BANGKOK 23 July 2019 04:28
Jingthing

Is it a thing in Thailand (or China) to tamper with unliked customer's restaurant food?

What's the cultural situation in Thailand (or China if you know it) when there is  a conflict between a customer and a restaurant and the customer comes back because the food is so damn good?

In the U.S. there is an "urban myth" that waiters and kitchen staff will do all kinds of nasty things to the food for very trivial reasons. Being a beyatch, not tipping 25 percent, or sometimes just because they hate their lives and it's good sport.

What about in Thailand (and China)?

"I'm asking for a friend" who had a conflict with the Chinese owner of Chinese restaurant in Thailand that actually cost the restaurant money. Not just a comped dish or two, I'm talking actually serious money. Without going into any more detail because it's not OK to name and shame, the "friend" was 100 percent in the right, and the restaurant was 100 percent in the wrong.

But the "friend" says he needs to go back. So in this culture (with the Chinese element added) what are the chances the food served will be "deliberately contaminated?"

P.S. -- do not waste your energy trying to demand more details about the incident and how it cost the restaurant money. Ain't gonna happen. 

• Haha 1

Yeah but in U.S. culture people talk about it openly. It's definitely a thing on people's minds. Not sure if that's the case here (or in China). 

Just now, darksidedog said:

Trust me! I lived in China for nearly three years and I should have received compensation for pretty much everything they served up to me for the whole duration. And I hadn't even pissed them off. Wouldn't dream of going back to somewhere that I had.

The conflict wasn't about bad food. Their food is excellent. The question here is if "messing" with restaurant food is culturally normal here (and in China) for when there is bad blood with a customer. There are other things they could do. Such as giving really bad and slow service. But that's not gross in the same way.

I too have spent time in China and never heard such a story there, but I obviously wasn't a local and if they were talking such tales I wouldn't have known or understood it anyway. 😁.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Jeez, this has got to be a troll post. no need to ask such questions, surely the answer is obvious it happens in any country, and no matter how many times you try to rephrase your silly question.

It's a real situation. I don't see how that translates into a troll post. I agree the answer is obvious in the U.S. You don't go back. But different cultures have different norms. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I've never worked in a restaurant but I did use to know a kitchen staff person in the U.S. at one of my family's favorite restaurants. One of those places that had been serving for 100 years. He told me that he regularly farted onto people's pies just for fun, nothing personal to the customers. It was more about hating the bosses. Hopefully he was just one isolated perv. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Agree, I spent many months every year for 12 years in several cities in China, had fabulous food everywhere and as already mentioned lots of different regional approaches to food with fabulous flavours etc., whether in cheap small places or 5 star venues. 

Many times I stayed on the executive floor of the New World Imperial hotel in Shanghai, in the early evening you could watch several young talented chefs preparing dishes not often seen on menus, usually enough for perhaps 5 or 6 guests who were enjoying a free beer or wine after work, then they would prepare another delight, after 4 or 5 dishes there was voting and the winning young chef got a prize of a bottle of wine, plus wonderful dim sum delights all labelled by region and more. Wonderful food.

And we often went to a couple of restaurants which specialized in the real Peking Duck 'event', almost a piece of theatre, and if in a private room we had young waiters sitting with us to wrap the delicacies, prepare the next item and put in front of each quest as we went through the event. Great memories. 

On the Bund we often took clients to a Chinese German restaurant which had blended both cuisines into gastronomic delights. And we drank German beer. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Fast food restaurants in the US have a bad reputation brought on by teens employees claiming to have added disgusting material to their foods...I personally believe their claims of wrong doing...

How much worse might other food handlers in other countries be?

Posted (edited)

I'm sure there is likely some spite all over the world in the restaurants

I knew waitresses in the US claimed visine in coffee was a good payback

As for Thailand....sheesh workers openly pick their noses even in restaurants so safe to assume

whether your nice or not your taking part in some extras 😁

Edited by mania
  • Like 1