Safety in Thailand: But it'll take two years to put fire extinguishers in "rogue" hotels

webfact

Safety in Thailand: But it'll take two years to put fire extinguishers in "rogue" hotels

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon Cable TV revealed in a story on Facebook that a staggering 70% of hotels in Pattaya are operating illegally.

There are about 2,000 hotels in the resort. 

And many are flouting basic fire safety regulations. 

One of the aims of a drive by the government using Article 44 powers to rein in illegal hotels is to improve safety. 

Hotels have 90 days to register their intent to operate - the deadline is 18th August.

But they will then be given two years - until 18th August 2021 - before they must have fire extinguishers on every floor. 

The head of the local business and tourism association welcomed the moves to make rogue hotels legal and make them comply with regulations.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-24

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

But they will then be given two years - until 18th August 2021 - before they must have fire extinguishers on every floor. 

Ridiculous. It's not like installing fire extinguishers is a difficult task is it? Money before lives once again. It's also gross stupidity, as a small fire could easily be put out with an extinguisher, which if not could easily spread, becoming a serious blaze endangering lives and property. Hotels should not be allowed to operate AT ALL, if they don't have extinguishers in place already. That's just common sense.

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm pretty sure a hotel owner could just roll down to Homepro and have it done by the end of today. Not sure why they should be given til 2021...

It's because in 2021 they will all be able to complain that they haven't had enough time to do it, and doing so would cause them financial hardship, the givernment then rolls over and they will be given a further 5 years to comply.

43 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Was in a hotel that actually had a fire extinghiusher,had not been checked since 2005 this was a year or so ago.

I would also like to know what are the use of these fire extinguishers sprayed on the back of trucks carrying gas cylinders ..
As far as I know, water, even with a retarder, has never been effective against a gas fire

4 hours ago, petermik said:

Not simply a case of installing the fire extinguishers they should be checked yearly to see that they actually work........:whistling:

That will be the job of the drunk guys returning to their room after a night out.

Fire Extinguishers about 1700-2000 baht to buy, hardly troublesome thing to do.

Also the whole illegal hotel biz, is very little about  fire extinguishers, most places have it.

Article is yet adding more mud, the original article few days ago stated hotels without a license, were given 90 days to report to local authorities with whatever they were doing illegal , an amnesty.

Then hotel would be given assistance to get legal before the 90 days are up

This article states, hotels have 90 days to register intent to operate but another 2 years to get legal? to get license or only to buy fire extinguishers

33 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

It (the water) will cool down the gas cylinders to prevent an explosion.

On one or two tanks , not on a cargo ..

These fire extinguishers usually have 6 liters of water inside; what to do with 6 x 2 = 12 liters of water especially since nothing says that these fire extinguishers have been properly checked;
therefore no one knows if the gas cartridge inside still contains the propellant.

3 hours ago, monkeycu said:

In the mean time all guests are given 4 litres of water to drink before bed time, and instructed no toilet till morning

In case of fire

Foreigners cannot comply with that suggestion as peeing in public is an offence.

Alls I have to say is I am eternally grateful that I am not a hotel/guest house/hostel owner in Thailand...Even by bureaucracy in hell standards all these contradictory and confusing rules and regulations are a real swamp... 

If 70-80% of hotels are illegal maybe there is some thing wrong with the rules... 

35 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Alls I have to say is I am eternally grateful that I am not a hotel/guest house/hostel owner in Thailand...Even by bureaucracy in hell standards all these contradictory and confusing rules and regulations are a real swamp... 

If 70-80% of hotels are illegal maybe there is some thing wrong with the rules... 

Wait for it , go have a meeting with local amphur and they have no clue what you on about and as it turns out there are another different licenses they do issue and the one you have is not actually valid 

totally insane 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, petermik said:

Not simply a case of installing the fire extinguishers they should be checked yearly to see that they actually work........:whistling:

You mean something like a hotel inspector who actually checks all aspects of safety like fire exits, fire fighting equipment, evacuation procedures and possibly training of responsible people to fight small fires - I wish....

On 6/24/2019 at 8:32 AM, jacko45k said:

That will be the job of the drunk guys returning to their room after a night out.

True,how many maids are going to check the seals on them when the gusts check out, better putting them outside the rooms, could have a larger one to serve say 4 rooms instead.

Remember a friend (was a fireman) pulling up a hotel manager once, he noted the ring on the carpet where the fire extinguisher had been used to prop open a fire door. 

Archived