New smoking at home law: "It's not a ban we are protecting the kids", top official

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The law is set to be enforced in Thailand from August 20th this year. 

Enforced? By whom? The leading officials that come up with these childish ideas don't seem to realize that putting another law on the books doesn't mean zip if there is no enforcement. 

My mama always used to say, "stupid is as stupid does" but she could never have imagined how far stupid has evolved! 

Good idea to protect the kids - BUT there are many many others courses of action that should be taken also, to protect their kids!

I guess they may well start to get beyond Thai 1.0 to maybe Thai 1.5 but NOT Thai 4.0! There seems to be a dearth of 'high order thinking' among those in authority.

It seems to have been replaced by "patting oneself on the back" in order to go forward. ????

I'm not sure why but an "Ebola Cure" keeps popping up in my mind. ????

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Lertpanya Buranabanthit - the leader of the Department of Women's Affairs and Family Development - said the law does not seek to ban smoking at home. 

"...but do it and we find out that the kiddies and old people are breathing in second-hand smoke, or if someone contracts a lung disease and it's off to prison for you - but it's not a ban."  :wink:  "Also, don't worry about that PM 2.5 air in the North.  That's not a problem.  We kick that can down the road from March though May and look!  Wonderful air now.  But don't dare light up in front of the kiddies.  Your second hand smoke is a bad, bad, problem - the AQI PM 2.5 above 250 isn't a problem.  If it was a problem we'd throw people in jail.  But we don't - so no problem."

1. I wonder where the evidenced based research can be found for this action?
  2.  Passive smoking is of concern but children on scooters without helmets just as dangerous, and more immediate risk of harm
  3.  Poor diet
  4.  Sexual abuse even more so

It is a law- of course it is!

Surely only a very small minority of people now smoke in the house in front of kids.  Why?.... because public education has worked in this field if nowhere else.

Sledge hammer to crack a nut.

I know quite a few mothers here in Canada that will not allow their husbands to smoke in the house because of their children living there. Themen smoke in their garage. The husbands consider is a win-win. the children are not exposed to secondhand smoke and whenever they want to get away from the ball and chain they head to the garage for a smoke. Some even have a beer fridge and a TV and escape for hours at a time.

OK, and go prohibit drinking alcohol, and about a dozen other things.  Will there be a "rat out your neighbor" bounty or reward?  Will any kid that now has a beef against their parent's be able to phone in a complaint to the cops?  Seems pretty odd ball.  Wonder what the real driving force is behind this

On 6/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like he needs to keep his syrup on and recommend vaping as everyone here in CM vapes for 4 months a year solid ban or no ban????

Well I doubt these will be banned, even though they are dangerous, attracting drivers attention...

wig.jpg.bc13472a7b5cc39fe2d8bd85ae02f715.jpg

On 6/24/2019 at 8:51 AM, smedly said:

Simple education and Tv adds - making up stupid unenforceable law is not the answer

another example of uneducated people in responsible jobs of authority trying to come up with something intelligent - not possible 

is it a law or just a ban of smoking in homes??

This law isn't targetting anything and is unenforceable. A classic example of a law drawn up by people who gave it zero thought. Incompetent and out of this world come to mind.

Meanwhile we are being told that a much bigger problen (air pollution) supposedly was stable in the past five years! I doubt many people up north are agreeing with that statement.

Why do children (and Adults) not deserve protection from this much bigger health hazard?

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

On 6/24/2019 at 9:12 AM, moe666 said:

I have to ask, who is going to enforce this new law. The police will not do it, you going to go to some guys house and tell him he cannot smoke with all of his relatives there. Never ever come up with a law that you cannot enforce it only makes people more lawless.

In Thailand, laws are not meant to be enforced. They just exist as tools to be used as and when you wish to bully someone or take their money.

Meanwhile, smoking is entirely legal whilst vaping is a prison sentence.

Archived