Motorcycle taxi riders, cabbies petition officials, parties over Grab legalisation

snoop1130

Motorcycle taxi riders, cabbies petition officials, parties over Grab legalisation

By The Nation

74fd8ef23269bd2dcfd43606406e6c66.jpeg

Thirty representatives of Thai motorcycle-taxi riders on Monday petitioned the Land Transport Department (LTD), calling for remedial measures from the impact caused by Grab taxi-motorbike services.

At the same time, a large group of Bangkok cabbies crowded outside the Bhumjaithai Party head office to petition party leader Anutin Charnvirakul to provide remedial aid in the likely event that Singapore-based Grab Taxi’s operations in Thailand are legalised.

The two groups’ moves were in response to recent comments made by two high-profile individuals. 

LTD deputy director-general Kamon Buranapong had on June 20 said his agency was prepared to push for the legalisation of Grab services and set up a legal team to study the feasibility of amending related regulations and laws to that effect, as per the incoming transport minister’s policy under the new government. 

Anutin had earlier commented about one of Bhumjaithai’s executives being on a list to serve as transport minister, and had said that the party would push for ministerial regulations to support the legalisation of Grab services as it had promised during the pre-election period.

Chalerm Changthongmadan, chairman of the Hired Motorcycle Taxi Drivers Association, led 30 of his members to submit a petition at the LTD head office via deputy director-general Jantira Burutpat, calling for clarity regarding the preparation of remedial measures for motorcycle taxi drivers affected by such legal moves. 

“We have been cooperating with the authorities over the past five years, but our repeated calls for help to tackle the issue of illegal services by Grab have got no concrete response... Now, with the new government still in the making and not yet official, the Land Transport Department told the press that they’re ready to respond to the new policy,” he said. 

“Instead of enforcing the law on the wrongdoers, the LTD went ahead to amend regulations to benefit the foreign investors who broke the law and created disunity among Thais,” he added.

Jantira said she would take the association’s petition into consideration, but insisted that people were wrong in their belief that officials had turned a deaf ear to this issue. 

Officials in related agencies have been studying the overall impacts on taxi and motorcycle-taxi operations, as well as on passengers, to ensure benefits and justice for all sides, she explained.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Taxi Cooperatives Network chairman Withoon Naewpanich led a large number of members to camp outside the Bhumjaithai Party head office and submit their own petition to Anutin, via party official Suriyong Hunthasarn.

The petition called for remedial measures for taxi drivers who would be negatively affected by the legalisation of Grab Taxi.

Suriyong said he would pass the group’s petition to Anutin as soon as possible, as the party was willing to hear inputs from all sides in order to create useful policies.

Withoon said the LTD and police had on many occasions also failed to offer clarity about this issue.

However, if Bhumjaithai – whose representative was expected to serve as transport minister in the new Cabinet – offered clarity in regard to taxi-service development, his group would be willing to cooperate in order to boost customer satisfaction, as long as cabbies also had appropriate incomes that covered their costs. 

If the Grab Taxi service-legalisation policy negatively affected cab drivers, there must also be remedial measures to assist them, he insisted. 

The group had earlier in the day submitted a petition to the LTD, and intended later to petition Palang Pracharath leader Uttama Savanayana, whose group of politicians would soon be the core political party supporting General Prayut Chan-o-cha as prime minister in the next administration.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30371642

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-24

15 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“Instead of enforcing the law on the wrongdoers, the LTD went ahead to amend regulations to benefit the foreign investors who broke the law and created disunity among Thais,” he added.

So is he saying that Thais are gullible and easily manipulated, in order to create disunity amongst themselves?

It's Thais who are doing the all the driving, operating the vehicles and the booking system. No one's forcing them into anything are they?

"Disunity among Thais" ... Lol. I would judge by the popularity of Grab that the Thais are pretty united in their approval of it. 

I wonder how many Taxi drivers have these warm fuzzy feelings of unity with their fellow Thais when they refuse a fare on a soaking wet Monday on Silom or Sukhumvit leaving their country folk cursing in the rain. 

So the cabbies, the motorcycle taxi riders and the song taew drivers (all of them not well known for decent service to their customers) want their minority interests protected against the interest of the far bigger majority of their countryman and farangs?

TIT

and if they win: TIT again

This could be interesting ???? the departments involved wont have a clue how to deal with this other than the Thai way, which isn't going to work in this instance - too many big international players. ????????

The official tuk tuk, bike and taxi cheats and crooks of Thailand are scared ?  The official Thai Taxi et Co. are just a bunch of crooks who have been cheating customers with the fares and meter refusal for years. They have contributed to give a disastrous image of Thailand towards foreign visitors who bring in good money. If the government gives in to the Official Thai Taxi mafia, it means that the government is weak and is protecting a bunch of mafia minded criminals who run the official Taxi/bike and tuktuks in Thailand.

Let GRAB operate in peace ... with GRAB, taxi cannot cheat customer....remember that.

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

I downloaded the Grab app - only it appears in thai. You can change the language each time you use it (in parts) but it reverts back when you leave the app so its a <deleted> nuisance. When I raised it with them they replied saying they are aware and are working on their 'valuable international customers' - until they do its next to kin useless!

Same for everyone ?

Grab App works fine in Thailand for android,  including English.  Same program that i can use in Malay... Make sure you are downloading the right app from playstore?

It´s called competition, guys! It´s nothing new. Like was the thing that actually slowly killed the mafias grip on the gambling scene in Las Vegas, Nevada in the late 1960´s.

The mafia couldn´t fight competition, nor can you, You can´t fight competition! You can try, but you can´t win. Like running into the wall 60 times, and still ask why it hurts.

The only people insisting that grab is a problem are the old fashioned taxi drivers. I see major grab advertisements everywhere so it can't be that illegal. The only thing that the traditional drivers have conjured up is a few threatening signs at transport hubs warning travelers that Grab is illegal and beating up grab drivers, who are all fellow Thais. 

I rarely have problems with taxis. Yes it is a nuisance on Sukhumvit after the BTS closes but that has to be factored into the evening plan.

Grab drivers can refuse fares just as normal taxi drivers can if they are not close or don't want to go there. 

I find the key is to tell the driver the district first then get into details after.

A rotten taxi structure in Thailand is not a problem.  It is an indication of a much bigger problem.

A weak ineffective government - "supported" by a useless, corrupt police force has allowed the evolvement of a massive criminally-based industry.

It becomes a joke when you read headlines about the number of illegal taxis in operation but no arrests, the common knowledge about meters never being used, drivers carrying weapons, refusing fares and lethal turf warfares.

General nuisance and his short side-kick said FIVE years ago they would clean stuff like this up 5 years ago.

Annnnnd - - - - - ?

1 minute ago, Lenny Jones said:

A rotten taxi structure in Thailand

When added all together Bangkok has one of the best public transport systems in a the world. Buses go everywhere, Taxis are reasonably priced and they are everywhere. Sure there are none when it rains but that is normal. Driver doesn't want to go where you want say thank you and wait for the next one.. There are lots.

Try getting a taxi in Melbourne as an example. I had to run to catch one at a red light.

In Bangkok we are spoilt and assume it is normal.

3 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

A rotten taxi structure in Thailand is not a problem.  It is an indication of a much bigger problem.

A weak ineffective government - "supported" by a useless, corrupt police force has allowed the evolvement of a massive criminally-based industry.

It becomes a joke when you read headlines about the number of illegal taxis in operation but no arrests, the common knowledge about meters never being used, drivers carrying weapons, refusing fares and lethal turf warfares.

General nuisance and his short side-kick said FIVE years ago they would clean stuff like this up 5 years ago.

Annnnnd - - - - - ?

Ha ha! I like that phrase.

Perhaps even 'his short side-stand', as he appears to be 'supporting' the nuisance factor?

Just now, jerojero said:

Taxi guys, just keep on refusing fares and no meter. Goodbye to you and hello Grab! Competition is a good thing.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, competition here means the established group will lose out, leading to a loss of face and therefore violence, as we've seen already.

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

When added all together Bangkok has one of the best public transport systems in a the world. Buses go everywhere, Taxis are reasonably priced and they are everywhere. Sure there are none when it rains but that is normal. Driver doesn't want to go where you want say thank you and wait for the next one.. There are lots.

Try getting a taxi in Melbourne as an example. I had to run to catch one at a red light.

And then what when you get out of the capital are all cities just as spoilt relitive to their size and population?

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It is this sort of thinking that scares the shit out of me, and not only in Thailand.

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

They have contributed to give a disastrous image of Thailand towards foreign visitors who bring in good money. If the government gives in to the Official Thai Taxi mafia, it means that the government is weak and is protecting a bunch of mafia minded criminals who run the official Taxi/bike and tuktuks in Thailand.

Let GRAB operate in peace ... with GRAB, taxi cannot cheat customer....remember that.

Meanwhile, people in Thailand want and need to get around as efficiently and conveniently as they can.  

There is still a very big need for mass transit of smaller type vehicles in many locations, some sort of mini bus/truck style that is safe, organized and fair.  
To continue this roaming ant - traffic jamming, pollution, unsafe, uncomfortable accident causing madness is just plain stupidity and lacks vision and leadership.   

13 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Oh dear.

We don't like competition, says the taxi mafia of Thailand.

tough luck, boys. 

With regards to the cabbies - It's not even competition in this case: Grab is a service which any regular cab driver can use. And in fact, I'd wager most people use Grab Taxi rather than the more expensive GrabCar, Limo etc. The flag fall, rate, and everything is the same. Even the off peak booking fee (20 Baht) is the same as the Radio taxi fee. I suspect that these cabbies are just not aware of what Grab is and think it's like Uber or something.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Instead of enforcing the law on the wrongdoers, the LTD went ahead to amend regulations to benefit the foreign investors who broke the law and created disunity among Thais,” he added.

Whereas moto taxi drivers rioting and killing people passing by is fine and dandy, eh..

56 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Grab drivers can refuse fares just as normal taxi drivers can if they are not close or don't want to go there. 

Thats true, I have had a number of declines after they have already accepted the routing. 

Still, I find Grab to be a godsend especially if I want to do a longer journey such as Cheang Wattana.

58 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Try Ho Chi Minh. They might not have a BTS or MRT, but taxis are easy to flag down or order on their Grab app. They have Grab bikes everywhere too. Prices are shown before. Was a real pleasure compared to Bangkok. 

32 minutes ago, SABloke said:

With regards to the cabbies - It's not even competition in this case: Grab is a service which any regular cab driver can use. And in fact, I'd wager most people use Grab Taxi rather than the more expensive GrabCar, Limo etc. The flag fall, rate, and everything is the same. Even the off peak booking fee (20 Baht) is the same as the Radio taxi fee. I suspect that these cabbies are just not aware of what Grab is and think it's like Uber or something.

I don't see an option for Grab Taxi or Limo on the App.  Only Grab Car or Grab Motorcycle.

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Try Ho Chi Minh. They might not have a BTS or MRT, but taxis are easy to flag down or order on their Grab app. They have Grab bikes everywhere too. Prices are shown before. Was a real pleasure compared to Bangkok. 

Using Google Maps, the local buses were easy to use if going anywhere along their routes.  The money takers on the bus were quite helpful with directions and where to get off.  

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

And then what when you get out of the capital are all cities just as spoilt relitive to their size and population?

Just like any country the availability of taxis in non urban areas will depend on demand. If demand is there so will the taxis be. 

You can't simply flag down a taxi in say Ipatinga Brazil or Oxford Uk or  Surrey BC Canada.

If decides to live in a quiet town one has to expect the downside of quiet as well as any upside.

26 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Try Ho Chi Minh. They might not have a BTS or MRT, but taxis are easy to flag down 

Yep. same all over Bangkok, even out in the burbs.

But they might not want to go downtown BKK. The key is to plan a journey. My running mates have discovered that flitting between Central Department/Tesco Lotus store locations works. Then you get to one that is close enough to downtown and bingo.

12 hours ago, Benroon said:

I downloaded the Grab app - only it appears in thai. You can change the language each time you use it (in parts) but it reverts back when you leave the app so its a <deleted> nuisance. When I raised it with them they replied saying they are aware and are working on their 'valuable international customers' - until they do its next to kin useless!

Same for everyone ?

No problem with english on my iPhone. 

Archived