Old age when you are too old to travel

20 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Not initially, but I believe that if after a period you can prove that you will be "habitually resident" and you are a British Citizen you can go back into the NHS system. 

i think you are correct i some some people gone back home and i think they had to wait about 6 months, now there getting treated.

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Which country are you referring to here? I went back to the UK in 2011 for three months during the floods. just rented a bedsit.

I'm not sure though if that would be the case now.

I wonder how easy it would be for someone in his seventies to get accomodation in the UK now with all

these immigrants there.

hi, i may have to go back to the UK for a few months can i ask you where and how you found your bedsit. thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I knew 20 years ago that it would be a good idea to transfer my financial assets to a Thai bank and have almost doubled my money but If I tell anyone on this forum I get lynched with warnings about the danger of Thai banks and the solid future of Western currencies and folks tell me I'm bragging.  

I never tell anyone what to do.  No good deed goes unpunished. 

Can't disagree about the no good deed part, but otherwise your statement certainly sounds like bragging. It'd ring a lot more true if you were to just admit you got lucky on the exchange rates. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

My wife knows the ATM pin numbers already and AFAIK she will be with me to the end. The house and land are in her name anyway and all I really own here is my clothes, pc and me old motorbike. I don't need anything else.

Far far too vulnerable if you have relinquished all your other assets too. I don't only worry about the Thai woman, but the Thai system!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Can't disagree about the no good deed part, but otherwise your statement certainly sounds like bragging. It'd ring a lot more true if you were to just admit you got lucky on the exchange rates. 

No luck at all.  The economic advice I received was sound and agreed with my assessment of the situation and I acted on it.  Not bragging anyone can read and buy into sources of information.  I used 2 guys one from Chiang Mai and the other Hong Kong.  That was my point.  Difficult to say anything without getting dissed.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No luck at all.  The economic advice I received was sound and agreed with my assessment of the situation and I acted on it.  Not bragging anyone can read and buy into sources of information.  I used 2 guys one from Chiang Mai and the other Hong Kong.  That was my point.  Difficult to say anything without getting dissed.  

This is because it always rings hollow when people claim in hindsight that they knew what the markets were going to do. If you transferred dollars 20 years ago, I guess you were cursing your advisors for the first couple of years while your investment dropped 25%.

1561507799258.jpg

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

I recently discovered, that having turned 80, some travel insurance companies reject you immediately.  Other have  such high premiums it makes travelling very expensive.  They insist on a doctor signing a multi-page document.

There are also one or two airlines which will not accept passengers over 80.  ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

As I recall, the mother was on a retirement extension based on monthly income method, not the 800k method.

I bring it up not to nitpick your post, but to make a few points:

Based upon what the daughter was quoted as saying in the press reports, the daughter had obtained an income verification (liar's letter) from the U.S. embassy by affirming that her mother had the required income based upon the fact that the daughter was paying the cost of the mother's care, i.e., the daughter tried to recharacterize "support" as "income", likely because it was "easier" to get a liar's letter rather than to get the mother an extension as the daughter's dependent, which she clearly was since the daughter was paying for her care

In the TV thread, several posters pointed out that the mother would have been able to get an extension as a dependent of the daughter.

From what I read, and I read several press reports as well as most of the thread, the daughter jumped without understanding all of the options and then tried to paint "Thailand" as the bad guy

Thanks for that. Yes, you could be right, but I'm not going to bother chasing the details on such a small matter.

Same applies of course. The old lady was not kicked out by immigration as suggested by @nickmondo

BTW, yours is the first post I've read that is so blunt regarding the true nature of the, now defunct. income affidavits.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

This is because it always rings hollow when people claim in hindsight that they knew what the markets were going to do. If you transferred dollars 20 years ago, I guess you were cursing your advisors for the first couple of years while your investment dropped 25%.

You miss a lot of stuff by always criticizing.  I'm old.  I don't take chances in love or investment.  I think I will live out my life in Thailand.  I can go back to America.  I think I'd make the flight in three stages or maybe a cruise liner from Japan.  From Alaska to Vancouver is $600 by boat.  I don't really want a long flight as my legs cramp up.  

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Far far too vulnerable if you have relinquished all your other assets too. I don't only worry about the Thai woman, but the Thai system!

That is just your opinion and not mine.

You know nothing about me, my wife and son or my Thai family.

I first met my wife 26 years ago in Bangkok and she has had plenty of opportunities to rip me off if she wanted to, so I figure after knowing each other for 26 years and 19 years of marriage, she is a keeper. 

The Thai system has been fair to me so why should I worry about it?

You must have been stung badly by a Thai lady because the attitude that I see in you is negative towards Thais and Thailand. A sort of glass half empty person

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You miss a lot of stuff by always criticizing.  I'm old.  I don't take chances in love or investment.  I think I will live out my life in Thailand.  I can go back to America.  I think I'd make the flight in three stages or maybe a cruise liner from Japan.  From Alaska to Vancouver is $600 by boat.  I don't really want a long flight as my legs cramp up.  

I'm 85 and a long flight would make my arms ache. The long cruise sounds nice unless you get tied up with a bunch of old buggers like yourself.????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

You must have been stung badly by a Thai lady because the attitude that I see in you is negative towards Thais and Thailand. A sort of glass half empty person

And of course you know nothing of me, but that doesn't stop you guessing. I have not been stung by a Thai yet. I simply have a cautious outlook. Continued good fortune to you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks for that. Yes, you could be right, but I'm not going to bother chasing the details on such a small matter.

Same applies of course. The old lady was not kicked out by immigration as suggested by @nickmondo

BTW, yours is the first post I've read that is so blunt regarding the true nature of the, now defunct. income affidavits.

Thanks for reading my post and taking the time to reply

As for the term 'liar's letter', I'm generally in favor of plain speaking except when speaking of spades for fear I might be made to use one! ????

Although I'd love to take credit for coining the phrase, I really can't; it's a term that came to prominence during the U.S. sub-prime housing crisis a decade or so back. Everyone involved in the mortgage game knew that an awful lot of people were lying about an awful lot of things, a musical chair of fraud, if you will, but most everyone involved moved to the music until the fiddler stopped playing. And then, just as now regarding embassy income statements, there was (is) much wailing and gnashing of teeth and loud cries of "unfair"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

Thanks for reading my post and taking the time to reply

As for the term 'liar's letter', I'm generally in favor of plain speaking except when speaking of spades for fear I might be made to use one! ????

Although I'd love to take credit for coining the phrase, I really can't; it's a term that came to prominence during the U.S. sub-prime housing crisis a decade or so back. Everyone involved in the mortgage game knew that an awful lot of people were lying about an awful lot of things, a musical chair of fraud, if you will, but most everyone involved moved to the music until the fiddler stopped playing. And then, just as now regarding embassy income statements, there was (is) much wailing and gnashing of teeth and loud cries of "unfair"

What’s the point to your rehash? old news, move on, no one gives a xxxx!

• Sad 2

On 6/25/2019 at 10:08 AM, RichardColeman said:

I am 55, my wife 41, are child 3. I own a house in the UK that I rent out to help with income

Looks like you are more clever as most of the Farang living here, sitting on bars and wonder how anyone can live with 40.000.-Baht per month ONLY ????
:
I know a lot of guys, just selling their houses in Europe and thinking everybody was waiting only for them in Thailaaaand.

Renting out property in Europe is by far better as selling everything. Thais never think about tomorrow, we should!

26 minutes ago, moskito said:

Renting out property in Europe is by far better as selling everything. Thais never think about tomorrow, we should!

It would depend where the property was, many houses in rural France are almost worthless and have no rental value.

I'm sure the rest of Europe is the same (Maybe not the UK).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

Australia.

I very much doubt they offer PR and free medical to a 90 year old non-Aussie. He may no longer be alive by the time he gets a reply. 

Apart from that, Australia is no lowcost country.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:39 PM, dcnx said:

This is one of the reasons I’m leaving. Ending up stuck or forced out of Thailand when I’m too old to move is a nightmare waiting to happen. I’m not going to take that risk when it’s not necessary. 

There are plenty of countries that welcome foreigners and give residency fairly easy without endless immigration nonsense.

My only regret is not leaving years ago. All that wasted time could have been put towards getting PR or even citizenship elsewhere. 

Thailand is a black hole that gives you nothing in return. A terrible life and time investment beyond a certain age.

You should not blame Thailand but yourself for not making proper provisions.

I've applied for citizenship to make it easy on my old age.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, bkk6060 said:

Very sad to hear such regrets and that you have wasted your life here.

Not sure however what you expect in return from a foreign country and I assume you are not a citizen.

I am older and do not think it is a terrible life at all on the contrary.

A lot of happiness is in ones mind and attitude.

Certainly hope you find no black holes in the future..

You completely misread what I said. It had nothing to do with happiness.

It was about time spent that could have been used towards residency and citizenship elsewhere. For example, 10 years in Thailand still leaves you scrambling for your next visa and check in. 10 years elsewhere will give you PR or citizenship.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

You should not blame Thailand but yourself for not making proper provisions.

I've applied for citizenship to make it easy on my old age.

I’m not even old enough for a retirement visa.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:32 AM, Tomahawk21 said:

please do let us all know how it all goes with the move there, im sure a lot of us would like to know and possibly, end up following you there.

Cuenca is very charming. If you’re considering South America, it’s at the top of the short list of safer and nice places.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Thailand is fun and games now for a lot of people. Wait until you’re 80+, not a citizen, and forced out because you can’t get insurance to cover you. Then you’re shown the door, thanks for playing, farang.

This year I have watched friends who are not insured in their late 70's pay out 2 million and the other a million at public hospitals, and it won't be the end of their bills. They almost are broke, but both have told me they would prefer to go home broke or dead, then to move back to England. It will be very interesting to see what transpires when they do go back to see how the system at home copes with them/if it copes with them. Yet I have an American living near me that is very sick (long term) but he has serious money and is having great medical treatment and lives in the arms of luxury. All comes down to the mighty dollar.

I am also too young yet to get a retirement visa as well. Yet I am planning my future now so I won't be in such a position. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Letseng said:

I very much doubt they offer PR and free medical to a 90 year old non-Aussie. He may no longer be alive by the time he gets a reply. 

Apart from that, Australia is no lowcost country.

I was replying to the comment "There are plenty of countries that welcome foreigners and give residency fairly easy without endless immigration nonsense." It said nothing about 90 year olds. The cost gap between Thailand and Australia is narrowing faster than you might think even before you take into account free medical treatment which my Thai partner is eligible for already!

My dad travelled to Germany at age 91 , to visit an old town he used to study in before the war. You are never to old to travel. Just need to avoid any diseases and keep yourself active.  

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dcnx said:

You completely misread what I said. It had nothing to do with happiness.

It was about time spent that could have been used towards residency and citizenship elsewhere. For example, 10 years in Thailand still leaves you scrambling for your next visa and check in. 10 years elsewhere will give you PR or citizenship.

10 years is enough here. What other countries are you taking about?

4 hours ago, balo said:

My dad travelled to Germany at age 91 , to visit an old town he used to study in before the war. You are never to old to travel. Just need to avoid any diseases and keep yourself active.  

Got my retirement extension this morning.  New record for me, 12 minutes.  Don't do 90 day reports myself so that a total of 12 minutes a year at the Immigration office (didn't ask me for any new stuff or to come back same old things).  So I'll stay another year.  Although all the negativity posted here has caused me to think.  So far I'm thinking of flying to Japan and then a boat to Alaska and a ferry to Vancouver.  I don't want to sit for a long plane ride and I think the boats would be fun.  I think I could make this trip when I'm quite old.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Thanks 1