Trump - naming Sessions U.S. attorney general was 'biggest mistake'

webfact

Trump - naming Sessions U.S. attorney general was 'biggest mistake'

2019-06-23T183845Z_1_LYNXNPEF5M0T0_RTROPTP_4_MIDEAST-IRAN-USA-THREAT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump listens to questions from reporters during a meeting with Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., June 20, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that if he could have one "do-over," it would be "personnel" decisions, including naming former Senator Jeff Sessions as his first U.S. attorney general.

"I would say if I had one do over, it would be, I would not have appointed Jeff Sessions to be attorney general ... That was the biggest mistake," Trump said in an interview aired on Sunday with NBC's 'Meet the Press' programme.

After almost three years of investigations, Trump's presidency is still clouded by questions surrounding Russian interference to boost his candidacy in the 2016 U.S. elections and his subsequent efforts to impede inquiries into the matter.

Sessions, formerly a Republican senator from Alabama, was one of the earliest Trump administration casualties of the Russian election meddling scandal, which continues to be investigated by committees of the U.S. Congress.

In February 2016, Sessions became the first serving senator to endorse Trump when the New York reality TV star and real estate developer was still a presidential candidate.

Russian intelligence organizations a month later began a cyber campaign aimed at interfering with the 2016 presidential election, according to U.S. intelligence agencies.

During the campaign, Sessions, a close Trump adviser, met with Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak. Several others in Trump's inner circle met with Russians during this period, too.

In late July 2016, the FBI began investigating Russian meddling in the election.

After Trump's stunning election victory, Sessions was rewarded for his loyalty by being nominated as the top U.S. law enforcement official and head of the Justice Department.

In January 2017 in Senate confirmation hearings, Sessions said that during the campaign he had no communication with Russians. A month later, he was confirmed as attorney general.

Only two months afterward Sessions' campaign ties to Kislyak were reported. Democrats accused him of lying to Congress.

In March 2017, Sessions recused himself from the ongoing investigation into Russian interference in the elections, infuriating Trump, who thereafter frequently attacked Sessions.

In May 2017, Special Counsel Robert Mueller was appointed to take over the Russia probe from the FBI.

In November 2018, after months of being publicly ridiculed by Trump, Sessions resigned. He was replaced briefly by Matthew Whitaker until William Barr was confirmed to the job of attorney general. On Barr, Trump said, "He's brought sanity back."

Mueller's 448-page final report, released in mid-April, found insufficient evidence to establish that the Trump campaign engaged in a criminal conspiracy with Moscow, despite numerous contacts between the campaign and Russia.

The report also described attempts by Trump to impede Mueller's investigation, but stopped short of declaring that he committed a crime.

Asked on Sunday if he had read the Mueller report, Trump said, "I read much of it ... I read the conclusion." He again called the allegations that his campaign worked with the Kremlin "a hoax."

Trump told NBC: "I'll be honest with you, nobody even mentions Russia anymore since the Mueller report."

(Reporting by Kevin Drawbaugh; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-24

The only reason Trump feels Sessions was a mistake is because Sessions did not protect him. To be in Trumps good books, one must "fall in line".

Trump gets himself into these piles of manure and then expects others, at the risk of their reputation, to protect him. Many have, but their day of reckoning will come.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that if he could have one "do-over," it would be "personnel" decisions, including naming former Senator Jeff Sessions as his first U.S. attorney general.

Yes, but of course! It must be terrible for him to have somebody doing his work without bowing to his puppet master.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

That was the biggest mistake," Trump said

What?

Bigger than going into a second round of talks with North Korea with no plan for a deal in place?

Bigger than separating and incarcerating refugee children from their parents?

Bigger than cancelling the Iranian nuclear deal, with no alternative in plan, thus leading to the current tensions in the region?

I could go on, but three is enough. 

For now...

56 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What?

Bigger than going into a second round of talks with North Korea with no plan for a deal in place?

Bigger than separating and incarcerating refugee children from their parents?

Bigger than cancelling the Iranian nuclear deal, with no alternative in plan, thus leading to the current tensions in the region?

I could go on, but three is enough. 

For now...

Major mistake was alienating his allies worldwide when starting a trade war. Ranks way above North Korea IMO.

31 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Major mistake was alienating his allies worldwide when starting a trade war. Ranks way above North Korea IMO.

I did say I could go on

Health care

Giving succor to white supremacists

Behaviour and petulant reaction to criticism over Puerto Rico floods 

It's his "biggest mistake" in the sense that all the other stuff (listed on several previous posts) is happening to other people, often foreigners. Sessions was more to do with investigations which may directly effect Trump. And I think we've all learned by now, that for Trump, the Trump isn't the most important thing, it's the only thing.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, Tug said:

As much as I dislike sessions he had integrity perhaps that’s why donald dislikes him so much he wasent a groveling tody 

:cheesy:

If he had integrity he would have resigned rather than stay on and recuse himself.

The little <deleted> deserved every thing Trump said about him.

BTW, I've been saying on here for a very long time that he was a waste of space and Trump should have fired him the day he recused himself.

18 hours ago, phycokiller said:

if trump hadnt broken the law then sessions recusing himself wouldnt have been an issue

Even Mueller, after 2 years of investigating at a cost of millions of dollars couldn't say that Trump had broken the law.

Perhaps you can provide some proof of your assertion?

Naming Sessions was a mistake. But, an even bigger mistake has been naming Barr. He is a hack, a sycophant, and is totally compromised both morally and ethically. Now that I think about it naming Sanders, Kutcher, Conway, Flynn, Ross, Mnuchin, Carson, Mattis, Pruitt, Zinke, Kelly, Jackson, Acosta, Scaramucci, Walsh (there for only 69 days!) Chao, Haley, Whitaker, Shanahan, DeVos, Nielsen, Bannon, Gorka, Price, Priebus, Shulkin and Spicer were pretty big mistakes too.

Suffice it to say, this has been the most chaotic, incompetent, feckless, shortest lived, and horrendous, of all administrations in US history. And to think that Trump promised to hire talent, during the campaign. Another broken promise. Lie number 4,985. He never meant it. He deliberately seeks out mediocrity. He is a bottom of the barrel sort of guy. He cannot attract talent, and he certainly cannot keep talent. 

The real tragedy of Trump, is that he is such a terrible boss, that few want to work for him, and those that do make the regrettable decision of working for him, soon realize what a mistake it was, and frequently decide they do not want to be a member of the circus. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Naming Sessions was a mistake. But, an even bigger mistake has been naming Barr. He is a hack, a sycophant, and is totally compromised both morally and ethically. Now that I think about it naming Sanders, Kutcher, Conway, Flynn, Ross, Mnuchin, Carson, Mattis, Pruitt, Zinke, Kelly, Jackson, Acosta, Scaramucci, Walsh (there for only 69 days!) Chao, Haley, Whitaker, Shanahan, DeVos, Nielsen, Bannon, Gorka, Price, Priebus, Shulkin and Spicer were pretty big mistakes too.

Suffice it to say, this has been the most chaotic, incompetent, feckless, shortest lived, and horrendous, of all administrations in US history. And to think that Trump promised to hire talent, during the campaign. Another broken promise. Lie number 4,985. He never meant it. He deliberately seeks out mediocrity. He is a bottom of the barrel sort of guy. He cannot attract talent, and he certainly cannot keep talent. 

The real tragedy of Trump, is that he is such a terrible boss, that few want to work for him, and those that do make the regrettable decision of working for him, soon realize what a mistake it was, and frequently decide they do not want to be a member of the circus. 

The real tragedy of Trump, is that he is such a terrible boss, that few want to work for him

His ex butler would disagree with you. I saw an interview with him on tv. However, he is exacting, though that is not necessarily a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The real tragedy of Trump, is that he is such a terrible boss, that few want to work for him

His ex butler would disagree with you. I saw an interview with him on tv. However, he is exacting, though that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Which is why so many posts in the cabinet are unfilled. Because the best people are clamoring to work for him?

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A hired hack no doubt. His ex driver says the opposite. Two years of overtime wages due? How petty of Trump. Anything for a buck. Anything goes when it comes to amassing or keeping his money. 

Noel Cintron, the chauffeur for Trump and his family for more than 25 years, alleged in a lawsuit filed Monday that Trump failed to give him required overtime pay and raised his salary only twice since 2003, when he was paid $62,700. His salary was raised to $68,000 in 2006. 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even Mueller, after 2 years of investigating at a cost of millions of dollars couldn't say that Trump had broken the law.

Not exactly.  Mueller knew he wouldn't be able to do that on day one.  It took two years of investigating to come to the conclusion that Trump couldn't be cleared.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you can provide some proof of your assertion?

Im not sure mueller said that but I think the issue is he has repeatedly lied to the american public. may not be illegal if hes not under oath but its obvious hes doing it to try and hide illegal activities

Trump hasn’t read 448 pages of anything in his life, except maybe Playboy.

I don’t mean to sound like Jay Leno but I’m sure he’s read more than that in business classes, college, or whatever.

I haven’t drank the Trump cool aid trust me I haven’t but if I said something like that about a European or an Australian Leader I’d get the boot. Even though the Australian Dollar isn’t worth much these days.

Trump hasn’t read 448 pages of anything in his life, except maybe Playboy.

Oh and no one actually reads Playboy. Nowadays no one even buys Playboy magazines anymore that’s archaic. People who buy Playboy magazines are jerking it like Pilgrims. That’s why God or maybe the devil created computers and smartphones [emoji23]

Archived