Can Anyone Fill Me In On Songkla Town?

Robroy

Am having to 'relocate' rapidly from Chiang Mai - the air pollution levels have just reached "critical" and are still rising - and am thinking that with Phuket & Samui overdeveloped and all the garbage on the beach at Lanta, Phi Phi, et al, maybe Songkla was worth a shot.

Am looking for a house or apartment walking distance to beach for maybe a couple of months for a start.

I'm not that fussy about the house/apartment (could pay to 15,000 baht), tho it would need to have Internet on: I am a trader and need a reliable connection 24/7 for work.

Any suggestions/leads appreciated - regarding living in/near Songkla town generally, or actual accommodation specifically.

Thanks a lot.

Any suggestions/leads appreciated - regarding living in/near Songkla town generally, or actual accommodation specifically.

Thanks a lot.

Songkhla has beautiful beaches but was as boring as a cemetery 15 years ago when there were no bombings in the south. property and rentals in the area are dirt cheap.

there are plenty of places to rent in Songkhla town. - probably pay a bit more than CM. Stay the first night in a hotel then wander around town. Its a compact town

The beach can get dirty from storms or when it rains all the trash is washed off the streets onto the beach

Don't look for the "fast lane" in Songkhla... but you could do a hel_l of a lot worse for a place to hang out and do your trading.

Can't comment on rents... but I would think your budget would work.

I don't live there (50 km away)... but visit often. It's also on my "short-list" for a place to retire in the south.

BTW... if you want a nice long weekend, the wonderful islands of Satun and Trang are just a few hours away.

• 2 weeks later...

What will you miss from Chiang Mai?

Well, for me, number 1 was the food. Compared to cm, the fresh fruits are mostly crap, same with the vegies... I missed being smiled at- It may not seem like much, I suppose, but you will notice it...I missed cm restarants, but I'm pretty sure they still have one or two there... You'll miss the vegetation in Songkhla.. Not much at the homes, or anywhere else... The rental housing still sucks, it seems, too...

Samila beach is the only nice place to relax in Songkhla- The ONLY thing not in Chiang Mai...

Edited by Ajarn

• 3 months later...

Thanks a lot.

Songkhla has beautiful beaches but was as boring as a cemetery 15 years ago when there were no bombings in the south. property and rentals in the area are dirt cheap.

Really? I have been trying to buy and house I feel that they are on the high side. A "project house" I saw which is not so great looking cost around 6-7 million baht. Most houses are going for 2-4 million baht.

Edited by evilinc