Swiss driver faces charges after motorcyclist dies in Rawai

webfact

Can't tell from the article who was at fault. Unfortunately someone lost his life. Probably didn't have a helmet on, but don't know that either.

Being on Thai roads are obviously very dangerous. But if you are a farang, aside from the physical dangers, if you are in a accident and not at fault, you may very well be at fault anyway. Most westerners are much more cautious drivers. Seen many motorbikes blowing through intersections without even a hint of a look left or right. It very well could be the mc at fault. Hopefully they had it on cctv so one can know the truth. Just not worth the risk to be on Thai roads at all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a few things that bother me in this thread. 

Let me start. 

Having first class insurance means nothing in Thailand. Why people feel it's some sense of security is beyond me. 

They (insurance companies) will do anything to weasel out of the policy once a death occurs. 

Once you're arrested for anything that equates to negligent driving, they can deny coverage. Something in the fine print. 

They won't post bail for you. 

1st class insurance is a false sense of security many expats don't understand. 

Having connections is your best bet. 

29 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

I wonder if the motorcyclist had a driver's license

What could be the implications (for the farang) if he didn't?

Just curious as I know very little about the workings of the Thai (in)Justice system

Keep it that way

42 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

I wonder if the motorcyclist had a driver's license

What could be the implications (for the farang) if he didn't?

Just curious as I know very little about the workings of the Thai (in)Justice system

If no license he'll get fined, no other consequences.

Archived