7/11 Staff Don't know Mastercard (but sticker on door says 'we accept')

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Using a credit card in a 7/11? Bit odd.   No wonder they didn't know, probably never seen anyone paying for anything there with a credit card of any sort.  

Very common to use credit card, wanting to collect points/rebates. We do it each time we purchase anything at 7/11.

7 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I would have politely pointed to the "Mastercard" sign on the door and if they still refused, I would have walked out leaving the goods on their counter! I bet they would have known about the Chinese "Union Pay"!

That's because you've misspelt it It's called Useless Pay - as no one wants to accept it in Thailand. It's as difficult as pushing string uphill.

6 hours ago, richiejom said:

I would lighten up if it was a one off but it gets annoying when it happens regularly and they give you a dirty look only for them to find out it works after they put it in

I can see your point though it is a developing country, to be fair they are starting to catch on with Visa..there was a stage where they'd look at you funny for even asking to use card when there is a terminal at every til

The 7/11s around my central BKK neighborhood started accepting one or the other of the Visa or MC cards for purchases about a year ago, and AFAIR, they have a 300 baht minimum purchase in order to pay by card.

Their card terminals will work with either debit or credit cards of the VISA or MC variety, whichever they're accepting, supposedly, regardless of whether it's from a Thai bank or foreign bank.

But at least in the world of Thai 7/11s, it seems like it's still a pretty new thing and probably not used much by the locals. Probably for the main reason including, a lot of their individual purchases probably aren't over the 300b requirement.

I always use my card in big c and tesco especially handy with contactless and anything under 1500 baht you don't need to sign or pin so it's faster than paying with cash and having more coins in my back of pocket . Not sure why someone is knocking the OP for using card. It's more convenient for foreigners as explained with 0% transactions fees and using MasterCard exchange rate . 

You shouldn't go to China you wouldn't be able to handle everyone buying everything with their smart phones, cash is pretty much scarcely seen out. Alipay, WeChat pay everywhere even some old lady vendor selling fruit out of her tuk tuk will prefer to take payments from your smartphone rather than recieving cash . 

The times are moving on and soon more and more will be rabbit pay and other payment provides ,give it a year or 2 and everyone will be paying on their phones and cards for everything in Thailand and cash won't be seen as much. 

4 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

The times are moving on and soon more and more will be rabbit pay and other payment provides ,give it a year or 2 and everyone will be paying on their phones and cards for everything in Thailand and cash won't be seen as much. 

Not sure about that future for TH.... Cash is harder to track and trace. Electronic payments are easier to track and trace, especially for snoopy governments. The government may want to move in that direction. But the common Thai small business guy/gal probably prefers to stick with cash as much as possible.

15 hours ago, richiejom said:

... It's embaressing as well because all the people look at you like you're making problems and I'm the only Farrang in the hood

Well if that bothers you, stop trying to make a 'point' and use your VISA Revolut card when dealing with female 7-eleven staff.

Better still, PAY CASH. It's a convenience store after all so stop being inconvenient.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Well if that bothers you, stop trying to make a 'point' and use your VISA Revolut card when dealing with female 7-eleven staff.

Better still, PAY CASH. It's a convenience store after all so stop being inconvenient.

crazy..if they didn't want you to pay card they wouldn't have card readers(which they pay rental on) ...debit cards are the definition of convenience thats why the rest of the world is moving fully towards them.(They combat store robberies and mean people don't have to visit the ATM)

Where or how did I say I was making a point? I wasn't, I had already used my Revolut Visa twice that day and wanted to use my Mastercard as I am entitled to do because the shop said 'We accept Mastercard' and it did work after she got on with

12 hours ago, richiejom said:

get a Transferwise Mastercard...no fees on card purchases

You pay fees whenever currency conversion is done, whether automatically or manually. GBP to THB at TW is currently charged at ~0.64%, which is pretty high!

Get a card that uses the card provider (visa/mastercard) rates for conversion and has no other fees (e.g. Starling or N26 or Monzo). You'd be better off.

5 hours ago, moana said:

You pay fees whenever currency conversion is done, whether automatically or manually. GBP to THB at TW is currently charged at ~0.64%, which is pretty high!

Get a card that uses the card provider (visa/mastercard) rates for conversion and has no other fees (e.g. Starling or N26 or Monzo). You'd be better off.

I have Monzo already but you can't keep baht on it only pounds so theres room to get stung if the card machine provider chooses to charge in your local currency(I haven't tested it yet)... sometimes the ATMs ask you this always choose no (select charge in baht for Transferwise at least)

say I only want a small amount of baht on my Transferwise for groceries (eg 3000) the fee is very low,  something like 5 baht and absolutely no fee after that

1 minute ago, richiejom said:

I have Monzo already but you can't keep baht on it only pounds so theres room to get stung if the card machine provider chooses to charge in your local currency(I haven't tested it yet)...

A machine can't just choose to charge you in a different currency. Visa/mastercard rules say they M-U-S-T ask you explicitly before doing anything of the sort. Any machine/person/establishment that charges you in a non-local currency without asking you is breaking a contract and will get into huge trouble if it is reported. I've had it happen in Tesco before (the cashiers don't want or can't present the question, so they choose a random button), and the management went out of their way to fix it.

Use your Monzo card, it'll save you money over the TW card.

5 hours ago, moana said:

A machine can't just choose to charge you in a different currency. Visa/mastercard rules say they M-U-S-T ask you explicitly before doing anything of the sort. Any machine/person/establishment that charges you in a non-local currency without asking you is breaking a contract and will get into huge trouble if it is reported. I've had it happen in Tesco before (the cashiers don't want or can't present the question, so they choose a random button), and the management went out of their way to fix it.

Use your Monzo card, it'll save you money over the TW card.

Yes you're right, I know the ATMs ask you...I mean with staff over here they may think they've got your consent or mix up in communication..perhaps management encourage staff to do it etc. 

I will try my Monzo card soon(I have it here) but I have the benefit of Transferwise, Revolut and Monzo for 26K baht in total fee free ATM withdrawals a month.  Downside of Monzo and Revolut is its all done by App...nothing on Laptop

19 minutes ago, richiejom said:

I mean with staff over here they may think they've got your consent or mix up in communication

Ever since the first mix-up, whenever I hand over a card, I say in Thai "Pay with Thai baht, OK?" and I won't let go of the card until they acknowledge or ask for clarification. Haven't had a problem since. However, I do get weird looks when the machine doesn't have any other option except baht ????

Since you mentioned it... It's worth noting that Revolut is even worse than TW. They consider THB an "illiquid currency", so any conversion is charged at 1% (!!!). Additionally, any "illiquid" conversions taking place over the weekend are charged another 1%. So if you happen to be using your Revolut card to withdraw/pay with THB on a Saturday via automatic conversion you'll be paying a whopping 2% before any other potential fees.

BTW, N26 also has traditional online banking via their website, if you don't like apps.

12 minutes ago, moana said:

Ever since the first mix-up, whenever I hand over a card, I say in Thai "Pay with Thai baht, OK?" and I won't let go of the card until they acknowledge or ask for clarification. Haven't had a problem since. However, I do get weird looks when the machine doesn't have any other option except baht ????

Since you mentioned it... It's worth noting that Revolut is even worse than TW. They consider THB an "illiquid currency", so any conversion is charged at 1% (!!!). Additionally, any "illiquid" conversions taking place over the weekend are charged another 1%. So if you happen to be using your Revolut card to withdraw/pay with THB on a Saturday via automatic conversion you'll be paying a whopping 2% before any other potential fees.

BTW, N26 also has traditional online banking via their website, if you don't like apps.

I heard Revolut was bad on Saturdays but Ive only used it twice so far... I put 45 quid on it yesterday and the conversion looked the same as on Google which is better than the banks.  Didn't notice any big charges will look into the transactions when I get chance

I haven't seen them mentioned yet but starling are a good option too for UK users . 0% on card purchases, free unlimited ATM withdrawals a month 0% limit £300 per day, MasterCard exchange rate. Good savings interest rate , fscs protection (deposits secure up to £85k) 

Much better option than revolut as mentioned above about the extra fees when dealing with THB

Just now, hello55060 said:

I haven't seen them mentioned yet but starling are a good option too for UK users . 0% on card purchases, unlimited ATM withdrawals a month 0% limit £300 per day, MasterCard exchange rate 

Much better option than revolut as mentioned above about the extra fees when dealing with THB

I tried opening a Starling account from in Thailand but they won't let me submit the documents under Thai IP address, so it looks like if you want Starling you have to do it before you leave 

3 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

I haven't seen them mentioned yet but starling

Actually mentioned a few messages back:

1 hour ago, moana said:

A good option indeed.

1 minute ago, moana said:

Actually mentioned a few messages back:

A good option indeed.

Starling blocks you from setting up your account if you're in Thailand...'your location is currently not available' even if you intend to get it forwarded from your Farrang address

Just now, richiejom said:

I tried a phone VPN didn't work either

Just try a bunch, you only need one working one to get the job done.

You can also set one up yourself if you're technically inclined and then it's almost guaranteed success.

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Using a credit card in a 7/11? Bit odd.   No wonder they didn't know, probably never seen anyone paying for anything there with a credit card of any sort.  

For your info: I have noticed now at new 7/11's attached to PTT servos, that each teller has a ATM card reader for the use of all cards. Thais are a bit slow with technology, however, eventually you will see more and more Thais using a ATM card of some description as many businesses will start to install card machines. I use a debit card all the time here as it is more convenient that carrying large sums of cash with me.

they shouldn't put the Mastercard sticker on the door then. They do accept it, its just the staff don't know

richiejom,

If I have a USD account in Cambodia, where I get interest credited every month.

Would Revolut or Transferwise work AS A SUITABLE OPTION to save me fees if I withdraw in Thailand?...... or do they only deal with major countries and economies for this service?

I get whacked for fees every month withdrawing in Thailand by both countries. I get a lousy rate of exchange and charged a commission at both ends.

46 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

richiejom,

If I have a USD account in Cambodia, where I get interest credited every month.

Would Revolut or Transferwise work AS A SUITABLE OPTION to save me fees if I withdraw in Thailand?...... or do they only deal with major countries and economies for this service?

I get whacked for fees every month withdrawing in Thailand by both countries. I get a lousy rate of exchange and charged a commission at both ends.

If I understand correctly what you are saying, what you could be able to do is instead of withdraw at the ATM in Thailand from your Cambodia USD account try to link the Cambodia account to Transferwise and send the money from that account to Transferwise. Do they allow you to send out?

You'd have to see if TW allow Cambodia accounts to be added or use you Cambodia debit card to fund Transferwise...do they give you a debit card that can be used online?

There are numerous US credit cards that have no foreign transaction fees, convert at the Visa/MC rate, and one earns a minimum of 1-2% back.

Seems a better deal than anything mentioned, at least for US citizens.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

There are numerous US credit cards that have no foreign transaction fees, convert at the Visa/MC rate, and one earns a minimum of 1-2% back.

Seems a better deal than anything mentioned, at least for US citizens.

Transferwise Borderless account lets other nationalities have a virtual US bank account so they can get paid in $ as well as have foreign fee free transaction Mastercard so it serves multiple functions

Plus if you are a U.S citizen (or any other nationality) you can transfer funds to your Thai bank from you account as well

If I understand correctly what you are saying, what you could be able to do is instead of withdraw at the ATM in Thailand from your Cambodia USD account try to link the Cambodia account to Transferwise and send the money from that account to Transferwise. Do they allow you to send out?

You'd have to see if TW allow Cambodia accounts to be added or use you Cambodia debit card to fund Transferwise...do they give you a debit card that can be used online?

Hi,

They have given me a debit card but I have never used it online. I will check if they allow me to send out. Up to now, I have used the card purely as an ATM. The reason for this is living in ThaIland, so use my Thai cards.

I think I can get authorization to use it online because it is also an embossed card with a VISA logo. I am with one of the biggest banks down there, Canadia bank.

I am also entitled to a credit card but never asked for one as I have always used my Thai credit card.

Archived