Old age when you are too old to travel

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Very sad to hear such regrets and that you have wasted your life here.

Not sure however what you expect in return from a foreign country and I assume you are not a citizen.

I am older and do not think it is a terrible life at all on the contrary.

A lot of happiness is in ones mind and attitude.

Certainly hope you find no black holes in the future..

I am 75 and I agree with you 100%.

• Like 2

I agree that if getting old & frail decisions need to be made. I am getting there quickly

Financials are important so is health care (such that it is in the UK---overloaded & underfunded)

I am not sure what you people expect from Thailand who struggle with their own health care ,,, so why should they look after us as foreigners ? You want to live in Cambodia because it is

cheaper believe me Private health care there is basic, expensive & major cases are flown to Bangkok anyway care 

They are taking steps to put health care in place for retirement visa's & extensions

(someone mentioned 44,000 Bht per annum )  which if no private cover had to be paid before extension granted.

WE all know we are getting old,,,,, get a grip & plan,,,,,answer I do not have the money

Stop blaming Thailand tor your stupid oversights

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I believe far too many retirees here are short sighted in failing to allow for the fact that age and infirmity catches up with us all.

Also, illness or accident could strike us down at any time and, in a country where government assistance is generally scarce for non-residents, health insurance or access to extra funding is essential.

In their planning, people putting down roots here should always be aware of the possibility of bad times, and the inevitable decline of old age. That plan should include whether you want to stay here to the end, or return to the succor of home country. 

If you don't have the family support, sufficient funding, or perhaps the desire, to go through to final expiration in Thailand, and will require repatriation, that should have always have been part of your planning. You should have an evacuation plan ready, and know when the right time to leave comes.

To blame your lack of finances on Thailand because they are tightening up on visa rules and insisting on more control of who lives in their country in this time of borderless criminals and other undesirables seeking a place to thrive, just illustrates a lack of planning or the fact that you should never have left the safety net of home.   

Your post sure makes a lot of sense, but the Thai authorities should be doing something about these borderless criminals and other undesirables instead of always making it harder for us expats and long stay tourists, the vast majority of whom are decent and happy to contribute to the Thai economy.

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, agents in Pattaya are plentiful, but are there agents down south, up north, in Isaan, or Central Thailand? I am not saying there isn't, but I never hear or read about any agents except in Pattaya and Bangkok.

I do my extensions at Khampaeng Phet and about 6 months ago I asked about agents and was told mai mee agents.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jonesthepost said:

There is no  6 month wait as soon as you return get an address you register  

"Expats from outside Europe who return to the UK to use NHS hospitals will be billed for 150 per cent of the cost of treatment if they don’t have sufficient insurance. 

Treatment remains free for those with a European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) and UK state pensioners living in the European Economic Area (EEA).

The charges only apply to hospitals – appointments with GPs and accident and emergency treatment remain free. Patients should expect to be asked questions about their residence status in the UK. 

The changes, which came into effect on April 6, affect British expats differently, depending on where they now live. They are part of a drive to save the NHS £500 million a year by 2017/18."

If you register with a doctor you will be asked details of previous address and GP.A check of your passport will quickly reveal all . You clearly haven’t heard about 'connectivity ' where government departments share information. Passport office will know you renewed abroad as will DWP are your pension  . It’s not so easy anymore.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UKresonant said:

I did the wheel chair trip, Xmas 2017, the assistance was great, as long as you could get up the aircraft steps using the crouches.

EDI-MUC-FRA-BKK-THS inbound, Then BKK-ZRH-EDI on the way back. (I had booked those flights, before the mobility problem).

Father is 85 and still comes to Thailand every year for 3x59 days, still gets good quality travel insurance at about 17500 Baht per trip....but of course he is still based in the UK....I think I would agree with the OPs thinking.

26 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

He gets his friends or relations to take him in a car, with his wheelchair in the boot to his local Immigration. Ask him!

I know Colin personally, and unless things have changed recently, his wife does his 90 day reports. 

Unless things have now changed regarding his annual visit to immigration, I know what happens, so I will leave it at that.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I do my extensions at Khampaeng Phet and about 6 months ago I asked about agents and was told mai mee agents.

And you took that to mean no or no I don’t want to talk about it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I agree that if getting old & frail decisions need to be made. I am getting there quickly

Financials are important so is health care (such that it is in the UK---overloaded & underfunded)

I am not sure what you people expect from Thailand who struggle with their own health care ,,, so why should they look after us as foreigners ? You want to live in Cambodia because it is

cheaper believe me Private health care there is basic, expensive & major cases are flown to Bangkok anyway care 

They are taking steps to put health care in place for retirement visa's & extensions

(someone mentioned 44,000 Bht per annum )  which if no private cover had to be paid before extension granted.

WE all know we are getting old,,,,, get a grip & plan,,,,,answer I do not have the money

Stop blaming Thailand tor your stupid oversights

Stupid oversights, oh dear!

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Can you name these countries?

Would be interested to hear.

What about the other countries bordering Thailand, also other countries in Asia like The Philipines compared to Thailand.

Also, what other countries if any, has retirees doing these nonsensical 90 day reports?

jonesthepost     121

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Now I am 80 years old I often think what happens when you become to old to travel and are unable to leave Thailand and your funds are low. I am thinking about returning to the U.K. well I am still able.   

They shoot horses dont they

But i bet the thais will not be quite  so humane

Get out while you can 

Edited by travelling wilbury
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Rayong has a bunch and I'm sure any other office also does.  Easy to spot.  Look for the Thai woman with a stack of passports and tins of cookies.  I'm serious.  Want to find an agent just sit in the outer office and watch for the lady with the passports and ask her for her card.  

I could count the number of times, apart from when I was a school teacher, the number of times I have

been in an IO on one hand.

Up country, there has never been any queues in the IOs I have been in, though it is very different in the

likes of Chaing Mai, Bangkok,and Pattaya.

19 hours ago, UKresonant said:

I did the wheel chair trip, Xmas 2017, the assistance was great, as long as you could get up the aircraft steps using the crouches.

EDI-MUC-FRA-BKK-THS inbound, Then BKK-ZRH-EDI on the way back. (I had booked those flights, before the mobility problem).

Father is 85 and still comes to Thailand every year for 3x59 days, still gets good quality travel insurance at about 17500 Baht per trip....but of course he is still based in the UK....I think I would agree with the OPs thinking.

Would be grateful if you can let me have details of how to get 3 x 59 days and also the insurance provider.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

What are you going to do back in the UK. Find a care home charging 1000 GBP a week?

Exactly the point I was gonna make. Cleaners at my condo complex work dam hard 8 hours a day, 7 days a week cleaning common areas for 3,500 baht a week. 7 / 11 staff do long hours for less Im told. 300 baht a day I was told a few years back.

I would have thought getting a personal helper for 10 to 15,000 baht a month would be very very possible.

Cook clean shop etc.

I would need someone keeping me stocked with beer ????????????????. It would be easier than many jobs paying less. 

In UK a home would want 160,000 baht equivalent a month.

Errrrrrrr ok Im talking about when you get too old and infirm not if you ill. That might cost more for a nurse but not 160,000 baht.

If I went home after spending my savings enjoying myself here and needed assistance in a home .. I would be required by law to sell my home in the UK to pay the home.

My sons inheritance would go down by 160,000 baht a month. If I stay here I wont even be spending my pension income on assistance.

Ive seen the naughty maids outfits I want for my staff already. ????????????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jonesthepost said:

One thing there are places to rent but finding one that will take older people not working are hard to find.  

Which country are you referring to here? I went back to the UK in 2011 for three months during the floods. just rented a bedsit.

I'm not sure though if that would be the case now.

I wonder how easy it would be for someone in his seventies to get accomodation in the UK now with all

these immigrants there.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Which country are you referring to here? I went back to the UK in 2011 for three months during the floods. just rented a bedsit.

I'm not sure though if that would be the case now.

I wonder how easy it would be for someone in his seventies to get accomodation in the UK now with all

these immigrants there.

And what are you over here, an immigrant?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I could count the number of times, apart from when I was a school teacher, the number of times I have

been in an IO on one hand.

Up country, there has never been any queues in the IOs I have been in, though it is very different in the

likes of Chaing Mai, Bangkok,and Pattaya.

So you've only been to Immigration 4 times or 5 if using your thumb...........in how long?

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And what are you over here, an immigrant?

I pay my way over here and contribute to the economy, do most of the immigrants

do the same in the UK?

OH! and by the way, am I an immigrant here? The last I understood I was a non immigrant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So you've only been to Immigration 4 times or 5 if using your thumb...........in how long?

I am referring to my local IO, not borders, and I have had a few years as a school teacher.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, dcnx said:

This is one of the reasons I’m leaving. Ending up stuck or forced out of Thailand when I’m too old to move is a nightmare waiting to happen. I’m not going to take that risk when it’s not necessary. 

There are plenty of countries that welcome foreigners and give residency fairly easy without endless immigration nonsense.

My only regret is not leaving years ago. All that wasted time could have been put towards getting PR or even citizenship elsewhere. 

Thailand is a black hole that gives you nothing in return. A terrible life and time investment beyond a certain age.

I still like my life here. When I consider alternatives, I cannot come up with many. Now, if I were wealthy, that would be a different story. But the quality of life I have here is hard to beat elsewhere. Of course, I say that having a great Thai woman by my side. That helps alot. And I get to travel back to the US often, which is a nice change of pace, and makes me very happy to return. I would not move back to the US for anything less than $1 million a year. It is a place of quiet desperation these days. 

However, I do agree about the nonsense. The army has done a great job diminishing our status here, and making life more difficult. They need us, yet they do not have a clue. Their ignorance and hubris knows no boundaries. Immigration and residency is far easier, in most other countries. The nationalistic diatribes are so boring here. The army really needs to be shown the door! The Thai people really need to figure out a way to get rid of these useless incompetents. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1