Swiss driver faces charges after motorcyclist dies in Rawai

webfact

Had a Thai Driver do the same to me when I was on my Motorcycle. Spent a week in the Hospital; and the Thai Driver demanded 10,000 Baht for damages to his car (he hit me!). The Police suggested I pay it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS JUSTICE IN THAILAND.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nonsense on both counts.

How dare you question the non-Phuketians and their 'wealth of experience' in these matters- its the naughty step for you for ten minutes. I'm off to trample all over a Chiang Mai forum just out of spite.????

EDIT: I am actually up in Chiang Mai at the moment so I shouldn't really comment. It is VERY quiet up here though which may explain the interest in a happening place.????

3 hours ago, exparte said:

Had a Thai Driver do the same to me when I was on my Motorcycle. Spent a week in the Hospital; and the Thai Driver demanded 10,000 Baht for damages to his car (he hit me!). The Police suggested I pay it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS JUSTICE IN THAILAND.  

had a similar experience - even my wife pleaded for the guilty Thai driver. I refused and demanded money from the Thai and was ready to go to court. I won and my insurance paid for me. But I forgot to demand money for a rented car for the time of repair.

I have been in LOS 3 years, bought a 3 year old pick up not for show but they jump over the holes better.

i wouldn't entertain anything other than first class(no1) insurance with a couple of bolt on's like free hire car and limited hospital cover following a bump.

The next thing to buy was dash cam front and rear  middle of the road model, now we are set for go, not forgetting thai driving licence.

2 1/2 years with annual discounts on the premium(after asking/demanding) and alls good, then comes the eventual rear end thump not bad 20.000baht. The chain of events follow if your still reading and not fallen asleep.

In the normal Bkk traffic everybody stopped except the car behind me, a quick look confirmed a telephone call to the insurance was in order (1st class) i was being pressured to move the car but nope it stayed put, 5 mins later the police turn up insurance had contacted them, they sprayed the road and told us to move 100mtr down to a safe place, insurance rep turned up(1stclass) and traveled to the police station with us, the third party traveled on the back of the police motorbike, yep you  guessed no insurance tax etc. At the police station our insurance rep handled everything and the police were  professional and apologetic that this happened.

The morale of this short novel is get quality insurance who in our case handled everything, it helped i had bothered to get a thai licence and the police appreciated that the rearfacing camera picked up that the third party was on his mobile which it was clear to see he dropped on impact, his punishment i do not know as we left him there!!!!!  But he was told to apologise for the inconvenience which he did. You will not single  handed beat how thai things work so protect yourself as best you can. All it leaves me with now is to fight for another premium discount on renewal this year.

7 hours ago, Psimbo said:

How dare you question the non-Phuketians and their 'wealth of experience' in these matters- its the naughty step for you for ten minutes. I'm off to trample all over a Chiang Mai forum just out of spite.????

EDIT: I am actually up in Chiang Mai at the moment so I shouldn't really comment. It is VERY quiet up here though which may explain the interest in a happening place.????

You are welcome to the Chiang Mai forum, there is no location police there.

In fact, you are probably the only one in all of TVF.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

doesn't look like an intersection there, parking spots on the right.  Maybe the swiss pulled out into traffic, the bike was speeding, etc.  The usual confluence of events.

No intersection, it's the entrance to Makro. Difficult spot, as people are often speeding as they leave Chalong circle. The bmw was moving slowly for sure, it would be interesting to know if there is any assessment of the bike's speed judging from the damage. A dash/back cam may not have helped, as it was a side collision. It was daytime and there must have been witnesses, but who knows how reliable.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So you're saying he doesn't have insurance?

Who mentioned insurance? are you saying if he is insured Being Swiss driving a beamer and obviously well off he wont have to pay a Franc? and is he fully covered in court if he gets found guilty and has to pay fines and costs? or have you no idea?????   

10 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Who mentioned insurance? are you saying if he is insured Being Swiss driving a beamer and obviously well off he wont have to pay a Franc? and is he fully covered in court if he gets found guilty and has to pay fines and costs? or have you no idea?????   

Many people mentioned insurance.

Yes, if he has proper 1st class insurance he won't have to pay a dime. Except maybe the 500 or 1,000 Baht fine for reckless driving.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Many people mentioned insurance.

Yes, if he has proper 1st class insurance he won't have to pay a dime. Except maybe the 500 or 1,000 Baht fine for reckless driving.

Hang on I will get my binoculars out and check his policy cover????

11 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Hang on I will get my binoculars out and check his policy cover????

You made the claim the guy is in deep trouble, which seems very unlikely since with a car like that he very, very likely has firsdt class insurance.

Now you try to ridicule others here, when the one who made claims that are most likely not correct is yourself.

46 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You made the claim the guy is in deep trouble, which seems very unlikely since with a car like that he very, very likely has firsdt class insurance.

Now you try to ridicule others here, when the one who made claims that are most likely not correct is yourself.

There is a lot of supposition there like just because he is driving the car how do you know its his the assumption he has 1st class insurance and or the collision was his fault or not is really unknown and your theory that just because he has allegedly got said insurance he is some how clad in protective armour "here" is 5 star ridiculous????   

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

There is a lot of supposition there like just because he is driving the car how do you know its his the assumption he has 1st class insurance and or the collision was his fault or not is really unknown and your theory that just because he has allegedly got said insurance he is some how clad in protective armour "here" is 5 star ridiculous????   

Don't try to turn the discussion around. You made incorrect claims, got corrected and now try to twist out of it.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, Almer said:

yep you  guessed no insurance tax etc.

It was not your fault but you will pay the next year a 10% higher insurance fee because they paid for you. The other driver payed 500 Baht to the police and that´s it for him. 

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

Don't try to turn the discussion around. You made incorrect claims, got corrected and now try to twist out of it.

No incorrect anything here its not a discussion you are wrong as usual and that's the end of it suggest you play Chubby Checker to yourself in future ????

Who in his right mind would have a newish car and no first class insurance? 

In this case a BMW for 3 million. How many % would drive it without good first class cover?

1%? 2%?

I would bet on stevenl's estimation.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

No incorrect anything here its not a discussion you are wrong as usual and that's the end of it suggest you play Chubby Checker to yourself in future ????

Agree, end of.

You made a comment presuming he has no insurance, which is very, very unlikely. You got called out, and have nothing to add, just the same, and now get back with insults. Sad.

there are cams everywhere.

it is not easy to blame a farang for any accident just bc he/she is a farang. this is not that easy anymore.

sorry but a 71 years old swiss in a fast bmw looks like he is wrong. and he pays the bill and takes the responsibility.

From the pictures it looks like the BMW crossed the double yellow lines, crossing the opposite lanes, to drive into this parking area.

He crossed a double yellow, so clearly wrong, even if you see people doing it all the time here in Thailand.

8 hours ago, Galactus said:

there are cams everywhere.

it is not easy to blame a farang for any accident just bc he/she is a farang. this is not that easy anymore.

sorry but a 71 years old swiss in a fast bmw looks like he is wrong. and he pays the bill and takes the responsibility.

Yet, many times those cameras "don't work" especially if you are near Bangla road.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

From the pictures it looks like the BMW crossed the double yellow lines, crossing the opposite lanes, to drive into this parking area.

He crossed a double yellow, so clearly wrong, even if you see people doing it all the time here in Thailand.

I know this area very well. It's a marked off central lane, not double lines. 

No doubt the Swiss man turned right into the Makro parking bay across the oncoming traffic.  Likely he is at fault even if mbike driving at high speed.

This is a nightmare driving area with Tesco Lotus mini mall next door. Plenty bikes ghosting at high speed, although not in this case, and traffic crossing over south bound lane. Always need acute observation all round.  

37 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I know this area very well. It's a marked off central lane, not double lines. 

This is not a lane, this is an area between two solid lines, so nobody is supposed to drive there or cross them, this also means no turning.

Took me a while to find the right term for it in english, so probably a new term to learn for most of us non native english speakers, this is called "central hatching"

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

This is not a lane, this is an area between two solid lines, so nobody is supposed to drive there or cross them, this also means no turning.

Took me a while to find the right term for it in english, so probably a new term to learn for most of us non native english speakers, this is called "central hatching"

From memory there was a similar discussion with a double fatality that occurred a year or so back. Then, a tourist was attempting a U-turn in front of the Honda dealership when two motorbike riders hit his vehicle at high speed. Some people argued the crossing double lines point then.

There's nothing in the Thai "Land Traffic Act" that mentions turning across double lines or central hatching.

It does state that right turns, or turning around, isn't allowed if there's a sign prohibiting it at that point. It does say oncoming traffic shouldn't be obstructed.

Sections 50-53 of the Act refers.

Archived