More than 6,000 foreigners prosecuted for taking Thai jobs and illegal working in the last year

webfact

More than 6,000 foreigners prosecuted for taking Thai jobs and illegal working in the last year

9pm.jpg

The head of the Thai Department of Employment has said that more than 6,000 foreigners have been working illegally and taking jobs reserved for Thais in the last 12 months. 

Nearly one and a half thousand employers have been fined for employing them.

Some 41 million baht has been collected in fines. 

The crackdown over the last year mainly involves migrant workers from neighboring countries though more than 300 came from further afield. 

Bangkok - especially the Huay Kwang and Sukhumvit areas - were targeted along with many provinces where migrant labor is high. 

Petcharat Sin-uay said that these included Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani, Phuket, Surat Thai, Songkhla and Chiang Mai in particular. 

Illegal migrants were particularly selling food and drink on the streets and items in shops - jobs reserved exclusively for Thai nationals. 

Some 6,647 people were fined for not having work permits or working in restricted jobs from July 1st 2018 to June 18th of this year. 

In all the DoE investigated 417,546 cases. 

Some 1,420 employers were busted and fines totaled 41 million baht over the last year were collected from both employers and employees. 

Top of the list for breaking the law were people from Myanmar with 4,250 cases followed by Cambodia 1,050, Laos 665 and Vietnam 349. 

The remainder came from other countries unspecified in the Spring News story. 

Source: Spring News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-24

9 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

so while the workers get deported the employers just get a fine..

amazes me how a system like this developed in the first place 

Yeah if u pull this shit in germany and you employ someone illegally you get taken away for tax evasion and many other things. Here you get a fine less than the weekly salary, unbelievable. 

Like in CM for so many years now, the Thai yai were infiltrating by buying their own carts and then selling at the food vendor stalls at night. Thye actually took some serious business away from the Thai, but no one cared. To name a few stalls they were like selling pork and rice with broth with egg, or little barbequed surimi, or pork things, and then if you went to some day markets, they actually had rented stalls and were selling food. If it was any white or different foreign person, we would have been racked up a long time ago.

Which brings to mind. In BKK around China town area, there was an older white foreigner making som tum on the street from his cart. Wonder what happened to him? He was actually on the news as a fun thing as made ok som tum.

Their neighbours are coming in illegal and doing those jobs.if caught you see them on those buses or cages leaving Thailand to come back later.being going on for years this type of trade.i know one from Burma who has being in Chiangmai for years but she keeps a low profile about this subject and does not want talk about it

Sent from my SM-T580 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yeah if u pull this shit in germany and you employ someone illegally you get taken away for tax evasion and many other things. Here you get a fine less than the weekly salary, unbelievable. 

That's because Germany doesn't want the migrants to work for money; they just give it to them.

4 minutes ago, OutofSiam said:

That's because Germany doesn't want the migrants to work for money; they just give it to them.

Given that the future will include a guaranteed income for all, independent of work, I'm not sure why you're complaining

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

it's hope that they can potentially get fined again in future

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Illegal migrants were particularly selling food and drink on the streets and items in shops - jobs reserved exclusively for Thai nationals.

Yes, reserved for the selfish food carts that use and abuse public property for tax-free income.  Some of these guys make a lot of money!

I'm finding it hard to understand why they wouldn't want to fix the system so that they can benefit from this economic stimulus of migrant workers

As long as its legal and taxed we can build more parks and recreational areas of which there is next to non...

What a novel idea - I wonder if anyone else has ever done that in their country? I wouldnt know I've never travelled, had an education or watched a documentary in my life yet...

2 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

I'm finding it hard to understand why they wouldn't want to fix the system so that they can benefit from this economic stimulus of migrant workers

As long as its legal and taxed we can build more parks and recreational areas of which there is next to non...

What a novel idea - I wonder if anyone else has ever done that in their country? I wouldnt know I've never travelled, had an education or watched a documentary in my life yet...

But Thais employing them dont pay taxes, nor do the workers, they send their money mostly back home...

In a real country you can do this yes indeed.

You can easily add two zeros to this figure; guess who is working on the rice fields and mills? Illegally hired Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians working for a fraction of the government's dictated salary, no protection, insurance - nothing. 

Only possible because the Thais are too lazy to do certain jobs while the official Thailand is just too bureaucratic in granting work and stay visas with insurance on a "one stop level". The employers of such people should be fined a hundred times more so the pressure to facilitate the lack of human resource would be coming from the employers. Pathetic ........ 

There are around 2 million foreigners in Thailand with the great, great majority being laborers from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia.  6000 represents 0.3% of 2 million.  I expect the "real" number of foreigners working illegally in Thailand is much higher than 0.3%....and that 0.3% is just a token number to show the immigration police are at least catching a token few.

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

Thai jails are not big enough to hold all the illegal bosses of companies employing illegal immigrants.

They just get a fine which suits the government coffers!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The head of the Thai Department of Employment has said that more than 6,000 foreigners have been working illegally and taking jobs reserved for Thais in the last 12 months. 

Nearly one and a half thousand employers have been fined for employing them.

Some 41 million baht has been collected in fines. 

41,000,000 baht / 6000 foreigners

6800 baht fine for each offence. That's not going to deter employers from hiring illegals.

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They'd find 6000 in a single night in Pattaya, touting suits and other junk, carving kebabs and running restaurants.

What about the cheese makers?

2 minutes ago, nkg said:

41,000,000 baht / 6000 foreigners

6800 baht fine for each offence. That's not going to deter employers from hiring illegals.

Just a little over the funds for a dead foreigner 

One therefore must assume either the pay is so low, Thais will not do the job, OR Thais are so goddam lazy that actually working is not in their mindset.

Either way I bet THE FOREIGNERS do a better job that Thais can. 

Employers often have enough wealth to pass envelopes or use political pressure so they don't get as severe a penalty as the employee. Really hard to see why an employer would want to hire someone that brings less benefit to their organization but that is how Thailand's leadership has chosen to strengthen their business sector. They are always thinking of the big picture...

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The employers of such people should be fined a hundred times more so the pressure to facilitate the lack of human resource would be coming from the employers. Pathetic ........ 

Only thing is, guess where all those cash fines go?

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

will they be arresting Thais coming back when deported from Australia and Korea for working illegally? They just blacklist them in other countries, they don't charge them.

Nah,  they just go back to the rub and tug jobs

they left, here in the first place,  for less money. 

Archived