Old age when you are too old to travel

On 6/24/2019 at 9:10 PM, Apache704 said:

Sir, I am 73 years old and I also have to leave Thailand due to the ever increasing changes with Immigration and with no health insurance which I did have before the Army took over. Ecuador is my next destination with a minimal amount of money per month($800) US and for each dependent $100 more plus they have health care for less than $100 per month for a couple and a Senior have discounts on everything. The rents are cheap, also the food, the climate is better. Also you can own land there as a foreigner but they are a lot more expensive than Thailand. Cuenco has the largest expat population (up to 8000) with English being spoken almost everywhere compared to none elsewhere. There are plenty of restaurants that can cater to whomever. I'll be going there from Canada in November and staying 60 days in Cuenca. I'm sure that I can pick up Spanish a lot easier than Thai. Take a good look at getting a Pension Visa from Ecuador you won't have to go back to England for Health care. If you would like to e-mail me for more information I will gladly send it to you.

You mentioned Health Insurance in Equador can be purchsed for less than $100 per month plus another $100 per month for each dependant. 

Is this also for a senior over 65?   How much is Health Insurance for them in Equador? 

Thank you very much for your info..    Take care... 

I'm wondering what other tropical countries in the world make it easy for older retirees...    

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:36 AM, totally thaied up said:

Just about everyone I talk to think they are going to drop dead. Over the last two years here I have had two of my friends fall sick. One had a serious infection and the other cancer. They have both been declining slowly - like the long good-bye and, they are both nearly broke. Just to add things to the mix, a few more of my friends are using agents for the Visas as they don't make the 800K, and they have nowhere to go. At the most they make 35K a month and must have been lying for years on the income verification form. Just the curse of getting old and having no funds is going to be the fact they are going to be driven out. Do you want to put yourself in such a position where you have not even the money to go home and that a high building looks like the best option out? Not sufficient planning goes into this thinking about your old age and for many, they are not going to have the big dollars needed to retire here to end of life. I have a guaranteed pension here for life, and I am afraid it will not be adequate to see me out. My wife will have to be my care giver but who knows depending on how infirm you become during the later stages psychically or mentally, that they can they cope with it? Costs big dollars getting old. You need to think about it.

Yep.... you're right.  It's all about MONEY ! ! !  Give me the cash...    I'm getting old....  probably be a relief when I am gone and don't have to worry about not having lots of money...

• Sad 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Would you really like to know your "expiration date?"

No thanks, it's better not to know when to go. 

I'd like to know.  The surgeon told me I had about a 4% chance of dying on the operating table.  I had to take that chance...    After having quadruple CABG cardiac bypass... being "On Pump" with my heart shut down for two hours and seven minutes....I find being Buddhist makes me comfortable with the thought of approaching my end... and going on into another life.  

On 6/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, marcusarelus said:

I'm curious as to why you mention it.  What do your friends do when you tell them?  Do they rush home to the nanny state?  Or do you only tell people on an anonymous forum?

I knew 20 years ago that it would be a good idea to transfer my financial assets to a Thai bank and have almost doubled my money but If I tell anyone on this forum I get lynched with warnings about the danger of Thai banks and the solid future of Western currencies and folks tell me I'm bragging.  

I never tell anyone what to do.  No good deed goes unpunished. 

I'd put about 20 - 25% of your bank money into precious metals if I were you.....  just in case.  

Gold and silver have held their value well over the past couple of thousands of years .. much better than dollars or bahts or kip or anything else.    20 - 25% in Gold and Silver....  just in case..  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:21 PM, marcusarelus said:

You miss a lot of stuff by always criticizing.  I'm old.  I don't take chances in love or investment.  I think I will live out my life in Thailand.  I can go back to America.  I think I'd make the flight in three stages or maybe a cruise liner from Japan.  From Alaska to Vancouver is $600 by boat.  I don't really want a long flight as my legs cramp up.  

I'm 67.......What I do on ultra-long haul flights is get up, and walk up and down the aisles once in a while.   And I'll raise my heels when sitting down and flex my calf muscles and thigh muscles. Flex and loosen... flex and loosen... repeat a number of times.  Holding the side of a seat when standing in the aisle, I'll do some deep knee bends up and down seven or eight times. Doing those things helps keep the blood flowing in your legs and helps prevents the leg cramps.  I used to get those leg cramps my first few flights... but no more since I started using those little exercises about every thirty or 45 minutes during very long flights. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 7:38 PM, Tomahawk21 said:

i think you are correct i some some people gone back home and i think they had to wait about 6 months, now there getting treated.

From what I know.. you're correct.  

I'm sure this happens to others in the same boat..

And now they're getting treated over there in England. Their government is helping them with health care.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 5:54 PM, moskito said:

Renting out property in Europe is by far better as selling everything. Thais never think about tomorrow, we should!

Its the worst thing anyone could do. By far the best option would have been to sell up and move your money to Thailand where it would be worth a hell of a lot more today. Living on western rent money would mean watching your $$ gett hammered year after year...bad move but everybody says keep your money home where it is safe LOL