Crackdown on Bangkok taxis: New fines for drivers who refuse passengers

webfact

Fines, fines, fines, fines, crackdown, crackdown, crackdown,crackdown... why am I still hearing this after the millionth crackdown.... Fines don't work !!!!

A lifetime ban is the only way to make them conform !

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

They say Suk Rd and Silom are bad for it, so why can't City Hall have inspectors down there trying to get a taxi and fine them if they wont accept ?  Simple answer ?  It requires work. Something Thai people don't want to do

The not wanting to work gose right along with my YouTube video 5 things i hate about my thai wife. 

19 hours ago, sherwood said:

Not easy being a Taxi driver, I only drove in Brisbane, Aust and that had its moments.

We did use the meter unless there was a special request for an extended hire.

If in Thailand I expect the meter to be used and most times it is.

Mind you I often refused to take passengers if I thought they where going to spew up in my Cab or where drunk to the eyeballs.

BKK traffic. well you can hardely blame the drivers for not wanting to brave that.

Its a job, and with it comes responsibility. In Thailand it means your not allowed to refuse rides.

26 minutes ago, firestar said:

Independant contractors like plumbers or electricians refuse jobs all the time... does that mean they have to stop being plumbers?

Anyway taxis would like nothing better than being able to go everywhere and make more money, how about for once looking higher up at the BMA and those who do the city planning with brown envelopes? For example taxis never refused to go where I live, a 8 story building was the highest condo, now only a few years later there is close to 20 high rises it is jammmed all the time and half the taxis refuse to go losing out on their fare it is not the taxis making a mess of the city

________

Plumbers and electricians are not required by law to accept rides, taxi's are so why compare them at all.

Its ironic that you complain about taxis not taking you anymore while by law they have to and shift the blame to traffic. If they don't want traffic dont work in Bangkok.

46 minutes ago, firestar said:

When the taxi is not moving they barely earn and most don't own the Taxi but rent them, so no they don't really get paid if they take one hour to do 5 miles

Really? In this random picture 7 out of 12 are driven by owner drivers.

IMG_7630.JPG.3483689b94efa8a8cd94ddaf6bb777d0.JPG

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there a capital city with cheaper taxis than Bangkok?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Or one whose taxi drivers spend less money or care on vital safety issues (such as tread on tyres).

Or one where the taxi drivers continually break the laws because the punishment is so low that it's worth the risk.

Draft law sees fine jump to Bt5,000 for taxi drivers who refuse passengers

By The Nation

n9.jpg

Taxi drivers who refuse passengers, as well as their respective taxi garage owners, will be subject to heavier fines under a new law created from merging and revising two previous outdated laws.

Department of Land Transport (DLT) deputy director-general Thanee Suebreuk said on Monday that the new law, which comes from merging the Vehicle Act of 1979 and the Land Transport Act of 1979, will still include the passenger-refusing offence but with the punishment hiked from the current Bt2,000 maximum fine to a Bt5,000 fine for the taxi drivers. 

The associated taxi garage would also be subject to a Bt50,000 maximum fine, he added. 

The hiked fines aim to bring the punishment in line with that imposed on other public transportation, including tour buses and public transport vans, he said.

Thanee said the new law, still being drafted by the DLT, would also allow officials to suspend the driver's licence of a passenger-refusing cabbie for 15-30 days, and require completion of a three-hour training course on providing public transport services.

The authority would also be allowed to suspend the licence of a repeat offender for three to six months, and to revoke the licence of a driver committing an assault or other crime, Thanee added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371709

thenation_logo.jpg

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Department of Land Transport (DLT) deputy director-general Thanee Suebreuk said on Monday that the new law, which comes from merging the Vehicle Act of 1979 and the Land Transport Act of 1979, will still include the passenger-refusing offence but with the punishment hiked from the current Bt2,000 maximum fine to a Bt5,000 fine for the taxi drivers. 

The associated taxi garage would also be subject to a Bt50,000 maximum fine, he added. 

Hmm, great idea. That's about it.

Where in Thailand will they find someone to enforce the law - new and existing ones?

Police are too busy playing at doing nothing, apart from their own money making scams.

If you need a taxi and want the meter, either use Grab or stop a policeman and ask him to flag down a taxi or simply hail the taxi while you're talking to them. 

At peak times in Sukhumvit and PatPong there are usually police around. 

Thai cabbies always use the metre when they know a policeman is watching.

This trick only works in Bangkok though and not Pattaya, where the cops couldn't give a s***

On 6/24/2019 at 5:54 AM, aussie11950 said:

What's the point if the 1584 hotline do not speak English. 

They wanted a Thai to speak to them when i rang 2 weeks ago?

Crazy. 

The point is they aren't very concerned with non-Thai passengers. 

20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Really? In this random picture 7 out of 12 are driven by owner drivers.

IMG_7630.JPG.3483689b94efa8a8cd94ddaf6bb777d0.JPG

Green/yellow taxis are 'individually' owned, not 'driver' owned.  You'll find that many, if not most, are leased/rented from the owner.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:54 AM, aussie11950 said:

What's the point if the 1584 hotline do not speak English. 

They wanted a Thai to speak to them when i rang 2 weeks ago?

Crazy. 

And if you can produce the Thai speaker...they want licence tag number. Color of taxi. Exact time. The driver's name and address. Well maybe not the last one but you get the drift. Ridiculous Thailand. :1zgarz5:

15 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

And if you can produce the Thai speaker...they want licence tag number. Color of taxi. Exact time. The driver's name and address. Well maybe not the last one but you get the drift. Ridiculous Thailand. :1zgarz5:

Not ridiculous how are they going to find the taxi without any details ? So if your going to complain just take pictures of the licenseplate of the taxi or the guys taxi card. How do you expect them to do their job. 

Archived