Retirement extension on existing non O-A visa extension

Hi all, grateful for advice...My Non O-A visa expires mid August,I left a few weeks ago and have a permitted to stay stamp till April 2020., I obtained this to keep my OA alive when I left .

I now want to transfer this to a regular one year retirement extension on my return(October )....The question is can I do that any time between October and April or do I have to wait till 30 days before the permitted to stay date in April?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

After the enter before date on your O-A Visa (mid Aug) you cannot re-enter to continue your permission of stay until April 2020, unless you obtained a re-entry permit.

Did you obtain one?

Edited by Tanoshi

2 hours ago, patinchis said:

I left a few weeks ago and have a permitted to stay stamp till April 2020

That permit to stay is only still valid if you bought a re-entry permit before you left.

If you didn't buy a re-entry permit, and enter after August, you will only be stamped in for 30 days unless you buy a new non-immigrant visa.

I now want to transfer this to a regular one year retirement extension on my return(October )....The question is can I do that any time between October and April or do I have to wait till 30 days before the permitted to stay date in April?

If you have a re-entry permit you will be stamped in until April 2020 and can only apply for a 1 year extension within the last 30 days. There's no advantage in doing so before then. 

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I left a few weeks ago and have a permitted to stay stamp till April 2020.

Confusing. Are you still in Thailand or outside? You left few weeks ago. You get permitted to say when entering Thailand not when you leave. 
If you're outside Thailand and the date on your visa STICKER says valid until August 2019, you must return to Thailand before that date. 

For one millionth time, the date on your VISA sticker is for the validity of visa that means the date on or before you can present yourself to the border IO to ask for permission to enter the country. The date on the entry stamp (square stamp on a passport page) is the date up to which you can stay in Thailand without being an over-stayer. That stamp does not allow you to enter Thailand or present yourself to the IO at the border for permission to enter. You need a reentry permit for that.

• Like 2

You should wait until a month before your permitted to stay date to do an Extension. There is no reason to do it earlier unless you are deliberately trying to engineer a preferred time of year for renewal. (Or are planning a trip out of Thailand around that time). Some offices may not even entertain an early application. 

• Like 1

You get a new one year permission to stay every time you enter the country with a valid, unexpired non imm O-A visa (the visa you got from an embassy or consulate).

You could have a permission to stay (from an immigration officer at a border or airport) that expires long after the visa expires, but once the visa expires you can only exit and re-enter the country with a re-entry permit, if you want tol preserve your existing permission to stay. 

The visa allows you to enter the country and the permission to stay allows you to remain IN the country. Once the visa expires, you no longer have a visa to enter the country. You therefore need a re-entry permit, otherwise your existing permission to stay will be cancelled and, if you meet the requirements, you'll only be given a 30 day visa exempt entry, in which case you'll be back at step one in applying for a new retirement extension of stay ... you'll need a non-imm O or OA visa entry plus all the other requirements.

Doing that, intentionally or accidentally, will reset you annual extension application date.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Thank you for your input. Can I please ask for some clarification, just to make sure I understand.

I am in Thailand on a non-OA multiple entry Visa. If I want to apply for a yearly extension of stay, it would be best to apply for this before my exisiting visa's expiry date is over. Is this correct?

I understand that to apply and obtain the extension of stay, the criteria - THB 800K, etc need to be met, which is not an issue

Thanks

you therefore need a re-entry permit, otherwise your existing permission to stay will be cancelled and, if you meet the requirements, you'll only be given a 30 day visa exempt entry, in which case you'll be back at step one in applying for a new retirement extension of stay ... you'll need a non-imm O or OA visa entry plus all the other requirements.

Put it another way. Let's say you did a trip outside los and reenter just before mid august when your O-A visa expires. You would be stamped in with permission of stay 12 months. Means your able to remain in los till mid Aug 2020. Then up to 30 days or 45 in some imm offices you apply for your next 12 month permission of stay. After (in this example) you wish to exit and reenter Thailand post your last entry you will need buy a reentry permit. Then every yr you do an extension you need a reentry permit if you wish to exit and reenter los.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maltese Falcon said:

I am in Thailand on a non-OA multiple entry Visa. If I want to apply for a yearly extension of stay, it would be best to apply for this before my exisiting visa's expiry date is over. Is this correct?

No.

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maltese Falcon said:

No and it would not likely be possible since your permit to stay from a one year entry would likely be after it expires. You will be extending your permit to stay not the visa.

As  written before you can get a total stay from a OA visa of almost 2 years by doing an entry just before it expires. Then a re-entry permit to keep it that last entry valid if you want to travel.

• Like 1

Yes I have a re entry permit stamped 7th April 2020

As I posted above;

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you have a re-entry permit you will be stamped in until April 2020 and can only apply for a 1 year extension within the last 30 days. There's no advantage in doing so before then