Will Phone With No Credit Be Able to Receive SMS?

So I just got a burner phone to just receive business messages, not send. If someone sends me an SMS will I be able to receive it, even when there is no credit left? Or do I have to keep a minimum amount of credit on the phone to get the messages.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

you not need to have credit on your phone to receive messages, BUT your mobile number need to be still active, which means you have to refill from time to time so the number will stay active.

Only go into a mobile shop and buy the cheapest phone you can find.

Or if you have a dual sim then you can use both SIM at the same time.

About abroad, only take care you activate roaming for the Thai SIM!

38 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I'm about to get a phone for this very reason - does anyone know the cheapest phone to get that will take a nano sim that was in an iPhone 6s - purely to receive messages that's it. 

I didn't really want to pay 5000+ for an iPhone 5 to sit in a draw 99% of its life but not aware of others that will suit

Ta

Or get the cheapest phone you can get that takes any sort of SIM and get something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enjoy-Nano-Micro-Sim-Adapter/dp/B00APXTYYU

Does NOT have to be a "smart phone" but for use in Thailand do make sure the phone is 3G not just 2G as 2G is being or has been switched off all over Thailand.

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

Only go into a mobile shop and buy the cheapest phone you can find.

Or if you have a dual sim then you can use both SIM at the same time.

About abroad, only take care you activate roaming for the Thai SIM!

I go to Vietnam from time to time, here's what I've set up with AIS, where I've had a simple phone package for many years;  roaming is turned on but what's also active is that charging for roaming has a maximum limit of zero Baht.

(I asked about what I could setup at the AIS big office at Central Festival Chiang Mai to get OTP in another country, abrupt answer was 'set up 24 hr roaming', no other option. Later I called the AIS call center and the pleasant lady helped me set up what's in the paragraph above.)

When I use K Bank or BBL internet banking I set up the transaction (e.g. transfer funds to my son's bank account with a Thai bank, pay a bill e.g. 3BB, I check my phone is turned on (same sim as issued from AIS yonks ago) then click on confirm on the internet banking screen. Within 1 or 2 seconds I get the OPT on my phone and it's (as normal) then in my messages list.

I've done transactions like this maybe 20 times, never a problem in any way.

The small downside is that after the OPT comes through I quickly get more SMS messages from AIS asking if I want to confirm a paid roaming package. I ignore these messages and just turn my phone off. Turn on again when I want to do another internet banking transfer.

Another example, when in Vietnam I want to make a flight booking with Lion Air or whoever, set up all the booking details, turn on my smartphone, click on pay by credit card then type in the credit card details (Thai bank). Credit card processing begins then a box indicating request an OTP password shows and I click on the box, within 1 or 2 seconds I get an SMS message on my phone, insert the OTP on the screen to pay for the flight ticket. All done. Turn my phone off again.

For live phone calls / video chat calls I use LINE. 

Archived