what's the total cost to convert a cambodian squat toilet to a normal toilet?

ghworker2010

We have a small business in Thailand. One of our new workers brings their daughter 8 yrs old to work all the time which is great for my daughter. Yesterday I found out that they have been spending lots of time in our modern toilets bc its so new to her. Apparently they have a cambodian style squat toilet (hole in the ground). The girl has been getting selfies with the toilet in the background. 

I feel a bit sorry for them and was thinking of paying for an upgrade at their home. 

Anyone ever done this? Total estimate cost? I assume I would first need to see what plumbing is required? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dunno.

Buy a toilet, not the really cheap ones, so say THB4000.

Plumbing is easy enough, say THB500 - 1000, maybe a wall needs to be pierced

Guessing that the results go into a conventional cesspit.

Tiling would be nice? Bum gun?

Dont waste ur money on an expensive toilet with flush etc. Just get a pan toilet (no cistern) and a bucket ladle to flush / rinse. I had one in a home I lived worked a treat. Cisterns up country with the silty water fail regularly and they wont be able to fix it.

Just beware sometimes acts of genuine good faith can be misinterpreted here. I had a few unusual reactions to things like that in the village from people offended as if you were insinuating they were poor to a bloke thinking I was after his exremely unnatractive wife. I used to like to especially help kids in need but often elders would be jealous as I shudve done something for them, as they are higher in the pecking order ???????? It was explained to me that Thais do not understand empathy or kind heartedness and will view it in two ways. Either you will want something in return or you are just stupid. That was my experience anyway

6 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Anyone ever done this? Total estimate cost? I assume I would first need to see what plumbing is required? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Our toilet on farm was a squat toilet pan over a cess pit, we replaced it with 700 baht standard toilet pan which came with a lid seat.

Ready mix bag of cement and 400 labour.

It already had bum gun and a water supply to fill a small dustbin.

If tiling wanted 80 baht per m2 to fix and end of line tiles can be bought cheap and you can mix em too.

I got all above from Global house and used local labour.

11 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

The girl has been getting selfies with the toilet in the background. 

I feel a bit sorry for them and was thinking of paying for an upgrade at their home

She may be taking photos for amusement. Some people prefer an Asian style toilet to a western toilet ... if that's what you mean by "normal."

An Asian or Squat toilet can be more than a simple hole in the ground. Maybe you need to be sure which they want before imposing something on them, no matter how well intentioned you may be.

asian.jpg.a1144be893dbb80f0dfd18b74b65e5e9.jpg

You could drop in and chat with the family about that first. I'm sure they'll be dining out for months based on that conversation.

ifyou go with the western toilet, throw in this sign too.

image.png.ef8b8270ed138a362888ae795dc381f3.png

another thing to think about is the tank in the ground,when we upgraded ,we had to put in a bigger holding tank as the flush system users  a lot more water than a scoop.

The OP might want to reflect a little further. Squat toilets are actually healthier than seated toilets in terms of opening the bowel. Less effort.

Same with toilet paper and bum guns. Westerners using toilet paper are far more prone to hemorrhoids.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The OP might want to reflect a little further. Squat toilets are actually healthier than seated toilets in terms of opening the bowel. Less effort.

Same with toilet paper and bum guns. Westerners using toilet paper are far more prone to hemorrhoids.

Far healthier until you fill your shorts with crap and pee as happened to me the first time I tried the squattie at a restaurant, not to mention trying to get back up again!!!

The gf, now wife was a lot of help - her simple (and so logical )advice was 'why didn't you use the ladies toilet?" Apparently it had a western style dunny.

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Far healthier until you fill your shorts with crap and pee as happened to me the first time I tried the squattie at a restaurant, not to mention trying to get back up again!!!

The gf, now wife was a lot of help - her simple (and so logical )advice was 'why didn't you use the ladies toilet?" Apparently it had a western style dunny.

We are trained to sit from early childhood. Asians are trained to squat. It's not surprising you could not handle the rather radical change.

Did your GF say what she was going to do if you were arrested?

"...normal toilet"       Not sure what you mean by "normal toilet".  A squat toilet is just as much a "normal toilet" as any other type of toilet.  And they are actually more healthy for the process of elimination and more....  I got used to it after a few months. I'm older... in my 60's, so it took me a while to get used to using the squat toilet, and develop the leg strangth.  But now it's really very easy and I actually feel better. And I use either a bum gun or the water ladle to clean myself.   I actually prefer it now much more than the western toilets I was raised with.

1. Waste is expelled more easily, quickly and completelysquatting_the_best_toilet-posture_l.gif?
  2. A cleaner and healthier colon.
  3. No cost, natural remedy and treatment for hemorrhoids and constipation.
  4. Prevents waste from entering into and contaminating the small intestine.
  5. Flexing of the thighs against the lower abdomen supports the intestines, and help to prevent hernias.
  6. Straightens the final pathway between the rectum and the anus – making it easy for the colon to be emptied easily, without straining.
  7. Prevent stagnation of waste (fecal stagnation), which gives increased protection against colon cancer and inflammatory bowel diseases.
  8. Protects the pelvic floor and also pelvic nerves responsible for prostate health, bladder control and sexuality.
  9. Help mothers-to-be prepare for a more natural and comfortable delivery.
  10. https://bhls.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/nine-benefits-of-squatting-in-toilet/

On 6/25/2019 at 7:23 AM, Lacessit said:

We are trained to sit from early childhood. Asians are trained to squat. It's not surprising you could not handle the rather radical change.

Did your GF say what she was going to do if you were arrested?

I'm in my 60's and got used to the squat toilet.  It just takes some time.. in my case, being older, it took a few weeks of building the leg strength and bit more flexibility.  . .and just getting used to it. For the first while your going to feel awkward or even be very awkward at it.  But after some time had gone by... I got totally used to it and comfortable with it. 

Bum gun hose or ladle does a great job cleaning with your other hand...   And if you wear quick drying underwear and pants you don't even need toilet paper....  

And I found out the squat toilet is actually healthier for you for "elimination". 

• 1 month later...

Archived