Gloria Jean’s Coffees offer rich aroma to Thai petrol-station market

Gloria Jean’s Coffees offer rich aroma to Thai petrol-station market

By THE NATION

n8.jpeg

Rojana Homsin, the director of operations for Primo Food and Beverage Co Ltd

AUSTRALIAN coffee chain, Gloria Jean’s Coffees, is coming to Thailand with a first-year target of 30 branches as it brings the aroma of coffee to Caltex Gas Station throughout the country.

Boasting above 800 branches in 50 countries in the world, including 12 in Thailand so far, the company’s copyright has been owned by Primo Food and Beverage since 2007. Billing itself as a “premium grade” coffeehouse, Gloria Jean’s uses only “specially selected” Arabica varieties.

The pattern on its ceramic coffee cup was co-designed by renowned artist ML Chiratorn Chirapravati. 

Rojana Homsin, the director of operations for Primo Food and Beverage Co Ltd, said Gloria Jean’s Coffees is a coffee-house brand of a world class premium standard, with its origins in Australia.

“Customers have a passion for the art of coffee, a brand that is dedicated to getting the best coffee with the story of travel in search of speciality coffee beans of only 100-per cent Arabica varieties from all over the world to get a quality coffee in their hands,” she said. The coffee shop business in Thailand has a high growth rate, with coffee having become a well-known beverage here a long time ago.

But the characteristics, popularity and behaviour of Thai coffee drinkers differ from that of foreigners. But they can have confidence in the quality of the Gloria Jean’s Coffees brand, which has the same quality control standards throughout the world from the selection of species to the roasting process under the control of a coffee expert, to imbuing the coffee beans with a unique flavour to being vacuum packed to avoid spoilage, said Rojana.

“Consumers can be confident that every coffee, every cup you drink, delivers freshness and is to the same standard as that for everyone around the world.”

Gloria Jean’s Coffees has also collaborated with the Rainforest Alliance to support the conservation and protection of wildlife, natural vegetation, ecology and environment, as well as to promote the creation of housing and to provide career education in coffee production to for local communities in many countries. Under the collaboration, Gloria Jean’s Coffees choose to source more than 85 per cent of their coffee from farms that have been Rainforest Alliance certified, which can be seen from the symbol that is attached to every package.

She said that in addition, the company has expanded its business.

“We see the premium coffee shop business as an investment business, with the business opportunities still opening up. Looking just at the premium coffee shops, it can be see that the sales volume continues to increase with the behaviour of consumers turning to drinking roasted coffee instead of instant coffee and their more meticulous selection of products. Plus there’s the quality of our brand’s products, therefore ensuring that the premium fresh coffee business will definitely change Thai coffee consumption behaviour. With an initial investment of Bt2.1 million, prepare to be the owner of a Gloria Jean’s Coffee business immediately,” said Rojana.

By the end of this year, she said, the company will have rolled out two franchise lines. The first will be the premium coffee-shop format, while the second will be “Expresso by Gloria Jean’s” outlets in partnership with Caltex. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Corporate/30371669

thenation_logo.jpg

34 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

didn't know Gloria Jean's Coffees was an Australian brand, now if it had been called something like Ridgy Didge Bloody Good Coffee then the penny may have dropped.

or Drongo Coffee ?? Mongrel Blend???

Originally  fou8nded by an American couple, the Australian owned franchise was sold to a Brazilian entity in 2014, if you do company searches.

Little bit of subterfuge happening with ownerships etc

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

But the characteristics, popularity and behaviour of Thai coffee drinkers differ from that of foreigners

what does that mean, they like "num con" in it?

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Gloria Jean’s Coffees has also collaborated with the Rainforest Alliance to support the conservation and protection of wildlife, natural vegetation, ecology and environment,

How about their policy on single use plastic?

Do they even use plastic cups? Can customer's use their own cups? Perhaps they use ceramic coffee cups?

For a start-up claiming the usual CSR about the environment, I can't see where this has been addressed. They should be making a definite effort to promote no use of plastic.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

How about their policy on single use plastic?

Do they even use plastic cups? Can customer's use their own cups? Perhaps they use ceramic coffee cups?

For a start-up claiming the usual CSR about the environment, I can't see where this has been addressed. They should be making a definite effort to promote no use of plastic.

Not to mention that no doubt their shops will be using A/C run directly from mains electricity rather then using fans solely using solar power, with battery back-up. But that would cost and won't attract customers and earn them money would it ?  Seems like yet another business jumping on the environment bandwagon.  Perhaps there should be an annual award for all these types of businesses, it could be called "The Annual Environment Hypocrite award".    A nice plaque too to hang in the outlets made from plastic straws and cups would be appropriate. ????

6 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Not to mention that no doubt their shops will be using A/C run directly from mains electricity rather then using fans solely using solar power, with battery back-up. But that would cost and won't attract customers and earn them money would it ?  Seems like yet another business jumping on the environment bandwagon.  Perhaps there should be an annual award for all these types of businesses, it could be called "The Annual Environment Hypocrite award".    A nice plaque too to hang in the outlets made from plastic straws and cups would be appropriate. ????

Absolutely.

For years I've had a cynical attitude regarding CSR  - Corporate Social Responsibility - a management phrase that companies love to push on their websites.

Their marketing department will claim how much they are helping others, saving the planet, etc.

To quote the article: "Gloria Jean’s Coffees has also collaborated with the Rainforest Alliance to support the conservation and protection of wildlife, natural vegetation, ecology and environment,"

In reality it's just a way to appear concerned while at the same time promoting their business.

To be even more cynical, someone could be mistaken for thinking "Corporate Social Responsibility" is an anagram of "The Annual Environment Hypocrite award".

2 hours ago, alant said:

what does that mean, they like "num con" in it?

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

But the characteristics, popularity and behaviour of Thai coffee drinkers differ from that of foreigners.

in all the times i have been into Cafe Amazon i don't think i have ever seen a Thai order a hot coffee. Thais wouldn't recognise a decent coffee even if it bit them on the bum!  If they do order a coffee it is iced and is full of sugar and maybe condensed milk. I always felt it is a waste to do the espresso style coffee for the sweetened iced coffee. Much easier and faster if they did a drip coffee for that, then instead of having 28 people serving behind the counter, they'd only need 20.

23 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

in all the times i have been into Cafe Amazon i don't think i have ever seen a Thai order a hot coffee. Thais wouldn't recognise a decent coffee even if it bit them on the bum!  If they do order a coffee it is iced and is full of sugar and maybe condensed milk. I always felt it is a waste to do the espresso style coffee for the sweetened iced coffee. Much easier and faster if they did a drip coffee for that, then instead of having 28 people serving behind the counter, they'd only need 20.

the vast majority do not know much about coffee just like the vast majority in usa, canada. italians, and italian culture countries do better.

a small % of thais know a lot about coffee. specialty roasters like peaberry. the owner went to europe and usa to study.

gloria jeans is similar to charbucks

27 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the vast majority do not know much about coffee

True! They weren't bought up as coffee drinkers, 25 years ago it was near impossible to get a passable cup of hot coffee in Thailand, Nescafe was about the only thing on offer, there were NO coffee shops or stalls.

27 minutes ago, CGW said:

True! They weren't bought up as coffee drinkers, 25 years ago it was near impossible to get a passable cup of hot coffee in Thailand, Nescafe was about the only thing on offer, there were NO coffee shops or stalls.

My first visit to Vietnam a few weeks ago. Didn't have a decent expresso ('short black' to an Aussie) in the 2 weeks I was there.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Didn't have a decent expresso ('short black' to an Aussie) in the 2 weeks I was there.

Strong black coffee to an ignorant Pom! - the coffee marketing guru's have done well introducing all these "new" names for coffee's, I only drink black coffee, invariably after ordering in Thailand they will ask me if I want milk.

I believe a "black coffee" is no more, now its a "americana" or something along those lines - I order black - dum!

3 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

in all the times i have been into Cafe Amazon i don't think i have ever seen a Thai order a hot coffee. Thais wouldn't recognise a decent coffee even if it bit them on the bum!  

You the coffee expert, but you drink Amazon??? Gas pump coffee. YUK 555555

A lot of Thais drink hot coffee. At home, more than ice coffee.

A lot of Thais recognize good coffee and grow good coffee in north Thailand, they don’t sell that at Amazon.

Have the Gloria Jean at Phuket Airport. About 170 baht with the VAT, taste ok, not great. But better than the Amazon!!! Serve in plastic. I think the business will fail. Expensive, and not so good.

The best coffee shop is the small one with the clever boss. Have many type, up to the customer.

Not Amazon, Starbucks, Gloria Jean. “Southern Coffee” not to bad for the franchise one. 

“bit on the bum” 555555

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

You the coffee expert, but you drink Amazon??? Gas pump coffee. YUK 555555

A lot of Thais drink hot coffee. At home, more than ice coffee.

A lot of Thais recognize good coffee and grow good coffee in north Thailand, they don’t sell that at Amazon.

Have the Gloria Jean at Phuket Airport. About 170 baht with the VAT, taste ok, not great. But better than the Amazon!!! Serve in plastic. I think the business will fail. Expensive, and not so good.

The best coffee shop is the small one with the clever boss. Have many type, up to the customer.

Not Amazon, Starbucks, Gloria Jean. “Southern Coffee” not to bad for the franchise one. 

“bit on the bum” 555555

did i actually say i drink the coffee in Amazon? I actually go there to buy the chocolate coated coffee beans, not the best in the world but haven't found them anywhere else yet.

The article is about chain-shop coffee. Obviously smaller cafes are much better. I've been to the north and seen the coffee berries being grown and harvested, but usually the run-of-the-mill suppliers don't size the beans properly before roasting and it ends up with uneven cooked coffee beans. No doubt there are Thai companies that do it properly.

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

My humble opinion of the "quality" of the product, is it makes Starbucks look acceptable.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/primo-bought-by-brazilian-giant-jbs-for-145-billion-20141121-11rh4s.html

The above link gives a better insight into the owners of GJ

\You have better coffee and tea choices

Not exactly sure the connection between the takeover of a ham, bacon and smallgoods producer... and Gloria Jeans Coffees... ????

Gloria Jeans has been part of the ASX listed Retail Food Group since 2014. RFG shares have been in freefall ever since concerns were raised publicly about the way it does business. 

ASX: RFG

RFG.JPG

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

did i actually say i drink the coffee in Amazon? I actually go there to buy the chocolate coated coffee beans, not the best in the world but haven't found them anywhere else yet.

I actually did not say you did.  ?? Just ask

i will try the choclate coffee bean. Sound good.

11 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

After ripping off Gloria's Jeans? 

Timmies are far bigger than GJs and been around longer. In Canada twice as many locations as McDonalds. There are a few in Manila now and Thailand is in the works.

8 hours ago, kkerry said:

Timmies are far bigger than GJs and been around longer. In Canada twice as many locations as McDonalds. There are a few in Manila now and Thailand is in the works.

I dare say you didn't understand my post. 

Archived