Thais rip into "5,000 baht for a tourist's life" check presentation

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things like this make me wish the US, Russia, China and several other major countries would slap serious economic sanctions on Thailand and let them see just how much they need the rest of the world considering how out of the way Thailand goes to disrespect it.  

What is going on in their heads, all smiles while a family have lost their daughter. They well and truly want to discourage all western people from travelling to Thailand, once this insult hits the Russian news I don't suspect many will want to travel to this zoo!

5 minutes ago, GreenerGrass said:

What is going on in their heads, all smiles while a family have lost their daughter. They well and truly want to discourage all western people from travelling to Thailand, once this insult hits the Russian news I don't suspect many will want to travel to this zoo!

Zoo??!! You are being too kind. This place is a lawless JUNGLE !

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Better to do nothing than stage this macabre attempt and cheap shot at some publicity.

Don't they realize this paltry amount and all the happy grinning faces will backfire on them.

That’s just the point - they really are too dim to understand such basics. There’s definitely a thick gene.

It’s BS window covering to support the narrative of Thailand being tourist friendly.  The only thing that would have satisfied me, were it my family member, would be the naked, bound and gagged body of the Arab motorcycle diver, a fully charged car battery with cables, an assortment of dental/surgical instruments and use of a quiet room for 3 or 4 hours.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

These big rental bikes in Pattaya are mostly owned by cops so nothing to do with any "poor Thais."

Bikes. Grrrr. 

Had a senior German chap in klang yesterday morning asking the where abouts of a hotel. No English. 

He had rented a brand new bike at the hotel and took off for a morning ride.

Completely lost. 

No idea how to get the bike started. Automatic. 

All he had was a plastic card with the South pattaya address on it.

And a brand new 125 bike. 

My few words of German and my partner's thai pointed him in the right direction..

Its down right scary the lack of responsibility attached to the bike rental here..

25 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

It’s BS window covering to support the narrative of Thailand being tourist friendly.  The only thing that would have satisfied me, were it my family member, would be the naked, bound and gagged body of the Arab motorcycle diver, a fully charged car battery with cables, an assortment of dental/surgical instruments and use of a quiet room for 3 or 4 hours.

Welcome Hannibal

A little Chianti ??

10 hours ago, BestB said:

Police did not have to help with anything   Nice of them that they did, however there was no need for the photo as amount is hardly worth celebrating or publicising. 

The police did not help with anything!  A foundation that didn't have to assist and that has limited ability to assist did, though.

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

If its Britain and someone is killed on the roads regardless of where they come from the police will carry out a comprehensive investigation quite often closing the road for however long it takes to gather their evidence .. If the cause of the accident is deemed to be criminal especially if drink , drugs or using a mobile are involved then the driver will end up in court on criminal charges .. Causing death by dangerous driving at the moment carries a maximum 14 yr jail sentence but many road safety campaigners want it increased to a mandatory life sentence .. 

Compensation for the family of folk killed or people seriously injured is usually sorted out by the insurance companies .. in the case of uninsured drivers the Insurance industry still pay out from a fund that all insurance companies contribute to but that takes longer .. 

Insurance pay. Ok

The police give any? The killer give any?

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Whoever came up with the idea that 5,000 Baht would help the family cope should be sacked. That is just an insult.

It's not an insult, you need to research the foundation before calling for anyone to be sacked.

10 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Better to do nothing than stage this macabre attempt and cheap shot at some publicity.

Don't they realize this paltry amount and all the happy grinning faces will backfire on them.

Better to check what the Tourists Assistance Foundation is there for and what it can do.

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Whilst there is a lot of angst about this one, I can think that a small gesture from the TAT is a nice thought, but what is the point in giving a cheque to the family of a tourist. Can they cash it without a bank account?

Nothing to do with the TAT.

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Real question. I try google but can not find it.

If a foreigner tourist kills another foreigner tourist in US or Europe, how much do the police give to help?

And how much the foreigner have to give the dead foreigner family?

Yinn, the police did not give anything to help in this case either.

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Insurance pay. Ok

The police give any? The killer give any?

No the police dont offer money in this sort of case and I think if the Insurance companies involved sort it out between them then that's usually the end of it as far as compensation goes .. 

11 hours ago, Bipolar said:

The key thing is that why would anybody with any self-respect wanna accept Bt 5,000 baht after a relative has died and worst even pose for such pictures??????

They are Russians , salaries over there are almost same as in Thailand. I agree it's a ridicilous amount, but for a Russian 5000 baht is probably a week salary.

Anyway this got nothing to do with with compensation, it's just symbolic, the photo shoot is in very bad taste, but typical Thailand, they can't help themselves....

If its Britain and someone is killed on the roads regardless of where they come from the police will carry out a comprehensive investigation quite often closing the road for however long it takes to gather their evidence .. If the cause of the accident is deemed to be criminal especially if drink , drugs or using a mobile are involved then the driver will end up in court on criminal charges .. Causing death by dangerous driving at the moment carries a maximum 14 yr jail sentence but many road safety campaigners want it increased to a mandatory life sentence .. 
Compensation for the family of folk killed or people seriously injured is usually sorted out by the insurance companies .. in the case of uninsured drivers the Insurance industry still pay out from a fund that all insurance companies contribute to but that takes longer .. 

And never ever have I seen a photo op like this ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The police did not help with anything!  A foundation that didn't have to assist and that has limited ability to assist did, though.

So what was the purpose of the publicity photograph with the oversized cheque being given to the grieving relatives?

If they had privately given her 5000 baht that would have been fine.

35 minutes ago, nkg said:

So what was the purpose of the publicity photograph with the oversized cheque being given to the grieving relatives?

If they had privately given her 5000 baht that would have been fine.

Perhaps, as the foundation works with other charities, it was for publicity to show who they assist and to attract donations to help others?  Is there something wrong with that from a non-profit making foundation?  Jesus...

Archived