Thais rip into "5,000 baht for a tourist's life" check presentation

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, khunJeroen said:

Why as a relative of the victim would you lend yourself for such a 'promotional' photo. 

They are often sprung on the relatives as they attend the police station. Read about the press conference that the family of the English girl murdered in Koh Tao. They were told to wait in a room only to discover it was full of press photographers.

The press pay the police to give them juicy photo ops. However it is unlikely the press paid for this one.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

and the Arab rider ?

what happened to him ?

why is he not paying up ?

Do you think that he is still in the country? I doubt it.

Anyway, the Thai owner of the bike should have full insurance for it, and the insurance should pay for any third party losses. Will that happen? I doubt it.

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

many thais complained but my bet is a lot of thais think that is about what a farang life is worth, hence the amount

Pity they did not give him a cheque as opposed to a check, but they seem to teach 'Americanish' here and not English anyway!! 555

"A man on “big bike” strikes and kills a Russian Tourist on Thappraya Road.

At 1:00 AM this morning a man with no identification but believed to be in his early twenties struck and killed a 37-year-old Russian Tourist on Thrappraya Road near the underpass to Pattaya while she was trying to cross the street.

Witnesses stated the driver of the 650CC bike was driving at high speed when 37-year-old Anna Kisna was struck trying to cross the street. The man’s bike then crashed into a parked car nearby. He was wearing a helmet.

Medics at the scene did all they could to save Ms. Kisna, who was here on vacation with friends, but she passed away at the hospital.

The unidentified driver suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and is now at a local hospital where police will attempt to identify and interview him after he has significantly recovered."

5 hours ago, Bipolar said:

The key thing is that why would anybody with any self-respect wanna accept Bt 5,000 baht after a relative has died and worst even pose for such pictures??????

had it been a relative or friend of mine i would have told them very clearly where to put the 5000 baht

that amount, 5000 baht would be fine as a nightly walking street lottery lucky number draw but not to relay condolences 

What the police in Thailand are doing seems more and more an awesome demonstration of their incapacity!
Millions of baht are spent on cars and motorcycles, appeased by the heroic adventures of some single officer, but they don't do what they really should do, control traffic, capture the real criminals, not just some over-stay and now this farce!

For those people to be standing there, with a smile on their faces, says it all. Death is just not taken that seriously here. Especially the death of a foreigner. $165? Really?

50,000 or 500,000 baht maybe. But 5,000? That is substantially worse than nothing. 

Hopefully this is only a small gesture to the family of 

the deceased and the Kuwaiti national, part of a gang

of ten Arabs on motorcycles racing around Pattaya,

should compensate the family fully.

The police should also be charging him with

manslaughter.

Here's the article of what happened:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1106802-video-russian-tourist-dies-after-late-night-smash-with-gang-of-ten-arab-motorcycles/

Absolutely Unbelievable !

Instead of deporting and banning the arab gangs that race the streets for years now:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/990841-troops-police-warn-arab-road-racers-in-pattaya/

They hand out this Pathetic sum as compensations ??!!

Its like getting your loved one killed and then receiving a spit in your face with a smile.

I hope all the world would see what a life of a farang worth here !

????????????

Pathetic show of not only poor taste by the Police Officer/Station, but for all of Thailand.

500,000 baht would be much more consoling. After all isn't a minimum in most Thai insurance policies for victims around 1,000,000 baht? Whoever that young lady is receiving the presented paltry gift should have refused to accept or participate in such a inappropriate photo opp with these people!!

disgusting and backwards a complete disgrace why isn't it ever on the world stage - they should make a mockery and run with it

They think all about 'saving face' here

What a disgusting people in charge really absolutely shameful they should be unable to look themself in the mirror. They spend more on face creams and to look like a white person.

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The media said on Facebook that the money - about US 165 dollars - is to help the victim's relatives cope. 

That will help them a lot. Three bottles of good vodka will do the trick. 

Cold, bro. Cold.

Real question. I try google but can not find it.

If a foreigner tourist kills another foreigner tourist in US or Europe, how much do the police give to help?

And how much the foreigner have to give the dead foreigner family?

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

If a foreigner tourist kills another foreigner tourist in US or Europe, how much do the police give to help? And how much the foreigner have to give the dead foreigner family?

Why not check the whole Amanda Knox saga?

6 hours ago, Bipolar said:

The key thing is that why would anybody with any self-respect wanna accept Bt 5,000 baht after a relative has died and worst even pose for such pictures??????

The young lady probably needs a new cell phone.  That amount might buy her a decent one.

8 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

That is one of the strangest photos I have ever seen. 

Everytime i read the news, the word "bizarre" keeps forming in my mind, but never more so than when I looked at the photo. 

34 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Real question. I try google but can not find it.

If a foreigner tourist kills another foreigner tourist in US or Europe, how much do the police give to help?

And how much the foreigner have to give the dead foreigner family?

If its Britain and someone is killed on the roads regardless of where they come from the police will carry out a comprehensive investigation quite often closing the road for however long it takes to gather their evidence .. If the cause of the accident is deemed to be criminal especially if drink , drugs or using a mobile are involved then the driver will end up in court on criminal charges .. Causing death by dangerous driving at the moment carries a maximum 14 yr jail sentence but many road safety campaigners want it increased to a mandatory life sentence .. 

Compensation for the family of folk killed or people seriously injured is usually sorted out by the insurance companies .. in the case of uninsured drivers the Insurance industry still pay out from a fund that all insurance companies contribute to but that takes longer .. 

Is anyone seriously suprised?

Everyone knows the terms "Big money" and "nid-noi" are interchangeable for Thais

when it suits them.

Give your Gf a free 5,000baht for monthly expenses...its "nid-noi"

They get overcharged 40baht on a restaurant bill and they are going off their noggin!

Archived