Comparing Long Stay VISA Health Insurance with Normal Policy

ianezy0

Although not yet legalised, Pacific Cross and others have now released health insurance plans in accordance with the requirements of the Non-Immigrant O-A Long Stay Visa.

Click on the link for info on PC website: https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/

For Pacific Cross:-

Plans have been approved by Thailand Immigration.

Entry age up to 75 years of age.

There are 3 choices of plans. Platinum 1, 2 and 3.

I note that the out-patient maximum coverage on the Platinum 1 plan (Least cover) is 45,000 baht.

However, this isn't cover to include one visit. As the next line in the plan states: I visit per day/30 visits per year = 1,500 baht per day maximum claim.

For information:

I have the Maxima Plus policy which covers out-patient 3,000 per day with unlimited visits per year.

In addition, cover for in-patient on the Platinum 1 plan is 420,500 baht. Not a huge amount. This will soon disappear if you are admitted to a hospital for any amount of days.

To sum up, people should be aware of the cost of this insurance in comparison with the normal policy costs.

Example (for 61 year old), I pay approx. 52K per year for my policy, which includes 3,000,000 in-patient. The minimum Long Stay policy (Platinum 1) is 51K+ per year.

I should mention that my policy excludes the first 40k on a claim.

I thought the above was worth a mention to hear other peoples thoughts.

Cheers

2 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

In addition, cover for in-patient on the Platinum 1 plan is 420,500 baht. Not a huge amount.

How do you know it's not a huge amount, what are you planning to have wrong with you.?

What do people over 75 do.?

12 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Question 1. 

Was thinking of a long term illness with ongoing treatment. 

I agree with you. The policies and cover put forward for the new O-A requirement are severely lacking for true health insurance cover.

I would also suggest that even your 3m baht cover is potentially quite low. Most International plans have cover starting at $500k US with $1m often the norm.

I had a Coronary Angiogram last week. A common procedure for anyone with heart disease.  In most Countries this is an out patient procedure.  

Here in Thailand, it requires a 3 day hospital stay. I am covered by the Thai Gov. 

I opted for a private room that cost B1200/day of which the Gov pain 1000/day.

The total bill was B52000.

My point, B3000/day is just not enough. You need at least 1 million.

hernia surgery i had no insurance had 3 choices

bangkok hospital 250.000 thai baht

Bumrungrad 600.000 thai baht

chinese hospital hua chiew 50.000 thai baht

finaly went to prama 9 provincial hospital in city petchaburi total  cost surgery including 3 days stay

14.000.-- thai baht this hospital is a non profit government hospital

now nowadays i have again some hernie inguinal problems .... this time i get cured from chinese hospital with chinese medicine cost per week medication  thai baht 1450 doctor fees 260 no surgery only chinese herbs.

hua chiew exept accident surgery heals you near from everything with acupuncture + chinese medicine herbs.

if you are over 65 check your life style eat vegetarian no alcool no smoking and go to chinese doc medicine bangkok you do not need those costly insurance for 60.000.-- thai baht take a accident insurance for 4000 thia baht   kasikorn for exemple.

the insurance here in thai do not pay you once you over 65 they will find pre condition if you get cancer go to chinese herbs hospital or go to the universe

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I had a Coronary Angiogram last week. A common procedure for anyone with heart disease.  In most Countries this is an out patient procedure.  

Here in Thailand, it requires a 3 day hospital stay. I am covered by the Thai Gov. 

My hospital wanted me to stay 5 days after a peri anal abscess drainage. I went home morning of day 3. My insurance were amazed at the cost of 88000 all in. 

41 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote, "I should mention that my policy excludes the first 40k on a claim."  Then your policy will not meet the new long stay requirements.  

That is a very good point. I am in the process of asking them this ATM. Just waiting for a reply.

Cheers

I have been researching medical plans recently.

I am AMAZED at the difference in premiums, for similar plans, according to company!!!

And what is more interesting, is that the more the company advertises, the higher their rates by a factor of up to three times!!!

It really is going to take some long hard work to find an a reasonably priced policy to cover all that I require.

Will report back.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If it was a hospital stay then it would be in-patient and the 3mill would cover it? Cheers

If you compare the Pacific Cross normal plans against their new platinum plans, I recommend going with the plans that were already in existence. e.g. Standard Plus offers EXACTLY the same coverage ( with the exception of 2 items ) as Platinum 1 and it's less expensive than Platinum 1.

18 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Question 1. 

Was thinking of a long term illness with ongoing treatment. 

Question 2. 

Good question. Not one I can answer I am afraid.

Cheers

Well get a full on medical check before you come here or get one when you come to stay, it's not difficult.

Ques 1.  Out patient care is available in gov hospitals.

Ques 2.  I'm covered until 80 if I stay fit they will cover me further, typical.

8 hours ago, thaiboss said:

finaly went to prama 9 provincial hospital in city petchaburi total  cost surgery including 3 days stay

14.000.-- thai baht this hospital is a non profit government hospital

It would sure be useful for the rest of us to have a list of 'non-profit' hospitals everywhere in Thailand. All new medical graduates get sent to hospitals in the provinces. You'll get dedicated care there.

If you compare the Pacific Cross normal plans against their new platinum plans, I recommend going with the plans that were already in existence. e.g. Standard Plus offers EXACTLY the same coverage ( with the exception of 2 items ) as Platinum 1 and it's less expensive than Platinum 1.

Right, but the normal plans don’t qualify for Non O-A and O-X.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, CLS said:

Right, but the normal plans don’t qualify for Non O-A and O-X.

The Standard Plan doesn't meet the minimum requirements, but EVERY other Pacific Cross Plan does. Standard Plus meets the minimum requirements for both Non O-A & O-X ( viz. 400k IP & 40k OP ) the other plans all exceed these minimum requirements.

The Standard Plan doesn't meet the minimum requirements, but EVERY other Pacific Cross Plan does. Standard Plus meets the minimum requirements for both Non O-A & O-X ( viz. 400k IP & 40k OP ) the other plans all exceed these minimum requirements.

The Standard Plus and up plans meet the minimum financial requirements per se, but they don’t qualify you to apply for Non O-A or O-X visa.

Only policies mentioned here do:
https://longstay.tgia.org

Archived