New smoking at home law: "It's not a ban we are protecting the kids", top official

webfact

New smoking at home law: "It's not a ban we are protecting the kids", top official

2pm.jpg
Picture: Sanook

A leading Thai official has hit back at claims on social media that a new law is designed to stop people smoking in their own homes. 

There was a massive backlash from both smokers and non-smokers alike after the law was announced. 

Lertpanya Buranabanthit - the leader of the Department of Women's Affairs and Family Development - said the law does not seek to ban smoking at home. 

It has been brought in to protect children and other vulnerable people from the negative health effects of second hand smoke. 

The law is set to be enforced in Thailand from August 20th this year. 

Thaivisa notes that posters all over Thai and English language social media slammed the new law as an attack on civil liberties. Only a small proportion of people online recognized that its aim was to protect the vulnerable - especially children.

Source: Sanook

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

It has been brought in to protect children

If protecting kids is your aim than you have started at the wrong end Sir... start at kids being sent and picked up from schools 4-5 kids on a motorcycle not wearing helmets, or their junk food and sugary drinks they digest at schools, or of the rampanant school fighting, kids smoking and using drugs, kids who are used and employed illegally or deprived of their human rights and list goes on and on...

Simple education and Tv adds - making up stupid unenforceable law is not the answer

another example of uneducated people in responsible jobs of authority trying to come up with something intelligent - not possible 

I have to ask, who is going to enforce this new law. The police will not do it, you going to go to some guys house and tell him he cannot smoke with all of his relatives there. Never ever come up with a law that you cannot enforce it only makes people more lawless.

While trying to protect young people from things that are harmful should always be commended, this is yet another example of Thailand coming up with half baked ideas, not thought through in the slightest before being released, and then being shocked and stunned when some logical and critical thought addresses the stupid proposal.

What they really need to do is to go back to the drawing board and come back with some well thought out measures to protect children and non smokers, though I suspect like many things here, that will not happen and this stupidity will slowly fade away and be forgotten, as always seems to happen to any laws they try to introduce that are unpopular.

24 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Image result for chiangmai record smog measurement

If you care about the children, stop the fires, from farm, forests and households.

If the photo is not bad enough imagine the poor kids living on the farm land where they do the burning, Like smoking Woodbines 

so it is ok to smoke in a pickup, car or truck IS IT????

what about overloaded pickup carrying people in the open back.

Thought there was  A LAW about this....that is, that it is ILLEGAL???!!!!

who enforces this if it is law....we ALL see them crammed into a small space...which is meant to carry goods etc.....

Lertpanya Buranabanthit - the leader of the Department of Women's Affairs and Family Development - said the law does not seek to ban smoking at home. 

And who is this putz? Nobody smokes inside their homes at all anymore.

And how about the air pollution for our kids? Who is going to protect them from that?

And how about the commanding of way too many hours of taking their time up at school subjecting them to idiotic activities and such that have zero basis on education?

And how about the kids gang violence? Who is going to protect them from that?

And who is going to protect our kids from the Junta? Either having to go to school and do the Ror Dor and forced to be in reserves until after 40 yrs old, or the conscripts who are subjected to officer slavery or worse group beatings of brutality?

These clowns have all their mental capacities stuck in their rear end. All they are trying to do is make a mark for themselves with total disregard for how moronic and off basis it may be.. 

41 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

And who is this putz?

41 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Lertpanya Buranabanthit - the leader of the Department of Women's Affairs and Family Development

Does that ring any bells?

42 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Nobody smokes inside their homes at all anymore.

If this is what you think then it must be be your opinion.

45 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

These clowns have all their mental capacities stuck in their rear end.

You could only know this if you have been there!

47 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

All they are trying to do is make a mark for themselves with total disregard for how moronic and off basis it may be.. 

Sounds a lot like your post.

28 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

1. Does that ring any bells?

2. If this is what you think then it must be be your opinion.

3. You could only know this if you have been there!

4. Sounds a lot like your post.

I will reply to the numbers I placed on your comments to me.

1. Duh. If you look at my post his name is copy pasted to see. But this guy is no one of any special interests who seems to know shart from shinola.

2. It is a given and seems to be the norm for nowadays. Where have you been?

3. Since you are a newbie, I would watch my language until you actually acquire some knowledge.

4. See #3 for my reply.

I have always enjoyed a coffee and a smoke from way back. 

I am considerate of others 

I have an upstairs area half open for me to enjoy my coffee and smokes.

I don't smoke inside our house I don't smoke in front of or near my wife at all.

I don't drink alcohol of any kind.

I earn on average 100000 baht or up some a month

I guess this makes me a hardened criminal now. 

This is a guise of Hitler Youth. Soon kids/teenagers will be dobbing on their parents. neighbors will be dobbing on each other as well. Turning the population against each other.

Forcing a person to do a rehabilitation program Seriously? Dragging you away in hand cuffs?

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing loads of new detention/rehabilitation 'centers'  go up in the next couple of years for other privacy infringement new laws.

I guess i'll have to stop smoking and then get drunk every night and beat up on the wife. Alcohol and drinking at home doesn't seem to be affected (yet?)

59 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I will reply to the numbers I placed on your comments to me.

1. Duh. If you look at my post his name is copy pasted to see. But this guy is no one of any special interests who seems to know shart from shinola.

2. It is a given and seems to be the norm for nowadays. Where have you been?

3. Since you are a newbie, I would watch my language until you actually acquire some knowledge.

4. See #3 for my reply.

Thanks for the reply and orderly organising my post into easy to follow numbered points,that requires some effort.Also thanks for inserting the word "seems" into your reply which sufficiently satisfies my pedantry nature.As per your requests in points 3 and 4 the more knowledge I acquire the less I seem(there's that bloody word again) to know.What I think I know is not the same as what I actually know.Being a pedant causes me to try and watch my language alas as you can plainly see sometimes I fail miserably.

I want to see them making WiFi illegal to save the children from harmful radiation !!!

Also included the mobile phone network and the planned 5G network.

Also to be made illegal are TVs and any access to a computer or mobile device for everybody under 15 !!!

All of this causes way more harm not only to children but to everybody !!!

All the above mentioned is actual SCIENCE !!! Proven fact !!!

In addition Geoengineering needs to be made fully illegal !!!

Also any kind of weather modification !!!

No, this is not a joke - it is proven fact and science - "they" [Governments all over the world !!!] are changing the climate deliberately - not you or me !!! [Check out the facts and stop believing the BS about CO2 !!!]

What a great idea: don't smoke at home.
Have any of you smart guys ever checked the air outside your home?
We live near a sugar factory, day after day a greenish-colored smoke that comes up to a dense black color comes out of the chimney, do you think it's harmful? I think yes, it is very harmful and we find 2.5 particles on all surfaces inside and out!
Who should pay the fine if I or others should get sick because of this "clean air"?
Stop with these laws / rules that are just funny, radically improve the quality of the air over the whole territory!

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Meanwhile........on every street in every village..............:whistling:

à¸à¸¥à¸à¸²à¸£à¸à¹à¸à¸«à¸²à¸£à¸¹à¸à¸ à¸²à¸à¸ªà¸³à¸«à¸£à¸±à¸ thai children on motorbikes

No registration plate/tax/licence...these are the people the government will punish, starting from whenever they hook up the computers...I think not.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Then his claim is most definitely true. Only the most top echelon, well connected, and in-the-know officials are allowed to use both the same tailor and the same hairdresser as the Supreme Leader

Haircut 2.JPG

(my observation after living & working in Thailand for more than 14 years) Rules... government regulations or laws in Thailand are only “words” on paper unless enforced by the police. And since the police (some) are too lazy to patrol their area and enforce government rules or they do not find it financially beneficial ( tea money) nothing will happen.  

Need to be careful - another reason for foreigners to be deported & blacklisted, wait and see, there will soon be 'do you have children?' followed by  'do you smoke?' question on visa applications - a pair of affirmative answer results in an instant rejection on the grounds of applicant being shown to be a bad guy and breaking the law. Next applicant please!

1 minute ago, toenail said:

(my observation after living & working in Thailand for more than 14 years) Rules... government regulations or laws in Thailand are only “words” on paper unless enforced by the police. And since the police (some) are too lazy to patrol their area and enforce government rules or they do not find it financially beneficial ( tea money) nothing will happen.  

I am just waiting to see the police enforce this on one of their own..Lol 

17 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Then his claim is most definitely true. Only the most top echelon, well connected, and in-the-know officials are allowed to use both the same tailor and the same hairdresser as the Supreme Leader

Haircut 2.JPG

Wrap your head around that. People who think THAT is a good look, are making laws to government everyone else.

Archived