theirs for even the smallest purchase.

You need to get out more!

5 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

Merchants don't like card payment because acquiring bank takes fee 3% for credit card procession. 7/11 is a franchise shop, and actual owner may not accept some form of payment

they shouldn't put the Mastercard sticker on the door then. They do accept it, its just the staff don't know

I tried to pay by a Thai-issued Amex card in Bangkok for a mobile phone at a shop that is named after a fruit. The sullen idiot behind the counter said they didn't take it, so I lifted up the cardboard display on his counter that said they did. So then he said their machine was broken, and I went away and bought the same item from someone who had a brain. A month later the shop was closed, probably because they didn't let anyone buy anything.

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Stick some cash in your pocket.

I would never bother using a credit/ debit card for purchases under 5.000 Bht except on line

That requires ATM trips with 220 baht fees or waiting for money to transfer to my Thai bank account. Why do that all the time when I can have the convenience of no fees and avoid transferring everything I own to a Thai bank

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I tried to pay by a Thai-issued Amex card in Bangkok for a mobile phone at a shop that is named after a fruit. The sullen idiot behind the counter said they didn't take it, so I lifted up the cardboard display on his counter that said they did. So then he said their machine was broken, and I went away and bought the same item from someone who had a brain. A month later the shop was closed, probably because they didn't let anyone buy anything.

I tried to pay by card at a small vendor in Tukcom as well, only a very small shop... they had the machine but it was switched off...by the time she had turned it on they obviously didn't use it a lot because it had an error when I tried to pay. (It was a Kasikorn one)

Makes you wonder why they bother if they can't train staff to charge them and whatnot, they must lose money from the rental fee of the card machine.

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

they shouldn't put the Mastercard sticker on the door then. They do accept it, its just the staff don't know

7-11 are to blame 100%. They should train their workers how to use the till before they are allowed to operate it.

8 hours ago, robin33 said:

Yes certainly, I have them both and work a treat both in shops and for transferring money to Bkk Bank.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

You cannot have been in many then. Many Thais use them these days.

Just now, wgdanson said:

Yes certainly, I have them both and work a treat both in shops and for transferring money to Bkk Bank.

I'm glad more people are getting the card it is a great benefit to us farrang and we should inform each other.  I've used them to pay for McDonalds, Tescos, Familymart and others and keep it in a plastic folder to protect it

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

You cannot have been in many then. Many Thais use them these days.

Have you got Monzo yet?  I just got it but haven't tried it, it says zero fees abroad, the only difference is it only displays your balance in pounds

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

Iand they give you a dirty look only for them to find out it works after they put it in

Ah yes. The infamous and mostly imaginary  "dirty look" that causes Khun  Farang such anguish and seems to be a part of so many tales of devastating woe chronicled by posters here. 

Take a deep breath and remind yourself that your mother probably loves/loved you even while you were whining about something.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A bit unrelated, but Amex does suck though. Because of the high fees many shops don't accept Amex. Can't buy plane tickets for some airlines (e.g. Bangkok Airways) with Amex card either (when using their company website). I have Amex & MasterCard.

I got an Amex card because my airline provides some frequent flyer points when paying through their Amex card, allowing me to occasionally fly "for free".

I will be happy to switch to the AppleCard (also a MasterCard) in the near future. The cash back is just as good as frequent flyer points imo.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

all the 7/11 s i use have card reader machines by the tills

Archived