CCTV Systems info required.

cheshiremusicman

I live in gated community of some 40 villas and for my sins am on the Committee that tries (it's best) to look after all the general things that require doing within the community.

I am looking into trying to set up a CCTV system to monitor the coming and goings of vehicles and people. The whole system would have a minimum of 6 cameras, with 3 of them being some 160m from the recording device mounted as a cluster in an elevated position with line of sight to the recording device located in the entrance guard house. Has anybody got any experience of using WiFi cameras at this range? There is no problem of supplying a D.C. supply to the cluster as we have a mains supply some 5m from the cluster from where where we could locate a ad/dc converter. Obviously, the farther away you get the weaker the WiFi signals get, but I believe that we could use amplifiers to overcome this problem. 

I understand that we could 'Hardwire' the cameras, but I would prefer to use WiFi instead to overcome slinging cables. 

I would be most grateful to hear of anybody that has had experience/knowledge of problems that might occur.

My only offer of advice would be not to rely on WIFI for reliable security.

I had WIFI security at home in Australia and had a couple of power blackouts which renders the CCTV useless.

Unless of course you had a battery back up system.

Best of luck.

Archived