Old age when you are too old to travel

3 hours ago, Apache704 said:

Sir, I am 73 years old and I also have to leave Thailand due to the ever increasing changes with Immigration and with no health insurance which I did have before the Army took over. Ecuador is my next destination with a minimal amount of money per month($800) US and for each dependent $100 more plus they have health care for less than $100 per month for a couple and a Senior have discounts on everything. The rents are cheap, also the food, the climate is better. Also you can own land there as a foreigner but they are a lot more expensive than Thailand. Cuenco has the largest expat population (up to 8000) with English being spoken almost everywhere compared to none elsewhere. There are plenty of restaurants that can cater to whomever. I'll be going there from Canada in November and staying 60 days in Cuenca. I'm sure that I can pick up Spanish a lot easier than Thai. Take a good look at getting a Pension Visa from Ecuador you won't have to go back to England for Health care. If you would like to e-mail me for more information I will gladly send it to you.

Hello

Interesting post, thanks.

Are you aware there is a topic on this forum re. considering moving to Latin America, including Ecuador?

I wish you well with the move.

Here is the link to the topic.Might be of interest and I am sure the topic starter there would be interested in your planned move.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

An extremely valid point. 

I know you can do a 90 day report remotely, but can 'others' do your yearly extensions for you? (i.e. Based on Retirement or Marriage?)

This is one of two major issues to longevity in Thailand - the other is healthcare and medical insurance. 

Growth industry for Thailand. Starters here in Chiang Mai but I'm thinking the Royal Thai Immigration requirements will stifle this.

4 hours ago, jayceenik said:

I've been living retired in Thailand for three decades now  I had a spacious studio rental in BKK and another one in Pattaya. Now living in Ubon in the house I bought for TGF. Everything was fine until this health insurance sucker punch.

Quite a few years back, before knowing present TGF,  I had come across an article in a foreign mag/paper about living/retiring in Ecuador. I was so fired up that I checked which airlines were flying there. KLM had a good flight from AMS. I was planning to go there for a few months to get established and than share my time between Thailand and Ecuador for a start and eventually move there. I speak Spanish. I didn't pursue this intention. Now I regret it.

I'm quite happy now spending my Golden Years here in Thailand with my TGF but Ecuador would have been a much better choice.

I will now marry my TGF ASAP so that I may be spared this mandatory health insurance which I cannot get because I'm 80.

Otherwise I'll have to go back to Belgium which I left 50 years ago.

The mandatory health insurance they've been talking about is only for O-A visas, though, not retirement extensions based on a non-immigrant O visa.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Do you really think that this will not change in the future?  IMHO, one reason why many expats are considering moving to another country (or returning home) is the complete lack of consistency of the visa rules and how they are applied at each immigration office.

Maybe they will do this, maybe they will do that, maybe I can do this, maybe I can't..... and so on and so on.

Sometimes I feel like giving the whole visa and reporting system a hard slap around the face and shouting "MAKE YOUR MIND UP!!"

It's this uncertainly that's causing expats to move, not necessarily the actual implication of new rules.

I'm 60 now. I could maybe stay in Thailand another 20-30 years.  But after 18 years I'm moving on, all because of the uncertainly of what might happen to the visa rules etc in the future.

This weekend I fly to Luang Prabang to sign the rental contract on a cute house by the Mekong river. then relocate over the next month or so.

Laos is a communist state.  But I don't need to report every 90 days.  I don't need to report my address when I return from staying overnight at another location.  I don't need one Lao kip in the bank to get my 12 month visa, work permit and ID card......  the local community can benefit (in a very small way!) from me spending/saving my $3,000 each month in their town.

As I get older, I may have to relocate back to Europe again if I get serious health issues, (I have very good medical insurance, but Lao hospitals are 'basic').  But for now, I won't have to worry anymore about TM30s, 800,000 baht etc etc etc.

Not sure why you're quoting me in your ramblings. No, I've never claimed that it won't happen in the future. It might, but for now there's no indication that they're planning it. The poster hinted at him believing that the new insurance rule applies to everyone on retirement extensions. I simply responded that this isn't the case. End of story.

• Like 1

in thailand you can buy every thing . you may surely have £ to look for a nurse or lady willing to look after you. just give her the money she need and she will look after you if you have good intention you will find that person. you can not stay alone in old age in thailand with limited $

37 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Do you really think that this will not change in the future?  IMHO, one reason why many expats are considering moving to another country (or returning home) is the complete lack of consistency of the visa rules and how they are applied at each immigration office.

Maybe they will do this, maybe they will do that, maybe I can do this, maybe I can't..... and so on and so on.

Sometimes I feel like giving the whole visa and reporting system a hard slap around the face and shouting "MAKE YOUR MIND UP!!"

It's this uncertainly that's causing expats to move, not necessarily the actual implication of new rules.

I'm 60 now. I could maybe stay in Thailand another 20-30 years.  But after 18 years I'm moving on, all because of the uncertainly of what might happen to the visa rules etc in the future.

This weekend I fly to Luang Prabang to sign the rental contract on a cute house by the Mekong river. then relocate over the next month or so.

Laos is a communist state.  But I don't need to report every 90 days.  I don't need to report my address when I return from staying overnight at another location.  I don't need one Lao kip in the bank to get my 12 month visa, work permit and ID card......  the local community can benefit (in a very small way!) from me spending/saving my $3,000 each month in their town.

As I get older, I may have to relocate back to Europe again if I get serious health issues, (I have very good medical insurance, but Lao hospitals are 'basic').  But for now, I won't have to worry anymore about TM30s, 800,000 baht etc etc etc.

You don't have to do 90 day reports (they can be done for you easily).  You don't have to report your address when staying overnight (some exceptions but certainly not the rule). Will you stay in any country without money in the bank?  Not me.  I've been here 20 years and one slight rule change that does not effect me.  So I guess it comes down to secondary motives.  I only complain if I think I can do something about it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaiboss said:

in thailand you can buy every thing . you may surely have £ to look for a nurse or lady willing to look after you. just give her the money she need and she will look after you if you have good intention you will find that person. you can not stay alone in old age in thailand with limited $

i know many ladies +50 + willing to take care old farang  for 10.000 thai baht per month  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dario said:

But I think airports do this upon request and payment by the airline. Nothing is free in this world, definitely not at world airports.

Correct. Therefore no airline is preferable. They all get you a wheelchair at Bkk. Don't bank on it in Muscat or Munich on arrival.

depend on you health iam 70 and 3 years ago my father came and stayed with myself and wife and we travelled to chaing mai about 600 k from my home and various other places for the nearly 4 weeks he was here !he ate thai food for most of the time something he had not had before and he was 89 and at 92 he is still going strong in the UK

• Like 2

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What about the other countries bordering Thailand, also other countries in Asia like The Philipines compared to Thailand.

Also, what other countries if any, has retirees doing these nonsensical 90 day reports?

What is better in the neighboring countries or Philippines? They also change their rules at the drop of a hat if it is to their advantage. Plus these countries are still very backward. Healthcare?  90 day report is no issue for me. I go on a break and visit another country. Have done this for 15 years.

8 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

One thing there are places to rent but finding one that will take older people not working are hard to find.  

rents would be a huge cost and most old people would be returning home due to short of money i expect.

Just about everyone I talk to think they are going to drop dead. Over the last two years here I have had two of my friends fall sick. One had a serious infection and the other cancer. They have both been declining slowly - like the long good-bye and, they are both nearly broke. Just to add things to the mix, a few more of my friends are using agents for the Visas as they don't make the 800K, and they have nowhere to go. At the most they make 35K a month and must have been lying for years on the income verification form. Just the curse of getting old and having no funds is going to be the fact they are going to be driven out. Do you want to put yourself in such a position where you have not even the money to go home and that a high building looks like the best option out? Not sufficient planning goes into this thinking about your old age and for many, they are not going to have the big dollars needed to retire here to end of life. I have a guaranteed pension here for life, and I am afraid it will not be adequate to see me out. My wife will have to be my care giver but who knows depending on how infirm you become during the later stages psychically or mentally, that they can they cope with it? Costs big dollars getting old. You need to think about it.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:49 PM, from the home of CC said:

the decision would be a lot easier if we all knew our end date..

Would you really like to know your "expiration date?"

No thanks, it's better not to know when to go. 

15 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Costs big dollars getting old. You need to think about it.

I'm curious as to why you mention it.  What do your friends do when you tell them?  Do they rush home to the nanny state?  Or do you only tell people on an anonymous forum?

I knew 20 years ago that it would be a good idea to transfer my financial assets to a Thai bank and have almost doubled my money but If I tell anyone on this forum I get lynched with warnings about the danger of Thai banks and the solid future of Western currencies and folks tell me I'm bragging.  

I never tell anyone what to do.  No good deed goes unpunished. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What do your friends do when you tell them?  Do they rush home to the nanny state?  Or do you only tell people on an anonymous forum?

Yes, I have told them outright when they have come to me asking for short term loans to pull them out the shit to go home. Problem is they cannot go home - that's the point.

5 hours ago, geisha said:

If anyone is getting on in age here, alone, and low funds, I would definitely advise going back home while you can .Giving yourself time to sort out the new way of life there, and arriving say in April, when weather gets better. 

Not sure what country you are from , but my "back home" is the USA.  Plus if you are alone and have low funds, better sort things right here in Thailand

With what my income is now, I would have to live in a travel trailer in a state like Arkansas, or the middle of the desert, or as Chris Farley used to say "In a van down by the river". 

My cost of living here is very reasonable so far even with health insurance.  USA of course has no universal healthcare.  Monthly Medicare co-payments will be more than I pay for healthcare in Thailand.  

The future is uncertain and the end is always near  -  everyone has to or will have to deal with it

• Like 1

I think for the main stay, for the Brits and the Aussies; it is the health care. If you own your own place in OZ with the currency being in the toilet, you are ahead. If you are renting, you will be behind unless you are living in a one-horse town where the rent is cheaper.

Most of my friends in Thailand are over their mid 70s now. A few have the dollars to stay, other do not. It will be interesting to see as the years pass what everyone does, so maybe I can learn for it all.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 3:39 AM, dcnx said:

This is one of the reasons I’m leaving. Ending up stuck or forced out of Thailand when I’m too old to move is a nightmare waiting to happen. I’m not going to take that risk when it’s not necessary. 

There are plenty of countries that welcome foreigners and give residency fairly easy without endless immigration nonsense.

My only regret is not leaving years ago. All that wasted time could have been put towards getting PR or even citizenship elsewhere. 

Thailand is a black hole that gives you nothing in return. A terrible life and time investment beyond a certain age.

https://www.retirepedia.com/retire-in-ecuador-culture.html

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

What is better in the neighboring countries or Philippines? They also change their rules at the drop of a hat if it is to their advantage. Plus these countries are still very backward. Healthcare?  90 day report is no issue for me. I go on a break and visit another country. Have done this for 15 years.

"90 day report is no issue for me". ☹️

There are some wise comments here, but if you return to your country of origin, what are you going back to? The world you left probably no longer exists. What is it going to cost?

Stay here and there is the chaotic unpredictable inconsistency of the changeable visa rules and how they are applied at each immigration office.

Sadly the Thai requirement for health insurance is likely going to make the decision for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Would you really like to know your "expiration date?"

No thanks, it's better not to know when to go. 

Not knowing is like being deported. 

You are going about your daily business, then you are taken to the airport to be deported to a place you have never been before.

Instead knowing the date  is as if you,ve been given the dates on the return ticket for a trip you know you have to take. 

Personally I would like to prepare give away my belongings. 

Be generous knowing I that I have the facolty to do so, and savour the enjoyment from it.

The whole idea of being able to budget for a set date would make life stress free. Maybe I am worrying today but I won,t be here tomorrow.  Maybe I have overspent and going to pay for it with the years I hadnt bargained for.

I could leave having paid all, gifted who I want and spent all, down to the last penny

Again the expiry date on the soles of your feet resolves everything. Who wants to know looks, who doesn,t want to know doesnt look. 

A "best by date" wouldnt have been bad either :-))

Edited by bigginhill

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That is not correct. If you can find it, go back and read it again.

The old lady was not kicked out at all. She had been granted a retirement extension using the 800k method. It was the family, chiefly her daughter who made the decision to move her mother to the Philippines.

As I recall, the mother was on a retirement extension based on monthly income method, not the 800k method.

I bring it up not to nitpick your post, but to make a few points:

Based upon what the daughter was quoted as saying in the press reports, the daughter had obtained an income verification (liar's letter) from the U.S. embassy by affirming that her mother had the required income based upon the fact that the daughter was paying the cost of the mother's care, i.e., the daughter tried to recharacterize "support" as "income", likely because it was "easier" to get a liar's letter rather than to get the mother an extension as the daughter's dependent, which she clearly was since the daughter was paying for her care

In the TV thread, several posters pointed out that the mother would have been able to get an extension as a dependent of the daughter.

From what I read, and I read several press reports as well as most of the thread, the daughter jumped without understanding all of the options and then tried to paint "Thailand" as the bad guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Not initially, but I believe that if after a period you can prove that you will be "habitually resident" and you are a British Citizen you can go back into the NHS system. 

To refine that further, below is the original legal definition.

A person who is regarded as ordinarily resident in the UK is eligible for free treatment by the NHS. A person is 'ordinarily resident' for this purpose if lawfully living in the UK for a settled purpose as part of the regular order of his or her life for the time being. 

Edited by chash

9 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Just about everyone I talk to think they are going to drop dead. Over the last two years here I have had two of my friends fall sick. One had a serious infection and the other cancer. They have both been declining slowly - like the long good-bye and, they are both nearly broke. Just to add things to the mix, a few more of my friends are using agents for the Visas as they don't make the 800K, and they have nowhere to go. At the most they make 35K a month and must have been lying for years on the income verification form. Just the curse of getting old and having no funds is going to be the fact they are going to be driven out. Do you want to put yourself in such a position where you have not even the money to go home and that a high building looks like the best option out? Not sufficient planning goes into this thinking about your old age and for many, they are not going to have the big dollars needed to retire here to end of life. I have a guaranteed pension here for life, and I am afraid it will not be adequate to see me out. My wife will have to be my care giver but who knows depending on how infirm you become during the later stages psychically or mentally, that they can they cope with it? Costs big dollars getting old. You need to think about it.

i agree very depressing thought for many people. i have the money but no care giver or family back home in my own country. i am not that old yet and still quite fit and healthy but who knows that can soon change. i do give old age a little thought.

22 hours ago, Apache704 said:

Sir, I am 73 years old and I also have to leave Thailand due to the ever increasing changes with Immigration and with no health insurance which I did have before the Army took over. Ecuador is my next destination with a minimal amount of money per month($800) US and for each dependent $100 more plus they have health care for less than $100 per month for a couple and a Senior have discounts on everything. The rents are cheap, also the food, the climate is better. Also you can own land there as a foreigner but they are a lot more expensive than Thailand. Cuenco has the largest expat population (up to 8000) with English being spoken almost everywhere compared to none elsewhere. There are plenty of restaurants that can cater to whomever. I'll be going there from Canada in November and staying 60 days in Cuenca. I'm sure that I can pick up Spanish a lot easier than Thai. Take a good look at getting a Pension Visa from Ecuador you won't have to go back to England for Health care. If you would like to e-mail me for more information I will gladly send it to you.

please do let us all know how it all goes with the move there, im sure a lot of us would like to know and possibly, end up following you there.

• Like 2