Too ill to leave Thailand

Hi

My non-immigrant O obtained from KL a few months ago expires tomorrrow. I was due to fly out to Ho Chi Minh Ciy tomorrow to get another non-O (multi), but unfortunately I seem to have come down with the flu or simlar bug, so travelling is going to be difficult. Will my immigration office extend my visa due to illness? I'm guessing that they would need a letter from the Doctors if this is an option?

I know that most immigration offices will give a 60 day extension for a non-O visa, but unfortunately this is not the case with my office (I have tried before).  They (Si Racha) have their very own interpretation of the regulations!

Thank for your help.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You can apply for the 60 days in any case and they will provide 7 extra days if not approved (you have to pay the 1,900 baht).  

OK. Thanks Lopburi3. And do they need to see a Docs letter confirming the illness?

1 minute ago, JonoM said:

OK. Thanks Lopburi3. And do they need to see a Docs letter confirming the illness?

Not for 60 day or normal extension (even if not allowed).  Do not believe they will accept flu type symptoms letter as reason to extend but you can try if doctor will provide letter you are not fit to travel - you must have made reservations already so would be inclined to try to make the trip and obtain new visa myself - believe HCMC is still quite low key and easy process if you have the paperwork (and USD for fee).

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not for 60 day or normal extension (even if not allowed).  Do not believe they will accept flu type symptoms letter as reason to extend but you can try if doctor will provide letter you are not fit to travel - you must have made reservations already so would be inclined to try to make the trip and obtain new visa myself - believe HCMC is still quite low key and easy process if you have the paperwork (and USD for fee).

Flying with a cold especially he should say his ears are blocked. That can easy lead to burst eardrums due to pressure changes ,any doctor will write a no fly letter.

• Haha 1

If you try to play a game that would be accepted in Western countries, I guess replies above could help. 
What is too ill? Just feeling sick and having a fever does not qualify.

Other than that, man up and get your extension done. Otherwise you will be the one losing anyway (overstay, fines, more papers needed).
What you state about your local immigration sounds weird to me, you can also just go to another office near by.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Lots of Dengue fever going around at the moment

???? Hope its not that!

34 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yep, all booked and paid. Problem is I seem to be getting worse, so dont want to get stuck there!

20 minutes ago, madmen said:

Flying with a cold especially he should say his ears are blocked. That can easy lead to burst eardrums due to pressure changes ,any doctor will write a no fly letter.

Thanks, good point.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can an extension for medical treatment if you can get a letter from a doctor stating you are unable to travel.

OK, might visit the docs tomorrow then.

3 minutes ago, tabarin said:

If you try to play a game that would be accepted in Western countries, I guess replies above could help. 

Other than that, man up and get your extension done. Otherwise you will be the one losing anyway (overstay, fines, more papers needed).
What you state about your local immigration sounds weird to me, you can also just go to another office near by.

Game! Why would I want to play any games with Thai immigration. I know the consequences, that's why I'm asing for the options available. As far as I know, you can only use your local immigration office, otherwise I'd be more than happy to go elswhere!

1 hour ago, JonoM said:

I seem to have come down with the flu or simlar bug, so travelling is going to be difficult. Will my immigration office extend my visa due to illness? I'm guessing that they would need a letter from the Doctors if this is an option?

I'm guessing that if you're fit enough to travel to Immigration with a cold you're probably fit enough to endure the 1½ flight to HCM!  

If you have real influenza, not just "the flu or similar bug", you'd know about it.  Influenza is debilitating, it is not just a cold. 

Edited by Just Weird

3 hours ago, tabarin said:

Yeah newsflash Ibuprofen and Paracetamol are still availible... No probs...

glegolo

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Have you never been anywhere in public when you've had a cold so as never to make anyone else sick?

I try to avoid being in public when I know I am likely to be infectious. With a typical cold, by about 48 hours after symptoms start, your immune system is kicking in, and (while probably not feeling great) you are unlikely to be infecting others. If you are really down with influenza, I believe you should try very hard to avoid contacts with others. The very young, and older people with weakened immune systems could die if they pick it up from you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Go get admitted to hospital, they will help u with visa

Not exactly correct, maybe a private hospital will, maybe some government hospitals do, but not all hospitals do.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I try to avoid being in public when I know I am likely to be infectious. With a typical cold, by about 48 hours after symptoms start, your immune system is kicking in, and (while probably not feeling great) you are unlikely to be infecting others. If you are really down with influenza, I believe you should try very hard to avoid contacts with others. The very young, and older people with weakened immune systems could die if they pick it up from you.

Well done brit'tim about tome someone told these selfish morons to confinethemselves when they are ill

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Two inflammatory off topic posts have been removed.

Forum rules.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

And now two under this rule.

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:24 PM, lopburi3 said:

You can apply for the 60 days in any case and they will provide 7 extra days if not approved (you have to pay the 1,900 baht).  

you need a doctor letter attesting you not able to travel by car plane etc ....

So yesterday, I went with my wife and obtained a 60 day extension with just the standard documents, without any problems. Have to say that the IO was quite pleasant and we were in and out in less than 30 minutes. Not sure why they refused to issue this type of extension before, but all seems back to normal now. ????